Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Acceptable weight loss

One tip if you haven't done so already is weigh the car first. 1380 kg sounds low for a running car.

Winny911 the key word here is budget. I'll look at sound deadening simply because I'll have to strip the carpets back to weld new studs on the under side of the floor.

On that note, I might look at aluminium covers for under the floor as my own are cracked and broken and I could make them a lot cheaper than replace them :?:

I didn't weigh my drivers seat, but it's significant - at least as much as the hardtop I'd say. The Recaro I fitted to replace it is ~6kg, plus a bit for the base.

I'd say you'd save an easy 50kg by swapping the seats, potentially the same again stripping the cabin out - but for a road car that'd make it a miserable place to spend time.

Take the easy wins - which to me would be seats, spare wheel (sealant and a pump instead), maybe battery if you can keep it on a tender.

Now if it's an out and out track car, bin the whole interior, doors, wings, bonnet, boot lid, air con, hydraulic power steering, etc etc and replace the body panels with fibre glass.

But it'd then be fit only for driving half an hour to the track.

I think for a road car take the easy wins on weight then attend to the power - its power-to-weight after all, so look at both sides of the coin.

Had a very quick look at the numbers which I blatantly stole from Ela's thread. I'm easily looking at 85-102kgs depending on battery choice and a few other bits that I already have on(cats etc). This is without touching sound deadening so maybe a little more but I don't want to ruin it. It's more than loud enough.

This is a weekend toy at the end of the day, hopefully a track day or 2 but won't be many due to time constraints

Attachments

• 3e7e22d1_3b26_470f_9a81_c1b60e36bb26_133.png
    3e7e22d1_3b26_470f_9a81_c1b60e36bb26_133.png
    797.5 KB · Views: 5,108
I saw someone recently in the FB 996 group do a electric power steering pump in the frunk mod. That'll save a few kilos once you get rid of the original pump and all that pipework.

Oem seats With electric parts on them weight loads so try lightweight buckets

Glass is really heavy. Maybe change the rear screen and side windows to lexan if it's not a daily road car

What about the roof - you can remove the oem one and get a carbon one put in but not cheap

If you car has a sun roof then get that welded up with a panel and remove all the gubbins for the sun roof

Big yes to cycling as I have lost 10kgs doing off road mountain biking . Plus never go with more than half a tank

If you don't carry a passenger that much then take that seat out too

Remove the rear seats and put in lighter carpet

Take out the sound deadening under the carpet using heat gun and petrol. Messy and horrid job but that crap weighs a tonne!

You notice when you have someone in the car beside you don't you, has to apply when you lose a similar wait from the car.

I've lost a fair bit from my leggy Boxster, racing batt and CF seats loses 30kgs without breaking a sweat.

Toying with the idea of losing the stereo and A/C. Lost the spare wheel and jacking kit, whacked a compressor and slime in.

You will not notice 50kg's in weight loss, you may experience a placebo effect, but you wont feel any performance benefit, particularly on the road.

If you track the car 50kg may just be noticeable if your an experienced driver.

Take the easy wins, which are effectively free as your removing things from the car, spare wheel, tool kit, radio etc OEM. Once you have completed this, you need to start spending money. - OEM battery is 20kg, a lightweight alternative will save you circa 10-12kg for around £150, beyond that its starts to really cost. - Buckets are a big saving but your taking circa £1k for a pair

I would also not remove one of the fans if your using the car as a daily. - GT3RS is a mezger and you have an M96.

I have a 997 Cup car electric power steering pump, weight savings are minor over the original, there are other benefits, but significant weight savings are not one of them.

Ask yourself if you notice a significant difference in performance from when the car is full of fuel too when its nearly empty? - This equates to about 45Kg's

I was looking at that Alex as I had the steering rack dropped to do some other repairs but decided it might be more hassle than it's worth. I do have a whine which is possibly the ps pump so I might look more at it. I have the rack and subframe back in now but it's not a big job to get back at it. I wasn't keen on the arrangement in the frunk tbh.

My seat was £865, the base was around £450 IIRC, but has an integral 5/6 belt mounting bar plus mounts for the hip belts.

You can get lucky on eBay with complete sets of compressor, tyre gunk etc.

Dammit I'm not sold on any particular seat. I have a bad back so I'll have to choose carefully. Biggest problem is trying them out. I'm in Northern Ireland and they're few and far between to be blagging a sit in some else's to try out for size. I'm only considering fixed buckets as I read ela was fit to make rails to slide far enough for rear access which is crucial for me as I've kids.

Are the design 911 seats not about £450 plus vat each?

I went for the Recaro SPG as a place right next to my gym had them available for a demo-sit, as it were, alongside the version for a slightly larger framed driver. Just as you, I didn't want to spend money on something that I might not fit into.

I guess you could order and then ship back but that strikes me as a pain - speak to local Porsche clubs and see if someone has the seat you are considering maybe?

Maybe but I'm a long way off seat choice. I'm in a bit of a restoration and paint will need to be paid for first. Even that won't be until we'll into next year.
Progress is good though and I just want to keep an eye on where I'm going. I love the look of the gt3 seats but I need to keep an eye on the bank balance. My whole ethos with this car is to build it on a budget, doin almost everything myself, even hopefully a lot of the paint prep.

It won't be the best 911 in the world but it will be mine and any short comings in the work will be my own. I've already decided that I don't need the best paint job ever as I want to use this without panicking about stone chips. Been there and done that.

This one has to be used

It's worth mentioning that I have sports seats that I could sell to go towards the cost. Not mint but probably similar condition to the photo. Black leather.

What's the going rate for these?
I see them on eBay but I think some of those guys a funding a very big drug habit on their prices :floor:

Attachments

• 9883152d_88fd_4dd5_847d_873c76bbfb5d_180.png
    9883152d_88fd_4dd5_847d_873c76bbfb5d_180.png
    797 KB · Views: 2,050

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back