Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Hayward & Schott Bypass ... potential issues?

Exhaust systems are probably not covered within the Porsche warranty t&c's, but it may be worth asking as my 997.2 with PSE had internal issues with one of its silencers and they fixed it, telling me that given the age and condition of my car, they had used their discretion and decided that a silencer failure should be fixed. This was around 3 years ago on a 2010 car with about 40k on the clock. You do have the the added issue of the bypass pipes being there, you'd have to re-fit the original centre silencer before discussing with the OPC.

personally I think I would just get it fixed for £350 here are the options I see repairs is option 4 not sure if 5 can be done as just a single box.

other options are.

1/new PSE exhaust £2100 - advantage none other than its new

2/new aftermarket valved cat back exhaust from someone like topgear £1000 ( they can set it up to run off the PSE switch and not the remote fob it comes with) -advantage better sounding than PSE and light stainless steel adding BHP

3/buy used PSE parts - advantage price but you may have the same issue in a few months .

4/repair your boxes -advantage price and knowing that part is sorted

5/see if you can buy just a single new use box from Porsche ( although knowing porsche you can only buy a whole exhaust and not just parts) but if you can that may be an answer price dependant . Does anyone else know if you can buy just sections of OE PSE exhausts new or not.

I would let them fix it. You don't lose your warranty, they just won't let you renew it if they spot the changes.

Have you checked the heat shields around the cats/lamda probe? They are prone to coming loose and can just be cut off. (Not worth struggling to remove lamda , then breaking it, to refit a new shield).

You'll see if you take a back wheel off.

EDIT - just read your update and see you have located the vibration.
I would test the water with a warranty claim first, call in face to face (in a different car). If you get a good feeling, return to standard and take it back.

If they subsequently reject the claim - you'll only be an hours labour out of pocket for refitting standard part.

AMS911 - I had issue regarding bolts fixing exhaust components after purchasing my 997.2 from an OPC (8 years ago). All the support bracket bolts were totally corroded which was uncovered at 1st service. I argued bitterly that in the 12 months I had owned the car (I had taken in for service after 1st year albeit it had a full service immediately prior to my purchase) the bolts could not have gone from "good" to corroded to the extent they were falling apart and surely should have been dealt with at service prior to my purchase I got no joy as this is not covered by warranty. I also got stung for new front disks and several other "consumable" parts. It rather tarnished my expectations in relation to the condition/servicing of the car by the OPC. Should I ever buy from an OPC again, I will have it independently inspected.

As for H&S bypass, I had one fitted some time ago and have never experienced any rattles etc.

Many thanks for all of the suggestions guys,

Having had a look underneath the car myself to see if any of the brackets were loose/damaged or any metal was touching I couldn't find anything. Taking into account all of the above replied I think I will be going ahead and letting H&S fix the issue.

Its a real shame about the warranty as I assume they will say its a consuamble and therefore probably not cost/time effective to put the exhaust back to stock and have it inspected etc etc. I am hoping if the boxes are opened up H&S will be able to weld everything back together properly. Will let you know how it all pans out. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back