Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What's the cheapest way of getting winter wheels/tyres?

allenh said:
Thanks for the tip off.

They're just what I'm looking for in terms of wheels, but they are £450 with summer tyres.

I've been doing a bit of shopping and winter tyres (in those sizes) are about £170 each so I'd be well over £1000 with that lot.

Plus they're in Newcastle.

It's possible that I may have to adjust my budget...

James M-S said:
There was a set for sale on one of the Facebook groups last week. 18's from a 997. £450 with summer tyres on. Struck me as a good buy if looking for a set of winters.

265/40/18
235/40/18

Might have been Porsche owners uk. (Search for Tom Burns) - posted yesterday

Could make a bid without tyres?
You could consider buying part worn winters? (If you can find some)
I put winters on my winter car ( which often gets used for work trips any time of year) the winter tyres have lasted 4 years/~15k+ miles.
I was expecting much quicker wear on dry roads at higher temps)

If you're patient a used set with used winters might come up. Good luck

These are mine which are surplus to requirements\:

The tyres are:

Vredestein wintral xtreme
205/50R17 93V M+S

255/40R17 with the same letters afterwards. I presume the M and S stands for mud and snow.

They are made in Holland.

I bought them in 2012 and used them for one winter, They have been stored in the stables in the dark since then.

The wheels are three piece split rims made in Italy, 9x17 ET47 and 7.5 x 17 ET52

Attachments

• wheels_166.jpeg
    wheels_166.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 10,633
  • tyre1_633.jpeg
    tyre1_633.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 10,633
  • tyre2_194.jpeg
    tyre2_194.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 10,633
The winter tyres are now sold.

I still have the wheels if anyone wants them before I stick them back into storage.

I have a set of 19"s with Pirelli sottozero winter tyres on. I will post them up later when I get home with pics etc. Originally on a 997 C4S, I tried them on my 996 C4S and eventually preferred the ride on 18"s so went back my original winters. I bought them on here in Feb from memory for £500 and would like to sell for the same. Based in Northants.

I put the winter tyres on

So just a postscript to this thread.

I finally got a set of wheels and put a set of brand new nokian tyres on there.

I put 17 inchers on there and all is well. The minor downside is that the wheels were refurbed and are gloss black.

Hopefull the before and after pics will show up below.

Attachments

• before_185.jpg
    before_185.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9,974
  • after_262.jpg
    after_262.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9,974
mine went on today as its getting cold.

feels like a rolls Royce now on 18s :p

If you are asking for the cheapest way, that is to buy the winter tyres and get a tyre shop to fit them to your existing wheels, swapping them back in the spring.
I have done this for several years and it works for me.
J
edit to add, it's easier to store the tyres without wheels, i just hang them form hooks on my garage ceiling.

Good point, that is the cheapest way.

Cost me about £800, but hoping to sell the second hand tyres that I bought with the wheels.

And then can save the fitting cost in subsequent years.

Plusher ride on the 17s, better fuel economy.

Finally, hope to be able to sell the wheels/tyres if/when the car goes.

But you are right, you get a bit of a storage problem!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back