Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thoughts on 17s and regular use...

nickjonesn4

Sao Paulo
Really enjoying having the Cup 2s back on my car, ride is better and the car has a more traditional 911 feel. Definitely not a permanent swap, I like the extra grip and the looks of my Work alloys. I will definitely be putting the 17s on for the winter every year and I think for any long distance touring due to the ride comfort and reduction in the roar (even with winter tyres on)

I've been putting 250 miles a week on the car since we moved from Edinburgh up to the Trossachs in June and have built a whole new level of insight into how to approach driving her. These really are still super capable, comfortable cars that thrive on mileage. The fuel economy is also better than my Golf R on the run to Edinburgh and back.

Only the salt going down will stop me from using her through the winter. I'm super impressed with the Pirelli Sottozero's so far in both the cold and wet (very)

...17s on my 996 ; I would rather have the delicacy,comfort and tactically over extra grip that my limited driving skills can't exploit and a harder, noisier ride...

I really like the Cup 2's - both for looks and ride quality. I think they suit the cooking 993's perfectly.

Cup 2's were my wheel of choice when I had my 993 ....... look god and give a better ride than larger wheels ...... when I had my wheels refurbished by Chris at Exel Wheels I had a set of sixteens put on ..... and to be honest they gave the best ride.

I give Chris a big thumbs up if you are thinking of having your wheels refurbished. :thumb:

Nick, your comment on the change in wheel tyres restoring that which YOU describe as a "more traditional feel" caused a me measure of amusement....(-: I thought to share MY impressions of the 993 at the time of it`s launch, when I was apparently the first private individual in the UK to drive the 993 and as the launch was at Cameron House Hotel on the shores of Loch Lomond, I headed to my favourite roads to get a feel for the difference between Porsche`s latest creation, which is in your neck of the woods.. "The Dukes Pass".. (-:

The magazine photographer wanted wide open roads and high speed, whereas my ideals differed to some degree..(-: I do remember on seeing those low profile tyres as I walked towards the 993`s, thinking to myself that the ride was going to be HARSH. My reason for thinking that way was that my 911 at the time was a circa 10 year old SC non-Sport with 15" wheels, whereas the Sport had 16" wheels, both the the sport and non-sport had the same rolling radius which equated to larger profile tyres fitted on the non-sport than on the sport. The difference between comfort and handling on these two SC`s was considerable, the non-sport`s tyres taking a fraction more time to settle into a corner as it`s tyre sidewall's flexed when pushed than did the much thinner sidewalls of the sport which provided a far more sense of stability, never more so than when presented with a series of quick left and right bends in the road, such as can be found in The Dukes Pass..(-: However the difference in comfort levels provided by the smaller wheel diameter and higher profile of the sidewall had it`s benefits too.. Each to their own..

Back to the 993 I was sceptical as to just how comfortable it might be to drive with those elastic bands in place of real tyres...(-: Though it took no more than a few hundred yards for me to become impressed with the ride quality, I remember thinking that Porsche must have worked wonders with the suspension for me not to feel jarred when the inevitable bumps in the road showed up... but then I had never driven the 964, which might have better prepared me for the difference in suspension feel, betwixt my old SC and the then new 993..?

While typing this ramble through the past, the other thing that really impressed me with the 993 was the low down grunt compared to my SC, my introduction to the grunt differential was on reaching the apex of the first tight bend and applying what I thought might be the appropriate amount of throttle to test a measure of the 993`s handling.... the rear end skipped out, a touch of oppo, and a huge grin...BOY was I impressed..(-:

I had ever thought my old SC`s increase in performance as the revs rose was down to the cam profile, and only learned very recently from that which Baz typed here that it was more than likely down to the way worn piston rings behave, becoming a tad more efficient with rising revs...! Regardless, it was ever a thrill to feel the performance build as the revs rose in my SC, but the 993 was in a different league all together... all be it that it was brand new and my old SC had perhaps covered at least 80k miles by that time.

I smile when younger folk type of "more traditional feel" or indeed more analogue as opposed to digital when comparing the 996 to the 997 or later 911`s..(-: As a much wiser man than I declared.. "everything is relative", I just thought to add a tad more relativity in 911 terms to add to the overall assessment processes... (-:

It was a pleasure to see and hear your 993 at Porsche in the park event.... nice wheels... would be a shame to expose them to salt.. Went over The Dukes Pass a few times a month or so back, seems like the council may have added a lot of loose and small gravel, perhaps to slow the bikers down, though I suspect it does the paintwork no favours either... hmm...!

Oops, I seem to have rambled on a tad as ever... :?:

17's on a 993 are the perfect balance for all conditions

18'S

+VE
Looks
Handling

-VE
Ride Comfort
Cost

I like to change and swap rims around a couple of times a year, more for a change of look than anything else, however I notice very little difference between 17" Cup2's & my 18" Speedlines. 17's may be a tad softer but nothing that would detract from the look and ride of a set of cool 18" Splits.

Horses for courses...

C.

A set of forged aluminium 18" alloys like Fuchs are over a KG lighter per corner than original 17s, so then you get better handling and ride due to reduced in unsprung weight. At least that's what I've found.
Cheers
J

Luddite said:
Nick, your comment on the change in wheel tyres restoring that which YOU describe as a "more traditional feel" caused a me measure of amusement....(-: I thought to share MY impressions of the 993 at the time of it`s launch, when I was apparently the first private individual in the UK to drive the 993 and as the launch was at Cameron House Hotel on the shores of Loch Lomond, I headed to my favourite roads to get a feel for the difference between Porsche`s latest creation, which is in your neck of the woods.. "The Dukes Pass".. (-:

The magazine photographer wanted wide open roads and high speed, whereas my ideals differed to some degree..(-: I do remember on seeing those low profile tyres as I walked towards the 993`s, thinking to myself that the ride was going to be HARSH. My reason for thinking that way was that my 911 at the time was a circa 10 year old SC non-Sport with 15" wheels, whereas the Sport had 16" wheels, both the the sport and non-sport had the same rolling radius which equated to larger profile tyres fitted on the non-sport than on the sport. The difference between comfort and handling on these two SC`s was considerable, the non-sport`s tyres taking a fraction more time to settle into a corner as it`s tyre sidewall's flexed when pushed than did the much thinner sidewalls of the sport which provided a far more sense of stability, never more so than when presented with a series of quick left and right bends in the road, such as can be found in The Dukes Pass..(-: However the difference in comfort levels provided by the smaller wheel diameter and higher profile of the sidewall had it`s benefits too.. Each to their own..

Back to the 993 I was sceptical as to just how comfortable it might be to drive with those elastic bands in place of real tyres...(-: Though it took no more than a few hundred yards for me to become impressed with the ride quality, I remember thinking that Porsche must have worked wonders with the suspension for me not to feel jarred when the inevitable bumps in the road showed up... but then I had never driven the 964, which might have better prepared me for the difference in suspension feel, betwixt my old SC and the then new 993..?

While typing this ramble through the past, the other thing that really impressed me with the 993 was the low down grunt compared to my SC, my introduction to the grunt differential was on reaching the apex of the first tight bend and applying what I thought might be the appropriate amount of throttle to test a measure of the 993`s handling.... the rear end skipped out, a touch of oppo, and a huge grin...BOY was I impressed..(-:

I had ever thought my old SC`s increase in performance as the revs rose was down to the cam profile, and only learned very recently from that which Baz typed here that it was more than likely down to the way worn piston rings behave, becoming a tad more efficient with rising revs...! Regardless, it was ever a thrill to feel the performance build as the revs rose in my SC, but the 993 was in a different league all together... all be it that it was brand new and my old SC had perhaps covered at least 80k miles by that time.

I smile when younger folk type of "more traditional feel" or indeed more analogue as opposed to digital when comparing the 996 to the 997 or later 911`s..(-: As a much wiser man than I declared.. "everything is relative", I just thought to add a tad more relativity in 911 terms to add to the overall assessment processes... (-:

It was a pleasure to see and hear your 993 at Porsche in the park event.... nice wheels... would be a shame to expose them to salt.. Went over The Dukes Pass a few times a month or so back, seems like the council may have added a lot of loose and small gravel, perhaps to slow the bikers down, though I suspect it does the paintwork no favours either... hmm...!

Oops, I seem to have rambled on a tad as ever... :?:

Yep, the cup 2s have been (very well) painted body colour at some point so perfect for the winter.

No grit round these parts yet. These are my very local roads if anyone is passing through

Shared route
From Lochearnhead to Braco via A85 and B827.

38 min (24 mi)
38 min in current traffic

1. Head east towards Auchraw Terrace
2. Turn right onto Auchraw Terrace
3. Turn left onto A85
4. Turn right onto Bridge St/B827
5. At the roundabout, continue straight onto Dalginross/B827
6. Turn right onto Braco Rd/B827
7. Turn right onto A822
8. Arrive at location: Braco
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/cYNCyLvmE2HqR1zK7

Shared route
From Crieff to Pitlochry via A822 and A826.

1 hr 2 min (38 mi)
1 hr 2 min in current traffic

1. Head south-east on Victoria Terrace towards Coldwells Rd
2. Turn left onto Ferntower Rd
3. Turn right onto Connaught Terrace
4. Turn left onto Perth Rd/A85
5. Turn left onto A822
6. Slight left onto A826
7. Turn right onto Bank St/A827
8. Turn left onto Mill St
9. Turn right onto Dyers Ct
10. Turn left onto Tayside Pl
11. Arrive at location: Aberfeldy
12. Head south on Tayside Pl towards Market St
13. Turn left onto Market St
14. Turn left onto Breadalbane Terrace/A827
15. Turn left to stay on A827
16. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto the A9 slip road to Inverness
17. Exit the roundabout onto the A9 slip road to Inverness
18. Merge onto A9
19. Take the A924 exit towards A93/Pitlochry/Braemar
20. Turn right onto E Moulin Rd
21. Turn left onto Lower Oakfield
22. Turn left onto Toberargan Rd
23. Turn right onto Well Brae
24. Arrive at location: Pitlochry
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/RfFSTG9FFZ5nWhMY7

jhrfc said:
A set of forged aluminium 18" alloys like Fuchs are over a KG lighter per corner than original 17s, so then you get better handling and ride due to reduced in unsprung weight. At least that's what I've found.
Cheers
J

My wheels are forged 3 piece split rims and lighter than the Cup2s. My back wheels are very wide which I think makes the biggest difference.

...I have the 17" 10 spokes which I believe are the lightest OE Porsche wheels...

Attachments

• 20180204_093907_858_157.jpg
    20180204_093907_858_157.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 4,245
  • 20180110_132312_658_359.jpg
    20180110_132312_658_359.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 4,245
  • 20180110_132339_476_832.jpg
    20180110_132339_476_832.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 4,245
Hi

For me it is the standard 17" cup 2's which are a nice light wheel, although I have always liked the look of the 17 sport classics also.

Berni

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back