Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

P0171 & P0174 Scan Codes

Here's the second one....I'm not sure if you can get any more information out of this basic scanner

I checked all the obvious connections took the main ones off the air box and made sure everything was fitting perfectly and tightened all the jubilee clips .

The car does seem to be running better today so is it possible I may have fixed it...the check engine light is still on though.

Attachments

• 270470be_d8b8_4dad_941b_ca9200513ceb_176.jpeg
    270470be_d8b8_4dad_941b_ca9200513ceb_176.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 3,619
  • 5f530c46_5bfb_40b8_8f88_d1a84f4a1fe0_124.jpeg
    5f530c46_5bfb_40b8_8f88_d1a84f4a1fe0_124.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 3,618
I'm not sure if that scanner can delete fault codes , if you can delete them then it will take a few days until they resurface if the problem is still there though .

I very much doubt it can see actual values as well .

As mentioned .. a quick check at an Indy might help point you in the right direction .

Any air leak after the maf will have a large effect on the running of the car .. un metered air basically and the car can't add fuel if it cant see the correct amount of air going into the engine .

Thanks as always I will have a read of the scanner manual and see if it's possible to delete code.

If not it's another trip to Porticraft on Thursday if I get some free time from work.

So today I cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor with the special cleaning spray and made sure all the joints and jubilee clips were sitting correctly and nice and tight.

Then used the Scanner to delete the codes and took it for a nice long blast so far no sign of the Yellow Check Engine light....so will give it a few more trips and then see if the codes return or if I have managed to fix it.

The car did feel much more responsive today even at low revs and there was no hesitation and draggy feeling like when I drove it on Sunday.

If after 5 consecutive cold to hot runs and you have no return of the fault codes then the maf was at fault ... i would also check after a couple of weeks just to be safe .

So got through four cold / hot runs.....plenty of revs etc. Absolutely no problems car running well.

Then today started for the fifth time and I was just thinking of DeMort's Five and its clear statement when the Check Engine light came on :eek:

So checked the scanner and its the same P0171 and PO174 readings again and the car seems more hesitant and doesn't like picking up from lower revs.

What do you suggest for the next course of action? Is it time to book it into my local indie or is there anything else a basic beginner like me can try before shelling out the cash?

To be honest .. it's time for us garages to take over i feel .. i don't have an answer as i would need to look at the car and values etc to come to a conclusion .

Throwing parts at a car is something i always try to dissuade people from so a garage is the best thing i feel .

Its an emission fault that takes several warm up cycles for the car to realise it has a fault basically .

Fault code entered and the car will go to default modes for that fault .. it wont run as well .

Thanks that's exactly what I needed to hear.....yesterday it stuck in 3rd on the North Circular which was weird I pulled over and turned it on & off and it started changing gears again.

Looked it up and it said it was limp home mode so the car is not happy and it's certainly beyond my skills to work out what's wrong with it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back