Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight Levelling System

Michael Taverner

Good Morning,

I have a headlight level adjusting wheel on the dashboard with three positions, normal and up or down. Now when I turn this wheel I can hear something working, but the beam level does not rise or fall as mit should. I presume the motor or solenoid lies within the headlight pod.
Anyone had this problem and found a solution. Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael

Do you have aftermarket HIDs/Xenons fitted?

If so, the extra gubbins can stop the adjustment mechanism from moving - there's not a huge amount of space in the back of the headlamps.

Maybe pop out one of the headlights, temporarily remove the clip-on rear cover, and see if that helps...

Chris 993 C2

Many thanks for your reply. I have popped both headlights and checked that there is no obstruction. The only difference so far is that the noise I mentioned when using the controller is now a little louder, but no detectable movement of the beam. I have also tested on high beam and dipped beam, no difference
I have tested with first one side in and then the other. That made now difference so I might have to conclude that fault does not lie in the headlight unit but elsewhere, but I have no idea where.

More help needed.

Michael

Hi,

If it's making motor noises the fault lies in the headlight. If the power is reaching headlight motor the rst of the system has done its job.

I would guess that the balljoint in the headlight has become disconnected. This could be as a result of HIDs being fitted.

I would start with one headlight by popping the other one out so it's noises are not confusing. Take the outer glass lens off the other one (just clipped in place) and ensure that the headlight adjusting motor ball joint is connected to the reflector and is free to move. You may be able to plug the headllight back into its bowl to check. Easier to get someone to rotate the dial while you check for movement.

The fact that the motor is making a noise is positive.
Hope that helps.

Reading this thread has made me realise I have headlight leveling, can't say it had registered with me that I had the dial :lol: I have never used it, must check it works now! Was it a option, as it doesn't show as a option on my option list sticker, maybe it was standard equipment on German market cars.

it s standard on all 993s in Europe. The USA cars have their own (dodgy) system.

It is an unusual system in that unlike most other cars that are only effected by weight at the back or the front a 911 can be impacted at both ends. Passengers in the back will make the rear squat meaning the headlights will need to be dipped to prevent blinding approaching drivers whilist weight in the boot can make the front squat meaning the lights need to be raised to compensate.

This is why the adjustment wheel goes up and down from the standard setting.

guards red said:
it s standard on all 993s in Europe. The USA cars have their own (dodgy) system.

It is an unusual system in that unlike most other cars that are only effected by weight at the back or the front a 911 can be impacted at both ends. Passengers in the back will make the rear squat meaning the headlights will need to be dipped to prevent blinding approaching drivers whilist weight in the boot can make the front squat meaning the lights need to be raised to compensate.

This is why the adjustment wheel goes up and down from the standard setting.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Hi Guards Red,

Thank you for your reply much appreciated. I have done as you suggest, taking the glass off, everything seems to be intact within the headlight.

It all looks a little delicate in there and I am fearful of causing more damage by prodding about.

The car is away at the moment having its MOT, which prompted this investigation when I found the levelling system was not working. as it should.
When I get the car back I will do some more investigation to see if I can resolve the problem.

Incidentally I have a full Porsche Workshop Manual which did not give any info about the levelling system. No picture showing the components within the headlight unit. I expect Porsche would offer me a new unit.

I will revert with any outcome in due course.
Michael

Hi Guards Red,

Thank you for your reply much appreciated. I have done as you suggest, taking the glass off, everything seems to be intact within the headlight.

It all looks a little delicate in there and I am fearful of causing more damage by prodding about.

The car is away at the moment having its MOT, which prompted this investigation when I found the levelling system was not working. as it should.
When I get the car back I will do some more investigation to see if I can resolve the problem.

Incidentally I have a full Porsche Workshop Manual which did not give any info about the levelling system. No picture showing the components within the headlight unit. I expect Porsche would offer me a new unit.

I will revert with any outcome in due course.
Michael

In spite of my concern that with the headlight levelling system not working correctly, the car sailed through the MOT with no advisories. I now have more time to investigate the problem in a relaxed manner and hopefully find a solution.
Michael

The headlamp alignment system relies on plastic threaded studs being rotated by the adjusters which are accessible from inside the boot area.

In my car, these had stripped their threads and were ineffective. I would have to pull a headlamp unit apart to be sure, but I suspect that once the thread has stripped, the electric height adjustment ceases to have any effect because although the operating arm moves the stud, the stud doesn't move the headlight's interior assembly.

I fixed mine by cutting off the worn stud, drilling out the centre of the remains of the original component, inserting an M3 metal stud into it and then screwing a new nylon stud onto the metal stud to replace the stripped section of the original.

9xxnick

Many thanks for your reply. Now that I have the car back I will check further. Am I right in thinking that the adjusting mechanism is within the headlight pod and not outside in the wing. This presumably means dismantling the headlight pod to get at the mechanism. Please clarify
Michael

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back