Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

4 wheel drive system fault

acer54

I used to get this fault if the car had been stood for a week or so, once the car had been used for a few miles if you switched the car off and back on again the fault disappeared.

I found as time went on it was happening more often and I decided to change the Battery, once the battery was changed I had no more issues during the warm Summer months.

Now that we are experiencing colder temperatures overnight every time I use the car I get the fault again and after a few short miles if I stop and start the car again it disappears until the next start the following day after been parked overnight.

Anybody got any experience of this themselves and if so what was the fix?

deMort said:
Do you have any kind of tester that might be able to check fault codes and then post ?

without any code then any answer is a stab in the dark i'm afraid .

I'm getting the codes read tomorrow, I will report back afterwards.

deMort said:
I'll be here tomorrow :D

Had codes read and it pointed to low voltage issues, as I said previously battery was replaced by Porsche last July.
Put the battery on charge for 3hrs, starting voltage 11.4 volts and when charge was complete it was 14.4 volts.
Started the engine and hey presto no 4 wheel drive system warning alarm which would confirm that it's voltage driven.
This only started a week ago during the cold nights, I don't use the car every day and when I do it's only for short journeys.
What's the way forward with this, should I buy a maintenance charger like a CTEK for example to use when the car is sat idle or is their another way?

These cars are very susceptible to low voltage problems, it will get worse as it gets colder, ours did all sorts of crazy things with a low voltage battery, doors wouldnt lock, diff light came on.................I now put it on a charger if it doesnt get a good run every week

That does sound like the answer and short journeys are the probable cause .

A ctek or you can get solar chargers if no power where you park it .. either one will do the job.

Looking through the history of my Cayenne and it had an identical issue earlier this year, 4wd fault that was caused by a low battery voltage so it's certainly not uncommon!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back