Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brakes - pads and disks for a C2

911Tip

What is current thinking on pads and disks for a C2 996 3.4 Tiptronic S?

E.G., Brembo, Textar, Porsche OE from OPC...

It needs all four corners... sigh

Also need to do the fluid. It had SRF in there before.

Thanks!

I have used Sebro discs and Textar pads from car parts 4 less. I didnt renew the antisqueal shims but would recommend doing it. Mine were showing signs of their age.

Thanks!

Are Sebro and Textar or Mintex good for
- cold bite
- fast road use
?

Are the Sebro disks coated? I hate when they rust up..

Wow the Porsche items are expensive! The previous owner had Porsche OE pads and disks installed. However, some of the wear sensors are cable tied away which is strange.

The Sebro discs have a Matt grey finish on the hats and internal vents. I am not sure they are are totally resistant to corrosion. The Texted pads have good cold bite. I find them totally fine for my use but I wouldn't claim to be testing the brakes that hard and have never tracked the car.
Perhaps someone else can offer an opinion on fast road use.

911Tip said:
Wow the Porsche items are expensive! The previous owner had Porsche OE pads and disks installed. However, some of the wear sensors are cable tied away which is strange.

Previous owner may have tracked the car, those sensors (IIRC) can trigger if the brakes get hot enough, or melt (if they get hotter).

My discs seems to be holding up well regards rust on the bells.

Ive deleted my wear indicators apart from one front, I regularly check my pads but just in case I figured the front is most likely to wear more.

Thanks!

Yes, it was tracked so that would explain the sensors.

From what I've been reading online, the aftermarket Textar pads are a different compound to the pads Textar supply to Porsche, and more prone to squeal. Is there any truth in this do you know?

I have not experienced any squeal from the Textar pads. Before I changed all the discs and pads I was not happy with the feel of the brake pedal. After the change I am entirely happy with the brakes. Good bite from cold and the pedal can be modulated to achieve the desired braking. The only issues is the pads do produce quite a lot of dust.

SDJC said:
I have not experienced any squeal from the Textar pads. Before I changed all the discs and pads I was not happy with the feel of the brake pedal. After the change I am entirely happy with the brakes. Good bite from cold and the pedal can be modulated to achieve the desired braking. The only issues is the pads do produce quite a lot of dust.

Thanks - sounds promising. They are significantly cheaper from CP4L than OPC.

Leaning towards the Sebro disks and either Textar pads and OEM anti-squeal pads or the Porsche pads and Porsche anti-squeal..

On the fluid: not sure if I'll put back in SRF. It was left in there too long as the high boiling point meant that it passed test by last garage when it shoudl really have been changed out based on age. Might go to Motul RBF 660 and get the system flushed.

Textar pads and slotted Sebro discs on mine (fitted by PO) - excellent bite, no rust on bells and completely quiet. Car used for commuting.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back