Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 957 Cayenne GTS Progress thread

I also have been trying to get rid of the moisture build up, I have also silicone'd the rim but it keeps coming back, but only on the passenger side?

Ahh I've tried everything now..

Resealed lights, blocked filters, removed filters, nothing.. Still fog up, the only thing I can think to do next is a 964 inspired vent kit.. Fairly easy to do, might work, might not but it's a last shot.

Great thread :thumb:

In regards to the headlights, keep a close eye on them. - If the moisture build up continues it will lead to drops of water forming that fall to the bottom of the light.

Due to a poor design the lowest point in said light is the Xenon ballast, which will fill with water and fail, these are expensive, have to be bought in pairs and require coding.

In my case the mositure was due to water getting in, as oppose to condensation. - This is a very common fault and seems to predominantly effect the left headlight.

I initially tried silicone, but its not up to the job, it cracks and moves about and although good for a short time inevitably fails and your back to the beginning.

In the end I sealed the headlight with IPOL Tiger Seal and removed the filter mesh so as hot air from the engine could get in, so far so good.

Cayenne thread.

Just read most of the thread from start to finish and wanted to say what a fantastic write up! Very detailed and I feel many people will learn a lot from it.
You certainly don't mind getting your hands dirty!

Well done on taking on the jobs and well done on the thread.

One point of advice I'd like to offer, if you happen to be under the car again near that power steering / oil pipe with the leaking banjo! Undo it, and replace the seals either side of the bolt, there probably copper but I prefer bonded washers ( metal washer with a nitrile rubber self centralising web) !

Measure the O/D of the banjo bolt and pop into your local Pirtek centre, they'll be about 50p each if there not tell them the ex- licensee of PIRTEK Thurrock told you to tell them to let them have them for free? Lol!

Anyway, well done again. Really good write up?

Lee

Cheers Lee!!

Love getting my hands dirty, sadly with the baby, it's not happening as often as I like.

Great shout on the washers! I wish you still worked there, I have spent a fortune with the local Pirtek on custom lines for various cars!

Minor update;

Wanting to finish the dirty jobs, transfer box fluid, diffs and gearbox.

Transfer box fluid done, old fluid was old fluid, dark brown/black. 5 minute job thanks to the air suspension, fully raised the car, undone the fill plug, placed oil can underneath and undo the drain.

Let it drain for a few mins, refit the drain plug and fill with new fluid until it starts to overflow.

Plugs WD40'd
49103831526_3eb49e9b16_c.jpg

49103322833_aa9b11340a_c.jpg

The fluid I used, meets ESSO 71141 specs.

49103831481_cb44095254_c.jpg

Not a job I expected to notice any improvements, and I didn't but good to know fresh fluid is in there. ATF fluid has turned up, filter and gasket coming from Porsche. New stainless m6x25mm bolts for the sump on way. Need to get hold of a infra red temp gun or durametric!
Diffs, if I get a chance to get some 75/90 syth fluid this weekend, I'll get those done as there is no science to doing those.

Another job which is part progress, front and rear cameras. Front camera is in, what a pain to route wires for this.. I'll cover this later but while doing this, I pulled out the aftermarket phone kit which was fitted and re positioned the sprint booster button.

Phone kit junk stuffed in by the fuse box! Now gone. Clutter stuck to the dash trim, bugs me every time I get in.

49103831456_bc4520deae_c.jpg

Sprint booster and handsfree display gone. (Sprint booster button hidden)
49121159912_f16c486422_c.jpg

GPS aerial nicely mounted in the centre dash vent, had to file a little notch so that the wire doesn't get pinched. Going to try out the DAB aerial being mounted in here when that turns up.
49103322658_a4fee24030_c.jpg

More to follow..

Just to point out .. i'm still watching this with interest young man !

You are also in the wrong job :p

Whistles whilst walking off and out of scene ..... it's a Mechanics life for me ...........

HAHA, I would love to being playing with cars full time, it's definitely when I'm at my happiest. (Second to being with wife and son..... obviously) :bandit: Perhaps not if I had to change a PDCC valve body

:hand: :floor:

Happy 97000th mile, officially the highest mileage car I have ever owned.
49119031967_0e3810e36a_c.jpg

There was a moment of dry weather Sunday, so I gave the Cayenne a good wash, the last time it had a clean was back at the start of September!!!! I have never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever left a car so long without being washed!! Never again, it was hard work. build up from country roads and wet motorways had layered the crap onto the paintwork, I wish I had a picture from before. I always forget how long it takes to wash this thing, the wheels alone test my patience.

Anyway, it had a proper wash all over, snow foam, rinse, APC and brush around the trims, Korrosol to lower half and on the wheels, Bilt Hamber Atom-mac to the underside, inner arches and through the front grill. Washed down and then finished with Megs Hybrid Ceramic, a great time saver!

Looks a different beast after a clean. Still awaiting the trim parts back from paintshop and it really could do with the wheels being refurbed but my wife and I are still not over range finding kerbs with them :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

49118339558_374de2273d_c.jpg

49118846991_0b3ccceae0_c.jpg

49118341133_43f92f2089_c.jpg

CarPlay shot, this has totally changed being in here now!
49119031852_cbd8d9940e_c.jpg

Nice job! Car Play does make a big difference and Apple, Google Maps and Waze are so much of an improvement over the usually out of date Porsche Navigation. I updated my 958 to Car Play using a kit that was available for PCM 3.1.

I finally did the job I really didn't want to!

Gearbox fluid change, I nearly nearly nearly booked this job in, I just don't like messing with auto boxes, they are an unknown to me and I wasn't sure I wanted the hassle, however, as I had the bits and a few hours, I thought let's do it, the youtube tutorials showed how straight forward it was and gave me the confidence to have a go.

I warmed up by changing the differential fluids, these are dead easy, fill until over spill jobs. I opted for Castrol 75/90 GL4. I used similar stuff in my Boxster with fantastic results, not the cheapest but I trust the brand and had good results.

49215361283_9c823087c7_z.jpg

Always undo the fill plugs before draining the fluid!

49215841596_5ca4f4b3ff_z.jpg

49215838086_643c1ef3e4_z.jpg

Dirty!
49216071382_7943e67c5a_z.jpg

Front diff, fluid appeared clean compared to the rear.

Everything nice and dry under here!

49216066007_5fd589318d_z.jpg

49216066932_0ba3263fda_z.jpg

Then on to the dreaded gearbox, the fluid came out a decent shade of red, I did think to myself, I should have left it but I'm not sure if ATF turns a horrible shade of black..Too late to stop now.

49215367743_f94c3b32e9_z.jpg

Pan down, 2 sheared bolts (FFS!)
49215847261_a971c36b26_z.jpg

Swarf build up, when I saw this I was glad to be changing the filter and fluid.

49215847821_8d76d9346d_z.jpg

Filter with crap showing in the mesh
49216083282_34259d6343_z.jpg

New filter mesh
49215855461_e8d8719865_z.jpg

Scary
49215852456_404e7e4d1c_z.jpg

I used a combination of a handheld thermometer and an app (EZDiag) to read the gearbox temp. Essentially this is filled up with 3.5-4 litres until it begins to drip out, you run the car and have someone go through the gears, holding for 5 seconds, keep filling until spill and when the fluid is spilling out at 40 degrees, that's it, button her up and call it a day.

49216091672_27cf4b6574_z.jpg

I went out for a test drive, got back, checked for any leaks and then refitted the under trays.

Results, positive! Smoother drive, the gearshifts can't be felt! I did not expect to notice any improvements as I didn't feel anything to be wrong, but now I have done this, the difference was noticed immediately. Before, I could sometimes feel the car engaging gear when coasting and then applying light throttle, now, I can't feel that. Gear changes are seamless, I can't feel them. Before I could but thought it was normal.

Easy job all in, 2 snapped bolts are annoying, I am yet to drill those out as I didn't have the easyouts but they're on the way. I wrapped some masking tape around the sides of the sump to help me spot any leaks and as of this morning, nothing. But I will be getting those out. I replaced all bolts with stainless items, m6x25 flanged head. New gasket was also fitted.

I will not be scared of changing the fluid in an auto box again :grin:

Fun stuff, newly painted bits coming tonight

49215815992_15efd0e8b4_z.jpg

49215100893_6705d67441_z.jpg

49215100853_bb1d123030_z.jpg

Nicely done mate! I had my transmission fluid change done last week, I was quite happy to let Precision do it to save my poor back :nooo:

I did check my Autel tool yesterday and it does read ATF temperature so that issue would've been covered!!

I will do the diffs and transfer fluid over the weekend weather permitting :thumb:

I have removed my airbag today to do the paddle conversion, won't be as simple as when the tip buttons are part of the wheel. I will have to find out which wires in the loom relate to the buttons or solder direct to the button switches :?:

It wasn't too bad at all, I was going to book it in to Precision just to meet Demort but I do love to torture myself, thankfully it wasn't bad although I did have neck ache the next day. I'm about to do a differential gearbox and clutch change on my mx5, now that's torture!

Did you notice any difference in shifting?

PADDLE CONVERSION! I had no idea about that being a thing on these but I have just googled it and it is!! May have to put that on the to do list now! :thumb:

MarkGolf said:
It wasn't too bad at all, I was going to book it in to Precision just to meet Demort but I do love to torture myself, thankfully it wasn't bad although I did have neck ache the next day. I'm about to do a differential gearbox and clutch change on my mx5, now that's torture!

Did you notice any difference in shifting?

PADDLE CONVERSION! I had no idea about that being a thing on these but I have just googled it and it is!! May have to put that on the to do list now! :thumb:

Totally understand the need to torture yourself!!

Not really sure whether the shifting is any different, it was really smooth before so the fluid change was more out of choice than necessity. But the main thing is that it's done!

Paddle conversion.....lots on the net about it being done on everything other than Cayennes :nooo: Have only found one example. It will be a little more tricky but I will get it done. Might not be till the new year now so will put the airbag back so I can at least use the car for now...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back