Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Temp warning light

Creationblue

Monza
Just out for a drive this morning and noticed the warning light was flashing as I drove off. Stopped for 5mins and it was off for the journey, next start up it's back on. Any advice from you good people?

Attachments

• e174c215_0021_4c00_9a88_edca0ebddeaf_885.jpeg
    e174c215_0021_4c00_9a88_edca0ebddeaf_885.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,480
According to my owners manual, the temperature light will flash if the coolant level is too low, or if there is a fault with the engine compartment blower fan :thumb:

Have you checked coolant level?

kurlykris said:
According to my owners manual, the temperature light will flash if the coolant level is too low, or if there is a fault with the engine compartment blower fan :thumb:

T'was coolant level. Thanks for taking the effort to reply :thumb:

Just to add to this - I'd also be querying why the coolant was low......

usual suspects are:

expansion tank (hairline crack)
faulty expansion tank cap (common fault)
Leaking radiators..... VERY common with all the crud that collects in the air dams.... (usually means new rads, and while you're there, do the AC condensors)

Mine was down to leaking rads....

Hope this helps

Dan

I have a very slight leak on the OS rad Dan, will change them both next year

Creationblue said:

Hi Creation,

If I were you I would get the rads changed sooner to make sure your engine is protectively cooled.

When there's a leak in the cooling system, the pressure of the liquid drops and so does the boiling point of the coolant/antifreeze. Cooling systems are pressurised to raise the boiling point of the fluid to provide effective cooling. If the boiling point is lower, the coolant around the cylinder walls and heads will bubble boil at the hot surface, so will not effectively transfer heat to the flowing coolant in these areas which could be damaging.

With the boiling point being lower, you will not be aware of it on your temp gauge as it will show 'normal' temp.

Particularly for high performance engines, it is important the cooling system is kept in the best condition. I also suspect that the cold weather could 'find out' any imperfections in your rads.

Bluebird911 said:
Creationblue said:

Hi Creation,

If I were you I would get the rads changed sooner to make sure your engine is protectively cooled.

When there's a leak in the cooling system, the pressure of the liquid drops and so does the boiling point of the coolant/antifreeze. Cooling systems are pressurised to raise the boiling point of the fluid to provide effective cooling. If the boiling point is lower, the coolant around the cylinder walls and heads will bubble boil at the hot surface, so will not effectively transfer heat to the flowing coolant in these areas which could be damaging.

With the boiling point being lower, you will not be aware of it on your temp gauge as it will show 'normal' temp.

Particularly for high performance engines, it is important the cooling system is kept in the best condition. I also suspect that the cold weather could 'find out' any imperfections in your rads.

Thanks for the input, great advise. My only reasoning is that I wont really be using the car now until the spring but will get the job done :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back