Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox filler plug rounded, any ideas?

Mac, do you have a part number for the plug or a page link from new.rosepassion please.

I've been onto Porsche and they can't find it listed as an available part.

Thanks

I got the number from the gt3 diagram so it may or may not be the same as yours! I didn't do much searching so you if you have a go you might be able to find a reference linking it to the na box, it does look the same though!

No is 99630351900

Thanks, yes that's the one!

Special order item from Germany but it should be here for Thursday, tool ordered too so fingers crossed!!

Sounds like a major pain! The old special order... I know those words from Porsche better than I ever hoped I would!

I'm not surprised they don't keep one in stock, neither of the parts guys or the technician they asked had ever heard of it. I suppose no one has been daft enough to take one out before!

:floor:

How many times have you kicked yourself over the weekend for not watching that you tube clip..........

Have read this thread and really felt for you Grey 996. Trying to do some sensible maintenance and ended up in a mess (we have all been there).

My other thought was that this thread is a credit to 911UK - its why I come on here. People helping people. Well done to all!

Ditto
"My other thought was that this thread is a credit to 911UK - its why I come on here. People helping people. Well done to all!"

I'm having a play with my shifter, I managed to undo the plug with some heat on the casing and some decent mole grips but unfortunately when I wound the plug out the shifter arm dropped to the left of the bearing and the spring fell out, I think it moved due to the spring pressure.

There may be a slightly better result with yours as the gearbox is still together and the main shifter in the gear housing is sitting almost against this shifter and might have held it in position, plus the shifter rods are still in place so there is not a lot of room for things to move too far. My next thought though was because it was driven I can't see it being sat close to where it should be any longer :nooo:

I'll upload pictures later to help explain.

Kingb4 said:
Have read this thread and really felt for you Grey 996. Trying to do some sensible maintenance and ended up in a mess (we have all been there).

My other thought was that this thread is a credit to 911UK - its why I come on here. People helping people. Well done to all!

Absolutely, the help has been amazing, such a great forum.

infrasilver said:
I'm having a play with my shifter, I managed to undo the plug with some heat on the casing and some decent mole grips but unfortunately when I wound the plug out the shifter arm dropped to the left of the bearing and the spring fell out, I think it moved due to the spring pressure.

There may be a slightly better result with yours as the gearbox is still together and the main shifter in the gear housing is sitting almost against this shifter and might have held it in position, plus the shifter rods are still in place so there is not a lot of room for things to move too far. My next thought though was because it was driven I can't see it being sat close to where it should be any longer :nooo:

I'll upload pictures later to help explain.

Thanks infra,

I don't think i'll be able to remove the plug anyway with it being on top of the box as access is so tight. Also I don't want to risk anything else dropping or falling out of place. Looking at your video again, the lever seems to pivot on the gear selector so I think the spring action will help to keep things in place.

I'm hoping that by turning the heat selector I can position the arm so I can get the pin back in.

I understand this will not be as easy for you in the tight confines of the selector area but you could do with looking into the hole at least to access where you are at?

Removed plug with heat and mole grips.

YxP7WkC.jpg

As soon as the plug came out and let the selector arm get loose this is how it all ended up, the gearbox was on the bench and I didn't move at all, just the pressure from the spring pushing the selector arm away and to the left of the bearing.

A86196A.jpg

Disassembled parts on the work bench.

GQBW1ha.jpg

I reassembled the arm and spring without the plug/pin in place and it sat there fine but the arm pivot is out of line.

uBB6KDW.jpg

There is nothing else in the plug hole.

YfxSAVM.jpg

Yellow marks are where the selector rods all sit.

Orange area is a metal plate the helps align the selector rods.

Red is where the gear housing selector sits when the two halves of the gearbox are assembled.

uV6nVYx.jpg

From all the above I think the selector arm is still in that area but I do think the spring may have made its way to the bottom of that area close to the bottom yellow mark, especially as it was driven and all the selectors would have moved.

If this is the case I think the box will need removing and the cases split, it will only be labour charges for this unless you can do it yourself or at least remove the box to save on that cost?

Thanks, removing the plug and looking down the hole will be fine, I was talking about the cap that retains the spring though from what you've posted in the pic I really need to see where the spring is!

The tool will be at the OPC on Wednesday so i'll get it back on the lift tomorrow night to see what I can get at!!!!

You won`t be able to get that spring retaining cap out without removing the gearbox, the page from the manual is below.
You need to have a look down the plug/pin hole to see if the selector arm is anywhere near alignment with the rear pivot hole in the casting.

0d4w4Ci.jpg

Wow, if that is a circlip this may be a huge help but you would still need to drop the box to get at it properly I would guess or have very flexible hands and eyes.

Just looking back at my picture, I scraped this with a screwdriver but thought it was just crud left, looking again and closer I think it is actually a circlip as mentioned above.

KDXqajS.jpg

If you can remove this obviously the spring will be missing but you could go fishing with a length of wire with a magnet on the end. You could line the lever arm up without the spring and its plug in place then re-fit the spring once the pivot plug is back in.

I'll have a go at this tomorrow, drop the spring as far as I can and try to fish it out, having this hole open and using the plug hole you may be able to line it back up.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back