Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Goodbye baby goodbye.

Stoddy

Spa-Francorchamps
Ok, so Henry will be going to market.
My hunt for a lower miles, 997.1 or possibly a 2 is on.

Wish list.
997.1 C2 Coupe.
2004-2005 ( don't want the higher tax bracket)
Max 60,000 miles.
Blue/Red/Grey/Silver
Black or dark red Interior (Would consider grey or sand?)
Sports seats.
3.6 or possibly 3.8 but with reputable re build.
Manual.
Cruise
Lobster claw wheels ( others considered of course)

Because this will be my daily driver, it needs to be mechanically sorted, so even if there's a wee bit of fettling needed with the body or interior, it'll still get me to work ......... and back.

As well as daily duty, I do enjoy the odd blatt around the Welsh or Scottish roads, I'll probably fit a sports exhaust and possibly lower the car slightly.

If I can stretch to a Gen 2, is it worth it? I guess I need to drive one eh?

For the right money, I'd consider a Cat D. Is that madness?

Any advice or opinions very welcome.
I've thought long and hard about re building Henry's engine but because he's a daily, I think I'll just be chasing my tail with repairs as he heads towards the 200,000 mile mark. If he were a weekender, no problem but that feeling of being on the M6 and wondering if the alternators about to give up or the water pump, or the whatever is just too stressful.

167,000 miles, pampered, honest, cherished, fettled and regularly used and loved 996 C2, soon to hit the market place.

Look forward to this lovely forums thoughts.

Rich.

:worship:

Attachments

• 687dc58b_54e4_4242_b3e9_ae9cf1cf628d_809.jpeg
    687dc58b_54e4_4242_b3e9_ae9cf1cf628d_809.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,830
If you can stretch to a Gen2 car, I would.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

You seem to have done your homework re the 997, good luck in the search my only thought is as you clearly do lots of miles as a daily dont pay a premium for a very low mile car as you will lose that very quickly. personally knowing 7k miles pa is considered Porsche ave miles I would be using that as my guide , oh yes and ideally a post march 06 car to be 100% you got the newer better IMS , if your looking 05 use the engine number guide to know if you have the newer IMS . :thumb:

T8 said:

Cheers, I'll have to convince the long haired general but I hear ya!

:lol:

Phil 997 said:
You seem to have done your homework re the 997, good luck in the search my only thought is as you clearly do lots of miles as a daily dont pay a premium for a very low mile car as you will lose that very quickly. personally knowing 7k miles pa is considered Porsche ave miles I would be using that as my guide , oh yes and ideally a post march 06 car to be 100% you got the newer better IMS , if your looking 05 use the engine number guide to know if you have the newer IMS . :thumb:

Nice one Phil,

Good advice, many thanks!

Stoddy.

Agree with Phil 997..... 3.6 is a safer bet as already said check engine numbers for larger IMS and don't forget middle of March tax was 315 after that it went up to 550

Stoddy said:
T8 said:

Just make sure the gen 2 is the same colour Job done :grin: :thumb: She doesnt need to know #bosh

spongebob squarepants said:
Stoddy said:
T8 said:

Just make sure the gen 2 is the same colour Job done :grin: :thumb: She doesnt need to know #bosh

😐🤫 :floor: :floor: :floor:

spongebob squarepants said:
Stoddy said:
T8 said:

:floor: :floor: :floor: bless them if only they knew :grin:

Here are the Engine numbers for the newer IMS bearing , hope this helps on your search . :thumb:

Last IMS revision before no IMS (Gen2 MA1 block):

997 Carrera 3.6 with engine numbers from M96/0569507475 are the new IMS design.

M96/05 = 997 3.6 Carrera NA
6 = 6 cylinders
9 = design revision
5 = year (2005)
07475 = cumulative production serial

This means some MY2005 benefit and all MY2006 onwards benefit.

997 Carrera S 3.8 with engine numbers from M97/0168509790 are the new IMS design.

M97/01 = 997 3.8 Carrera NA
6 = 6 cylinders
8 = design revision
5 = year (2005)
09790 = cumulative production serial

This means some MY2005 benefit and all MY2006 onwards benefit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back