Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 4s or 997.2 turbo?

abe froman

Hello all. Long time lurker occasional poster.

I'm looking towards the spring when I should be in the position to jump into a new car. My current thoughts are either a 997.2 turbo or a 991.1 4s. These are now roughly the same price.

My thoughts are the 991 is more modern, looks great, fast enough and newer. The 997 is a turbo.

Anyone been in this position?

Thanks.

A lot depends on what you're coming from.

I've had a Gen1 997 Turbo for 4.5 years and would go for the 991 4S because I'd see the newer generation car as more for my £££s than a 997.2T.

But then again, if you haven't experienced turbo ownership it's a whole different box that really should be ticked.

You could have the best of both worlds by going for a 997T first, keeping it for a while and then taking advantage of the fact that the 991 will depreciate more in that period.

What really you looking for in a 991 C4s?

Spec, age, mileage, colour? Is it because it is more of a modern 'GT" car?

I love the look of the 997tt but could not live with the cabin, just feels too dated now for a £70k car.

gilford said:
I love the look of the 997tt but could not live with the cabin, just feels too dated now for a £70k car.

I agree but both cars that abe is considering are available for c£60k :wink:

The 991 is more modern but the 997 is starting to attain 'modern classic' status.

The other consideration is to what type of use the car is to be put. The Carrera is comfortably quick enough for day-to-day use and both are great as long distance cruisers but the turbo has more kudos and provides the bigger sense of occasion for weekend fun.

Thanks for the replies.

Coming from RS4, Lotus and will be an everyday car on a 10 mile cross country route to work. The route is often used by car magazines for their features. It's a great stretch and worth moving the office for!

Turbos seem to be holding their value well. Not sure what will happen to the 991 yet and the 991 turbo is beginning to look like a bargain. Albeit a bargain I can't yet afford.

I like the look of the 4s and have always had a soft spot for them. My concern as has been said is would a 10 year old turbo feel old now?

Really difficult one to answer, 997Turbo for holding its value but 991 .1 - 4s for all round fun & looks / modern style, plus they sound nicer, so would be 991 for me.

Wait 6 more months and get a 991 turbo :thumb:. So much for so little and if they arent in range by then they will probably start to go the other way :thumb:

gilford said:
What really you looking for in a 991 C4s?

Spec, age, mileage, colour? Is it because it is more of a modern 'GT" car?

I guess it's just me but I just do not get this 'cabin' thing at all. If I was buying any exciting performance car, I wouldn't give a monkeys about the cabin. My primary focus would be handling and performance.

OP, get the turbo! :thumbs: They go like 5h1t off a shovel, they're ace!

My favourite shape would be the 997, I've moved to the 991.1. I have always heard the 997 is the last of the true drivers car, and the turbo 997.2 will be always be a car which will be know as one of the best. Have you ever considered 991.1 GTS? My friend has got 2015 GTS and it's a cracking car, the sound from the exhaust is awesome which is standard. I think it's a great all around car, which delivers great performance.For me I always describe them as the greatest hits car due to have centre lock wheels etc.

I've noticed a 2015 Porsche GTS on here for sale in silver, it has the GTS interior pack which is a lovely extra and a must have to make it special.

Hope that helps

I can offer the following thoughts based on not driving both (yet) but having a 991.1 C4S myself and a good friend having a 997.2 turbo.

We've been out a number of times for drives together and he always comments that his feels like harder work to make progress to the point where I am pressing on but by no means going mad and he feels like he can't keep up in the corners without his feeling quite unstable. It's also worth noting here that he is running on MPS4S and i'm still on the stock P-zeros.
On the straights, initially, there's almost nothing in it pace wise. His pulled away but very gradually...

Well that was until recently anyway, he has bought one of the updated damper control boxes which he says has helped but not enough and is now looking at uprating the dampers fully to get better control.
But he also has had his tuned (I think mainly due to not being able to pull away from mine on the straights as he expected) :thumb: :mrgreen:

Now his is pulling really hard and a notable amount quicker than mine even if I get the jump out of a corner he can just pull away :eek:

But the other point of note he is always getting mine and remarking about how much more modern the interior is and how he thinks it's a much nicer place to be etc

So I guess if I were to sum up the waffle above I would say that as a daily the 991.1 is great as it is comfortable, fast and sounds amazing. But if you're after a more "exciting" drive for weekends then the turbo is probably the way forward IMHO.

I've stayed away from value's and depreciation etc as i'm not one to second guess such things :wink:

Ade

It's a good question.

My friend runs a stock 997.1 Turbo tip (with aero kit) and I've got a 997.2 C4S PDK with TPC Racing DSC controller, so perhaps this is a relevant comparison, albeit dated by a generation. The Turbo was quick, but the S made a better noise, and was better in the corners: my friend used to say that he had to make an effort to keep up. And I had to make an effort on the straights...

It seems to me that if you're thinking about a Turbo, then you're a turbo man and your life will be incomplete without one!

Tough decision. :?:

HEAD

Daily driver = newer car every time for me.

10 yr old car from dealer who won't give you any history because of GDPR :nooo:

Own the 991 for a couple of years and then the price of 991 Turbos should be in your ball park.

HEART

The Turbo is faster and has slightly more kudos and was in it's day the benchmark for all others.

Take a drive in the 2 cars to make the comparison for yourself.

SPECS

on the 991, they are more important for re-sale IMHO, so if you decide on this option be mindful of getting all the "important" bits

Thanks for all the comments. I'm pleased it's not just me that is finding this one a bit of a dilemma. Albeit not a bad one.

It is useful reading through the comments. And I'm still swaying back and forth depending on the time of day. Maybe this is the ideal time of year to try both. Wet out, bit slippy, etc.

Out of interest, what would you say are the must haves on the 991.1 4S?

Whats your budget?

If healthy I would recommend going for a late 991.1 with low miles.

Spec is subjective but I would be looking for -

DAB (on the later cars, a silly option but one I didn't want to be without)
Sport Chrono (or "50 Year Edition pack")
PSE
Cruise (for long motorway journeys with the Wife)
Bose (as above)
Pano roof (for a light and airy cabin)

If I was buying again I'd want Miami Blue, I played it safe and went for Agate as it looks great and is easier to sell but in hindsight Miami Blue is STUNNING, dont think it would sell well though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back