Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 with Touring pack

Poker2009 said:
I have booked a Porsche experience day, 90 mins in my current car (just fitted Ohlins so want to compare) and 90 mins in a GT3.

I have read all the power is above 5k revs, which won't be much good to me, as I won't track the car, however I want to see for myself if it's worth even considering a car like this for my own needs. If not, I can save myself a lot of money, and stick with what I have.

That's certainly not the case with the 991.2....it has plenty of torque and really picks up nicely from low revs....I believe it is a considerable improvement on the 991.1 in this respect so maybe it's that you are thinking of.

The car also gets what I would describe as a second wind at about 6k revs.... as it pushes to the red line. It's just a bloody brilliant engine. If you're anywhere Buckinghamshire/M25 I'll take you out in mine. Although mine isn't a Touring nor is it very subtle being Lava Orange.

I had the chance to spec Touring but decided to go the whole hog.

I think the advice someone posted about 992 GT3 coming out isn't a bad one. I reckon a lot of people will spec it because of prices on 991.2 and also because the lardy arse on 992 combined with what looks like a massive spoiler on test cars is not a good look IMHO.

Cheib said:
Poker2009 said:
I have booked a Porsche experience day, 90 mins in my current car (just fitted Ohlins so want to compare) and 90 mins in a GT3.

I have read all the power is above 5k revs, which won't be much good to me, as I won't track the car, however I want to see for myself if it's worth even considering a car like this for my own needs. If not, I can save myself a lot of money, and stick with what I have.

That's certainly not the case with the 991.2....it has plenty of torque and really picks up nicely from low revs....I believe it is a considerable improvement on the 991.1 in this respect so maybe it's that you are thinking of.

The car also gets what I would describe as a second wind at about 6k revs.... as it pushes to the red line. It's just a bloody brilliant engine. If you're anywhere Buckinghamshire/M25 I'll take you out in mine. Although mine isn't a Touring nor is it very subtle being Lava Orange.

I had the chance to spec Touring but decided to go the whole hog.

I think the advice someone posted about 992 GT3 coming out isn't a bad one. I reckon a lot of people will spec it because of prices on 991.2 and also because the lardy arse on 992 combined with what looks like a massive spoiler on test cars is not a good look IMHO.

Thanks for the offer.

On my experience day, what I found is I didn't really get out of second gear, sometimes third.

I also got stuck with an instructor I didn't really get on with - it was raining, and he kept telling me how unsafe the car is in the rain, not really meant for road use, and all about his volvo and audi which had the same clutch and done 200k miles! He did my head in for 3 hours, and has put me off doing anything like that again.

I complained after and got half my money back, but am not really much wiser as to whether it is a car I could live with daily.

I drive my 997 at higher revs, and not sure in the GT3 if i did that, I would ever get out of second gear.

I drive my 997 at higher revs, and not sure in the GT3 if i did that, I would ever get out of second gear.[/quote]

Probably not......but there are few better places to be than sat in front of that 4.0 once it's up into the higher rev's!

I did the PEC at Silverstone in my own car and found the track really frustrating after 5 mins, on some of the smaller tracks in the UK you can literally do a whole lap in 3rd gear at a decent pace, the engine is that good.

I drive my 997 at higher revs, and not sure in the GT3 if i did that, I would ever get out of second gear.

Probably not......but there are few better places to be than sat in front of that 4.0 once it's up into the higher rev's!

I did the PEC at Silverstone in my own car and found the track really frustrating after 5 mins, on some of the smaller tracks in the UK you can literally do a whole lap in 3rd gear at a decent pace, the engine is that good.

I think that was part of the problem I had also.

It is a lovely engine and car, just need to work out if it is for me or not. I've made a mistake on a high value car recently (which I am still trying to sell), and don't want that to happen again.

It is always nice to have that power from the GT3. My 997 is probably enough for the roads and I get to use a few gears. However I am kind of fed up of the old tech and interior. Still, it has a six-speed manual gearbox, and with the Ohlins I fitted recently, is handling really well.

T8 said:
I saw this beautiful Carmine Red car at OPC Tonbridge yesterday. Only 2k miles.

But ............. £199k :eek:

https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/911-GT3-115145

So you take the touring, try to make it like a normal GT3 clubsport with buckets etc, and charge an extra 60 grand :dont know: :?: Im clearly still missing something :eek:

spongebob squarepants said:
T8 said:

So you take the touring, try to make it like a normal GT3 clubsport with buckets etc, and charge an extra 60 grand :dont know: :?: Im clearly still missing something :eek:

You don't see many in yellow. I wonder why? :p

991.2GTS said:
spongebob squarepants said:
T8 said:

You don't see many in yellow. I wonder why? :p

Would need the rear spoiler in yellow :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back