Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Because Racecar

Dammit said:
Good spot, I think they are these:

1IMG_1494.jpg

I've seen a lot of others for sale that look to be the same but different branding. They generally aren't the highest quality but I thought they were awesome. I bought them off a rally car so got a bargain with brand new ferrodo ds2500 pads. I gave £450 for the set up, sold my own subaru 4 pots for £170. The spent about £15k on that car and those brakes were the best thing on it. I've considered them for my own c2 but there's a long list of other bits to sort first

Sell the cab and buy a GT3. One car to do it all.
You're a glutton for punishment to do two projects with the same cars.

But I know you like the cab hence the whole making a GT3-ish cab.
In which case carry on and finish the cab and do the odd track day in that.
If the trackday bug bites then get a GT3 or a dedicated track car like an Atom or Caterfield.

Like I say (and much as I'm a big 911 fan) two cars the same is a bit pointless, regardless of one being a cab and one a coupe.

Just my 2p worth though and I know you love a project. :thumb:
Mucho money down the drain though Neil, to do it twice. :dont know:

Hi Mark, I can't disagree with any of that, I'd put forward some points to try to explain my thinking though.

The cab is a road car, I realised that I had become a bit confused as to what I was doing with it though - harness bar and so on. It's always easier to build a vehicle to do one thing well, and I was going to end up building something that tried to do two things well - a much harder bar to clear.

For example, I want to remove the rear seats and turn that area into a luggage compartment, but then maybe cover the top of the compartment with a harness bar so I couldn't drop luggage in. Didn't make sense.

Also the cab is always going to be heavy, or heavier than a coupe - especially one that's had the entire interior removed (although the cage will add some back).

I'd not want to make the cab's suspension as stiff as that of a track car either, nor drop it as low.

Also I had to get my front bumper and wing mirrors repainted after one particularly gravel-strewn track day at Brands in the cab, something I'd not bother with in a track car.

Enter the coupe idea - the chance to make something that would likely be truly awful as a road car (remember the Top Gear with May in an Aston racecar?), but that could be unmercifully beaten around Brands.

The other thing I'd like to do is to keep the engine stock in the coupe, but add the oiling modifications that we're working on and then (literally) try to break things whilst running very sticky rubber. The (published) reason for the GT3 is that the M96 wouldn't cope with >1G cornering loads due to the wet sump. So lets remove the wet sump and see what happens on track.

Finally, I love projects - and this one is an extension of the other, really. An opportunity to take what the cab is going to have and turn it up to 11, in a way that would fatally compromise a road car but in this context would make sense.

Of course, as I said in the first post - this may never happen.

Dammit said:
Toml said:
Any idea what suspension it is sitting on?

Eurocup. Ride, on my short journey, was very good.
Oh that's a shame. With the colour and shape of that top mount I was thinking a set of Intrax might have been lurking there.

Good for you Dammit for starting what could be a very interesting thread

:thumb:

Sounds an interesting potential project.

Whilst logic suggests starting with something entirely different (such as Caterham mentioned above). I can understand the desire to use the knowledge you have gained on the Cab to develop a track car.
I can also understand the satisfaction of getting the M96 engine to do things that many people have said it cant.

Would be a bit disingenuous of me not to point out that it sounds like a money-pit project. But I think you know that anyway. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens (assuming you proceed).

As an aside, I think there may be better 996 candidates out there. I suspect the dealer will have seen all the carbon and value the car accordingly, whereas its relatively worthless to you.

Honestly, I think it'd be more trouble than it's worth - the CF is lifting on most of the parts (apparently the carbon steering wheel was beyond saving hence the replacement), and I'd need to invest time into fixing them, and then I'd need to get a decent price for the parts so more time dealing with the sales process.

I think this car would suit someone with Marks attention to detail and painstaking approach to getting things 100% - the colour is great, the options rare, it could be brought back to being a really nice example, but it's a long, long way from being an acceptable car at the moment.

With a cheaper, more standard car I can, bluntly, list the entire interior at £0.99 start/collection only and not worry about it.

The cage is £1,925 plus VAT and is a big piece of work to install - it's welded into the chassis at a minimum of 16 points, and the pictures on the CC site show roof and both front and rear screens out during fitting. Unsure if that's unavoidable, and I'd be swapping the roof skin to a non-sunroof one anyway, but anyway it's going to be expensive and I'd rather focus more time on that side of things than sticking CF air vents back together and then answering a hundred "would u take £50 m8?" emails.

In all honesty I don't think it sounds like a great base other than you could use some of the bits to sell.

Problem is 2nd hand parts don't fetch that much so unless you get it for a total bargain I would say it's not worth it.

What a great idea.

Its something i'd like to have a go at "one day" in the future but i'd probably do it with a Cayman and strip absolutely everything out of it that wasn't needed...

If you do do this can you make it a continual thread as i'd love to follow...??

Thanks

This is not a bad idea, but I'd start with a different car as a base.

It would need a decent engine and gearbox, be uncrashed, and be mechanically sound, but it could be cosmetically scruffy and a wierd colour as 'becauseracecar' - you're going to strip it and cage it, not polish it and take it to shows.

You don't need to pay for good paint and cosmetic tat that you're only going to bin.

Do you have a weight target?

The £9.5k XAA C4 in Autotrader appears to have sold, so if anyone spots an unmolested aero-C4 for £not-much please let me know.

Weight- not sure what a reasonable target is tbh, I'll lose a lot by binning the entire interior, but then adding back in a linear kilometre of T45 in the cage is going to add quite a bit back I'd think.

Losing the front drive gubbins and the sunroof would drop more, but it's an unknown for me where we'd end up.

If we have to pull the screens to get the cage in then I'd replace the side windows and rear screen with Lexan, the front I'd keep glass.

=If find the right car and Because Racecar it I'll let everyone know where we end up.

I'll also try to keep it below 98dB so it can run on any track day.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back