Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rebuild ...Which IMS Bearing to get??

Dimensions on the original bearing are 20 47 14 (doable with some slight mods). Would be good to see the load rating of the one above.

I'd give you them if I had the data for other IMS bearings to hand :grin:

I wouldn't put anything weaker than the original in but if it's a higher load rating then that'd be fine.

To find out more about the whole IMS situation you can request our technical report on the 4 main faults with this engine range from [email protected] (as it is one of them).

It is however a detailed and lengthy read - be warned.

Briefly the original bearing was marginally too small and the shield that restricted oil flow and "running in debris outwash" caused some to fail early. Once the shield had worn a bit some debris could escape and some fresh oil enter and they then could last a very long time.

The loads from chain flap are both radial and longitudinal (and roller bearings do not have good longitudinal capabilities) while we have seen failures of all the other options of, ceramic bearings and other ball bearings (which usually last as long or longer than the original but are still vulnerable). A pressurised oil fed plain bearing would also be a good solution but expensive.

The larger ball bearing that replaced it has proven a great solution and we do make a new end gear/sprocket that incorporates this bearing and fit it to the old shafts for both roller chain earlier cranks and later Hivo cranks. It is however an expensive part to manufacture and fit (in relatively small quantities) and there is insufficient margin in it to then retail it (when it would be too expensive).

However we do make it available to our customers for engine repairs when it is incorporated as part of a larger job.

Baz

I'm still trying to find a suitable solution to replace my dual IMS bearing ..
for info it's widely available .. attached to an intermediate shaft, with an eye watering price tag (€1250 at my local OPC, even more expensive elsewhere, cheapest seems to be rose passion).
The part number if interested is 99610590100
I've been told by the OPC this is an upgraded part from '07. Tho they couldn't give detail on the 'upgrade'.

Still looking if anyone has further info!

Yes. Its the later larger bearing they used in the last M97 engine. Its the same IMS that comes with the short blocks you can now buy for the 3.4............so I read on here somewhere.

It'll be the modidied single row larger one Porsche do I reckon.

According to Burners cars (link below) the original dual row IMSB was 23.8mm wide, I reckon the Rose passion one is the same/similar to the one I linked on Page 1 which is also dual row and 20mm wide, only £27 though!

[/url]http://burnerscars.blogspot.com/2016/08/sourcing-your-own-porsche-ims-bearing.html

Thanks! The trouble is ... I don't want to get this wrong!!
I'd trust rose passion's item is top notch. Even if there is humongous tax included. (Certainly better than buying the shaft and bearing for €1250!)

800 euros for the full assembly is pretty cheap if you ask me.

Hartech's price:

New Latest Design Porsche Intermediate Shaft: From £800 + VAT

https://www.hartech.org/rebuild-prices

Second hand assembly pulls nigh on £400:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...ith-bearing-99-01-996-105-015-62/174027641154

You've got 6 sprockets, the shaft, bearing and end plate with seal and bolts and spigot. There's a fair amount of engineering in that assembly, most of it hardened steel to micron accuracy.

Where's the "humongous tax included"?

It's a bargain!!!!

Alex said:
You've got 6 sprockets, the shaft, bearing and end plate with seal and bolts and spigot. There's a fair amount of engineering in that assembly, most of it hardened steel to micron accuracy.

Where's the "humongous tax included"?

It's a bargain!!!!

Sorry I wasn't very clear.. I was referring to the bearing, at €200.

Yeah, that's a con. :thumbs:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back