Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

stock double row ims bearing specs

Hi guys!

I am about to collect a used 1999 996 cabriolet. I was wondering if somebody has the specs for the original double row bearing? id, od, length or part number? I'm not getting the IMS Retrofit on the market. I'm sourcing my own hybrid bearing with the same size as stock. the ones on the market are way overpriced in my opinion.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Is there a problem with the bearing in the car you are picking up? Generally the dual row bearings are much better and less likely to give issues than the later ones.

MC

hi

Thank you!

I have no idea what's on the car but it seems to have gone the whole 136k with the original bearing. The previous owner did not mention the ims bearing being upgraded. I am installing an oil condition monitor and I just want the bearing ready when it shows signs of impending failure. a hybrid bearing with same size as the all steel original is going to be more than 10 times stronger and requires much much less lubrication than the original. I think the original bearings does not have much margin in in terms of strength and loading.

I know a hybrid bearing for the wheel hubs goes at almost 200 gbp each. a smaller bearing would be cheaper than the 800 to 1000+ the current imsb upgrades on the market.

20 47 14. Stock bearing is not available anymore. You're better off just flipping the outer dust sheild and leaving be, unless you plan on stripping the engine. In that case fit a bigger bearing.

Messing with it in situ can do more harm than good.

The ims upgrades aren't 800 quid.......the labour is to fit them.

Why do you want one with seals on it? Its in an oil environment.

Foreign object damage is more likely in an open bearing.

it can get over lubricated in an oil bath. hybrid bearings need a very specific type of lubrication and only very little of it. engine oil has a different lubricating characteristics, optimised for plain bearings.

The original sealed bearings had lower temperature ratings. high temps degraded the seals and allows the grease to be washed out.

hybrid ceramic bearings run at lower temps anyway. and there is enough heat sinking and oil splash for cooling.

Foreign object damage will muller the engine before it gets in the bearing. Its not in an oil bath when the engines running and the oil vapour when it is is perfectly adequate for ball bearing lubrication.

Good luck with you mission :thumbs:

At 130k on original bearing then leave it alone. You're better off changing oil, checking filter for debri or dropping sump. Purchase a magnetic sump plug, regular oil changes and check levels.

fot0 said:
At 130k on original bearing then leave it alone. You're better off changing oil, checking filter for debri or dropping sump. Purchase a magnetic sump plug, regular oil changes and check levels.
I am installing a full blown engine debris sensor. It detects ferrous and non ferrous particles In oil oil lubricity and water and coolant in oil in real-time.

rogelio_serrano said:
I am installing a full blown engine debris sensor. It detects ferrous and non ferrous particles In oil oil lubricity and water and coolant in oil in real-time.

Rogelio seen earlier -

Only joking Rogelio. Welcome to the forum. :thumb:

Good idea with the sensor but it only detects wear. Any failure of a part will only be detected after the damage is done.

Just a note on ceramic bearings - the ln ones have been known to explode.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back