Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coil spring replacement

robro911

I'm about to change the coil springs on my 997.1 carrera 2 with pasm for some H&R springs but I'm struggling to find a 21mm open sided socket for the front top nuts. I believe its easier to loosen the nut with an impact wrench whilst still on the car or would it be best to persevere with "WURTH rost off"and a plug socket or just get the strut off the car and then deal with it, all suggestions are welcome

Im about to do the same (but with Eibach's) and I'm planning on undoing the strut nut with everything still on the car, using a cranked ring spanner and a screwdriver..... 21mm front, 19mm on the back on a Gen 1 I believe

Hertsdriver said:
Im about to do the same (but with Eibach's) and I'm planning on undoing the strut nut with everything still on the car, using a cranked ring spanner and a screwdriver..... 21mm front, 19mm on the back on a Gen 1 I believe

Best of luck with the ring spanner, but I was using a 60cm bar on the socket and of course a scewdriver and it wouldn't budge so I've removed the complete strut on one side and I'll go back to it tomorrow after leaving it to soak overnight in "rost off" Let me know how you get on.

you do need a socket with an open side like a lambda sensor socket .. i believe the set we have are laserline .. it's just a box of open sided sockets in the cupboard to me .. sorry .

the top " disc " has 2 cut outs on it .. with the shock removed there is an official tool that holds this disc so that you can undo the nut ... a wrench will just about do but you need something to hold it .

Basically if you use a socket to undo the nut and give it a good go it will spin the shaft .. if this happens it will snap the wire inside .

Small blasts with an impact gun if doing it this way to loosen it .

i would suggest remove the shock .. clean the top shock threads as best as you can then see what you have to hold the disc under the nut .. you will see the two holes in it for the tool .. clamp it then try to undo the 21 mm nut ....

Just go slowly .

btw .. if the top mount strut has seized in place then you are probably into a new shock as they are a bitch to cut off .

if the pasm shock breaks during this .. you won't know until it's all refitted and you drive at over 6 mph .. a warning then means the shock needs to be replaced .

You do need the open sided sockets and if you get some cheap 21mm and 19m deep sockets off Ebay you can cut a hole in the side of them with a grinder and this works well rather than buying an open sided set or cant find one. To lock the top plate when undo them you can use the handle off the grinder with the two pins that you change your discs with, it wont be the exact size but one pin sits in 1 notch of the plate the other pin will lock it in place if you push it against the side of the plate allowing you use the impacter to undo the nut. When you do do it make sure that you watch the nut undo as soon as it starts moving you will need to make sure the cable doesn't damage if the socket spins to fast. Best to move over to a ratchet once the nut is free so you have more control.

Thefinn said:
You do need the open sided sockets and if you get some cheap 21mm and 19m deep sockets off Ebay you can cut a hole in the side of them with a grinder and this works well rather than buying an open sided set or cant find one. To lock the top plate when undo them you can use the handle off the grinder with the two pins that you change your discs with, it wont be the exact size but one pin sits in 1 notch of the plate the other pin will lock it in place if you push it against the side of the plate allowing you use the impacter to undo the nut. When you do do it make sure that you watch the nut undo as soon as it starts moving you will need to make sure the cable doesn't damage if the socket spins to fast. Best to move over to a ratchet once the nut is free so you have more control.

Very good advice.

Take note sir.

So after a great deal of struggling trying to get the top nuts off with the struts still on the car with no success, I decided to bite the bullet and remove the struts and then see what I could do.
After removing the struts and clamping the top plate with the two indents in a vice, the nuts came off easily with no damage to me or the struts !
I would recommend this method every time as it was so much easier and a lot less chance of damage to the car. Maybe an open socket could have worked but it would have needed a much more powerful impact wrench than the one I own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back