Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rebuild ...Which IMS Bearing to get??

ballcock

Paul Ricard
Sorry, I HATE using those three letters on Porsche forums!
.. and yes I've done a search and haven't found an answer.

I'm looking for the best solution when replacing my early 3.4 IMS bearing. Unfortunately the Hartech late 997 bearing is not available.

The other option seems to be the below.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/986M/POR_986M_UPG996_pg2.htm

Are there any other options available these days?

Thanks!

Can Hartech not offer any other solutions. I know they do various options when it comes to the bearing.

If the original is fine I'd pop the seals off and put that back in.

I'd also contact Porsche and see if the offer a full assembly solution.

Personally if the engine was apart I would want to change the bearing as you do, I don't like the look of the single row bearing into the double housing from Pelican though.

Wasn't there someone saying they can get the dual row bearing recently?

What is Hartech's situation with regard to the dual row bearing replacement?

Someone was saying they were sourcing an alternative to the dual row and wanted to know the dimensions. Think they were on about fitting a ceramic one.

Hartech did have modified sprockets that fit the 3.4 but house a different size bearing. Possible they don't have them in stock anymore.

Personally I'd be seeing if I could do something similar to Hartech and get my original shaft/sprocket modified to accommodate something bigger / stronger.

That's the set up I was thinking of, I think you also need the later crankshaft then upgrade to the hyvo chain with matching IMS too but a crankshaft is a rare thing.

EDIT, unless they can modify a hyvo IMS to twin chain IMS, IIRC they are only interference fit on the end of the IMS?

I know Hartech used to get sprockets made that were the 3.4 style but with a different counter bore to suit a different IMS bearing. I can only guess they're out of stock or have stopped offering this solution. :dont know:

Here you go, page 70 onwards:

https://www.hartech.org/images/downloads/Hartech%20Engine%20Guide%20(interim).pdf

The Hartech one isnt available right now and yes they modify to suit the 3.4 engine. It's a great pity as this would be the very best option I feel.

There are some available on Design 911 as well but I'm struggling with my limited tech knowledge to understand why they are so much more expensive.

Because design911 are a rip off. They're usually dearer than OPC.

I'd deffo be going down the route of the Hartech style even if it meant making one myself (but I'm lucky that I'm able to do that).

The rose passion one will most likely be whatever Porsche supply to fit a 3.4 engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back