Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Acceptable weight loss

Just bought a trw ps pump on eBay so it looks like the frunk mounted ps is going to happen. Had been trying to buy a few on eBay but no one wants to post to Northern Ireland due to extra cost. One has gotten back to me so I'll need to sort out the pipes of anyone can help.

On the seats, I'm unsure. My contact got back to me with all the details of his but they were weighing in at 11.5kg so not worth the bother.
I might leave the seats and concentrate on the rest of the refresh and sorting the suspension, then paint etc. I'd like to actually get using the car at some stage

...I removed the rear wiper and saved 2 kg of weight and I can feel the difference in performance... :floor:

NedHan79 said:
Just bought a trw ps pump on eBay so it looks like the frunk mounted ps is going to happen. Had been trying to buy a few on eBay but no one wants to post to Northern Ireland due to extra cost. One has gotten back to me so I'll need to sort out the pipes of anyone can help.

On the seats, I'm unsure. My contact got back to me with all the details of his but they were weighing in at 11.5kg so not worth the bother.
I might leave the seats and concentrate on the rest of the refresh and sorting the suspension, then paint etc. I'd like to actually get using the car at some stage

Pics of pump? Where will you mount it?

GMG said:
...I removed the rear wiper and saved 2 kg of weight and I can feel the difference in performance... :floor:

Perhaps it was the reduced drag rather than the weight reduction?!?!?

Sim996 I haven't got the pump yet so can't help on that one. I'll mount it in the frunk but I'm not sure yet on position as I need to sort out the pipes first

GMG, I tried to give context in terms of my skill set/experience and that others weren't likely to notice the difference but you're still falling into the trap of judging others by your own capabilities rather than theirs. You're also taking the rather unedifying step of quoting someone and then adding words that I didn't write. I stated I could notice a difference, not that there was any perceptible difference in performance.

...if you believe that you noticed a difference of 2 kg then you must have magical powers, which of course you don't and neither could you or anyone notice such a trace change on a car weighing close to 1400kg with driver and fuel...

Martin996RSR said:
We don't have a secondary air pump on UK market 996.1 cars.

Or at least we didn't have, until the 2000 MY cars were introduced.
My C4, registered Jun 2001 certainly has one.

MC

Now now boys. I'm only looking for a little info on weather or not to bother with the diet, it a slagging match.

As I said, I've a pump bought on eBay but not here yet. I can't get out to the garage atm anyway so I'm only really doing my homework. I've been concentrating on another part of the car to be renewed and improved.

There's always something :D

Sorry Ned, it just grips my ***** when people who think they know better try to make their point with rofl smilies rather than reasoned arguments.

CMG, it's not magical powers, simply obsessive attention to detail, several decades of driving, racing, developing race cars and road cars and test driving them on road and track, as well as doing the wiper before/after test drives about 45 minutes apart, meaning my baseline was very recent. Had it been a gap of a day or two then I probably wouldn't have noticed anything. If this is too far fetched a notion for you to grapple with then I suggest you just try to move on.

Just had a quick google and my current battery is HEAVY :eek:
It's a Yuasa 3017 which weighs in at 21.2kg so a decent saving to be had there.

Also my power steering pump has landed so I'm very keen to hear advice from those who have fitted them. I could definitely do with some pointers to get it right first time

I've done some updates on the power steering pump on the other thread if anyone wants to know.

I now have a random thought.
I see 'muffler deletes" on google all the time. This has to be a significant weight loss. I have aftermarket stuff in already but thought about whipping the silencers out. Obviously this would be seriously loud and there's the power loss issue that people all claim. Noise aside, would the weight difference be enough to offset the power loss?

If I was to try this, I'd just be making my own pipes but I'm thinking of something with a bike style end can straight through silencer, albeit Avery short one or, removing the cats and fitting this type of silencer in their place.

This is obviously only a random idea but it's one that's an easy option to make. I'm not keen on the no silencer route as in the 'muffler delete ' purely for noise as I find the cars plenty loud enough now. FYI I ready have a full stainless steel exhaust including cars and headers.

No silencer on any four stroke engine adds power in comparison to having a straight pipe. Anyone who says different is simply wrong. Silencers/mufflers work by using baffles and perforated pipes to modify and take energy out of the exhaust pulses to make them quieter. Taking energy (kinetic) out of the exhaust flow slows it down and reduces the efficiency of the system. If mufflers added power then you would see them on top fuel dragsters instead of the open pipes they use.

The shorter and the straighter you make the exhaust, the lower the losses will be. The other important factor is the pipe diameter which should be sized for maximum gas speed at the point in the rev range where you want maximum torque to be. If the pipe is too big then the gas will slow down and if it's too small the flow will become choked.

I've tried running my car with just the manifolds on and it would wake the dead. Unless you really don't expect to encounter other human beings whilst the car is running then I recommend using some form of silencer.

I think the best power/weight compromise for the 996 hasn't yet been made, but it would be a variation on the Afterhours Automotive idea. This uses straight through mufflers on each side. This does away with baffles and will conserve energy in the exhaust gas at the expense of still being very loud. I think a variation on this that has the cat and muffler on a pipe run that keeps the exhaust for each bank on the same side and does away with the pipes running across the back of the car would be lighter and have less losses.

You would need to keep the bend radii in the exhaust to the absolute maximum that the packaging allows, as bends also hurt exhaust efficiency. Anyway, this arrangement would probably give fewer losses and weigh many KG less than any other 996 exhaust out there. I would expect a reasonable home welder such as yourself to be able to knock such an exhaust up from off the shelf parts for around £600, or even less if you recylced parts from your old exhaust.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back