Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Falken Azenis FK510 Tyres ?

It could also trigger your abs

It's caused by a difference in rolling radius and it's only a mm or so different between brands that cause the issue

but new tyres have about approx. 8mm tread and are worn out by 2mm depth so that's a 6mm possible difference even between the same brand tyre front to rear? I appreciate your point Winny but the margin must be a bit wider surely.

It could be a multiple amount of things other than rolling radius that the different tyres create an error. Remember crossplys and radials.

All I know is my car was fine on contis all round then I put falkens on the back and all the problems started so I ran without the traction control for a bit but the abs still cut in to early
Eventually I bit the bullet and bought new falkens on the front and the car works perfectly again

This is a common problem documented on the internet and it happens if your front tyres have significantly less tread on them than the rears. Essentially you need more tread on the front than the rear to avoid problems

I never had this problem when using the same brand front to rear on this car only when I mixed brands and it went away when I went back to all matching same brand

Falkens are great so are contis just they don't like to be mixed.

Winny

Thanks Winny for a bit more info, you've now got me thinking as I'm about to follow your Conti/Falken path. New Conti fronts were fitted 6,000m ago but they last ages on my C2 (probably a 4:1 ratio wear rate F/R) so they're not very worn yet and I wouldn't want to replace them especially as that would make changing to Falken on the rear a false economy.

Even if there was an issue with the ABS (no TC on mine) hopefully with a bit of rear wear within a few thousand miles any issue would correct itself.
Thinking back mine also had a an early ABS cut in issue with the old worn Conti's on the front and new Conti's on the rear when I got it but that went away when I replaced with new fronts.

I'm going to eek out the last few Conti miles in November then buy Falkens if the Conti's don't drop in price.

The Falkens are deffo tremendous value for money (depending on what you're paying). I use my local Kumho centre and order online with them. They are in next day and balance and fit are currently £162 each for 295/30 18. Everything else they do comes in around the £240 mark. I can't justify spending 50% more for something that isn't 50% better. :dont know:

N3 rated Michelin 285/30/18 are £178.57 inc VAT and fitting at Costco at the moment with another £40 off if you buy two.

cvega said:
how's the sidewall stiffness on those?

Falken tyres have a stiffish side wall. It gives them quite a precise Steering feel if fitted to the front axle of most vehicles.

Damn prices on tyre leader have jumped up from a low of £155 to £175 as soon as I wanted to buy them!

I have 4 fitted to my 1998 C2, decent handling. Not sure about wear as they've only done 1000 miles since I fitted them but quiet enough and not had any issues. Cost me £380 all in for 4

911munKy said:
Damn prices on tyre leader have jumped up from a low of £155 to £175 as soon as I wanted to buy them!

Try your local Kumho centre online. Price including fitting is only around £160 each.

Been reading about these Falkens as the Michelin's on my C2 are getting low and strangely a bit perished.

The tyres I need are Front 225/40ZR18 88Y N3 Rear 285/30ZR18 N3 Michelin Sport. I won't be tracking these tyres but just want something reliable and fairly grippy in all weathers.

So is it worth saving the money and possibly getting Falkens all round or just sticking with a front set of Michelins?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back