Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

stock double row ims bearing specs

Marky911 said:
rogelio_serrano said:
I am installing a full blown engine debris sensor. It detects ferrous and non ferrous particles In oil oil lubricity and water and coolant in oil in real-time.

Rogelio seen earlier -

Only joking Rogelio. Welcome to the forum. :thumb:

:lol:

Marky911

Yep :D

LOL @ newbie fear of IMS bearing collapse.

You bought the right car, an early 3.4 with dual row bearing and ferrous coated pistons is the toughest 911 fitted M96 engine (so long as you didn't buy a changeover car).

Biggest risk now at 136k is probably worn out main bearings.

Either a) Do nothing drive it and enjoy, many go to mega miles without a care.

or b) have Hartech fully rebuild it and stick a new bearing in for you with all their other modifications for you peace of mind.

There's not much point in doing anything else as its an old engine with a pile of miles and anything could go wrong at any time. Not much point trying to fix one failure mode when theres hundreds of others equally likely.

When you next change the clutch its considered best practice to inspect the bearing for play and flip the outer seal off so it does not retain old oil.

rogelio_serrano said:
fot0 said:
At 130k on original bearing then leave it alone. You're better off changing oil, checking filter for debri or dropping sump. Purchase a magnetic sump plug, regular oil changes and check levels.
I am installing a full blown engine debris sensor. It detects ferrous and non ferrous particles In oil oil lubricity and water and coolant in oil in real-time.
Hi, did you install this detector?
I have heard about one called the Guardian from TechnoLab in the US. Was it that one?
I'm a new owner of a 1998 996 cabriolet. Trying to figure out if my engine is dual or single bearing.
All guidance welcome.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back