Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Litronics question...

Robertb

Yas Marina
My memory has failed me- can anyone remind me if the litronic headlights should come on in ignition position 1 ie warning lights check on etc (but engine not started)?

Mine do not, but then will come on when the engine is running.

On a couple of occasions, they won't switch on just after the engine is started... could this be the ECU waiting for voltage to stabilise, or some other fault developing... light switch?

If you turn the ignition on then turn on the headlights they should work .. they don't just come on with the ignition on so am i missing something here ?

car running or ign on and you turn on the headlights and they don't work would indicate a light switch fault ... turn lights on and off several times to see if they suddenly come on which would lean towards a light switch fault .

Not sure if i understand your fault correctly atm .. so as i say at work .. more info req please :D

Thanks for posting Demort...

What I mean is, if I don't start the car, but turn the ignition on, and the lights on, the litronics don't fire up... I can't remember whether they would normally work without the engine running.

A couple of times recently, after starting, when I turn the switch the Litronics don't come on until a few moments have passed and I turn the switch off and on again.

Clear as mud...?

That doesn't sound correct to me .. ignition on or engine running makes no difference to this system .

basically there is no battery management and no system that would stop them from working without the engine running so im thinking voltages .. that's the only difference .. 12 ign on - 13.5 / 14 volts engine running .. an electrical contact somewhere .

A few seconds till they fire up is normal though .. high voltage system and i guess it builds a charge :dont know:

For now .. they work with the car running .. im guessing at a light switch but i think you should just carry on as normal and see how it goes .. nothing is broken as such atm so if it ain't broke ..

Still something going on. Lights will only work initially with the engine running. But after I've run the car for a bit they will come on when switched on with just the ignition on.

Voltage looks ok on the gauge.

Could it be the battery in the way out? The car is left on a trickle/conditioner. :?:

I think it might be your light switch giving out - not uncommon. When mine started failing, it would put the headlights out every time you tried to put it on full beam. That got my attention on a dark night I don't mind telling you...

I had a similar problem when the aftermarket HIDS4U ballast stopped working. Not sure if you have the 55w or 35w version, but if you open the lights as oif to replace the buld you should be able to get the part number for the ballast from the back.

A genuine OEM version is on the bay here https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/671502168 but lower-priced ones are available with a bit of searching..!

EG-C4 said:
I think it might be your light switch giving out - not uncommon. When mine started failing, it would put the headlights out every time you tried to put it on full beam. That got my attention on a dark night I don't mind telling you...

:eek: blimey!

I've ordered a new switch, hopefully that's it.

Seems odd though that it works ok when it's been run.

I did wonder about a ballast... we'll see.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back