Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 Cup Car - 2021 Update, Going Racing

-ollie-

Monza
Hi All,

I've recently bought a 2002 996 GT3 Cup car. It's a genuine Cup car (not a hotted up road car), with most of the original '02 Cup parts fitted.

I'm trying (and failing) to establish where it ran in Carrera Cup in 2002-2004. The main reason for this is I'd like to recreate the period livery it ran in one day, and also to nerd out over what it's done/where it's been.

Are Porsche Motorsport the sort of people who will give you info on the cars history if you ask nicely? I know BMW are very accomodating in this respect, but unclear on Porsche.

Any tips or pointers welcome, I've searched the VIN on Google and it just brings up some Britcar/GT Cup results, nothing Carrera Cup related.

Cheers

Ollie

Good luck in your quest. :thumbs:

Have you approached PCGB?
The inaugural team champions from 2002 were Team Parker Racing, they still operate today in the Carrera Cup. They may be able to give you a steer as to where to focus on. :?:

Good luck also!

Please keep the thread updated with your progress. And pictures please.

If you need any info from team Parker then give me some details on the car, I will be taking a spin up to them this week.

Always happy to help out another member of 911uk :wink:

:thumb:

Another good luck from me. :thumb:

You may be able to run it up the hill at FOS once it's back in its original livery.
A mate of mine has two Ford Falcon V8 Australian touring cars. The organisers said if he put them back to how they were when they raced, he'd be invited to participate.

He did and we went down. He's been a few times now.

https://youtu.be/semFwjTfbIA

Thanks guys :thumb:

Approaching PCCB is a good shout, also Team Parker - I'll do both.

Someone has kindly given me the email of a contact within Porsche Motorsport who may be able to track the vin down.

Goodwood would be amazing, although I'll settle for a few fun but uneventful club races in it!

Collecting it next Tuesday so will update the thread with pictures. :bandit:

Roro said:
Congrats! :popcorn:

Cheers mate.

The plan is to tidy it up here and there and do some CSCC rounds in it next year :thumb:

I'll update this thread as I get stuck into it if there's interest?

-ollie- said:
Roro said:
Congrats! :popcorn:

Cheers mate.

The plan is to tidy it up here and there and do some CSCC rounds in it next year :thumb:

I'll update this thread as I get stuck into it if there's interest?

For sure, yes would be great to see how you progress :thumbs:

I've made some good progress with trying to understand the history of my car.

Huge thanks due to Spiller on Rennlist, I was able to contact a guy at Porsche Germany who could verify via the VIN that it ran in Carrera Cup GB in 2004. They have some intense data protection laws in Germany, so he can't tell me what team it was sold/supplied to when new in '02 however. One interesting bit of information however was that it was supplied new, painted yellow by Porsche. I was under the impression that all Cup cars were white from new - this appears to be wrong.

Anyway, I've spoken to the Teams that ran cars in 2004 (those still going/contactable at least) in GB and been able to run the VIN past them. I'm 99% sure that the below is my car running in 2004 with a chap called Jonathan Fildes driving it, ran by Total Control Racing who are based in the West Midlands in the UK. I'm basing my 99% on the fact that Porsche have confirmed it ran in Carrera Cup in '04, and its still the same colour. Plus, I've spoken to the remaining Teams and ran the VIN past them, and it's not one of theirs - all really nice helpful guys however.
Sadly Total Control don't have a record of the VIN of the car they ran - hence my 99%.

Total Control are still racing, but don't run Porsches anymore. It would appear that my car (if I'm right) entered every round in 2004, and was at the sharp end a few times. Looks like the driver could pedal, it came 4th overall in the '04 GB Carrera Cup Championship.

Here's a great shot of it rubbing the back bumper of BTCC driver Tim Harvey!

p1VDs0S.jpg

And attempting to take off!

xj5bXNb.jpg

Here is the current state of the car in my mechanic's workshop, (don't worry I have all the doors). It's having some catch up maintenance before my first run out in it which will hopefully be before then end of this calendar year.

o6bIC67.jpg

The friendly contact at Porsche GMBH has given me the details of his counterpart in GB, who may be able to be more disclosive RE what they know of the car's history due to (hopefully, perhaps!) less onerous data protection laws.

So I still don't know where or with who it ran in '02 & '04, whilst painted yellow - I'm cautiously optimistic I'll find out however! If anyone knows of a 996 Cup that ran from new in '02 that was yellow, please shout up!

Cheers

Ollie

That's excellent. What's the plan with the car long term? To race in Masters / historic series?

Do you own / have you owned / driven a 996.2 GT3 / RS road car?

From what I read, the driving impression is pretty similar. I'd be interested in your view when your Cup car is complete.

If not, you're welcome to drive mine (road and track) for direct comparison if interested.

Y2K said:
That's excellent. What's the plan with the car long term? To race in Masters / historic series?

Do you own / have you owned / driven a 996.2 GT3 / RS road car?

From what I read, the driving impression is pretty similar. I'd be interested in your view when your Cup car is complete.

If not, you're welcome to drive mine (road and track) for direct comparison if interested.

I hope to do some rounds of the Classic Sports Car Championship next year in it if I can get up to a decent pace. I've raced for a couple of years prior, but in an M3 which I've taken as far as I can/am willing to. I do need to be a bit careful, as racing is crazy expensive (or has been for me historically in the M3) but so much fun/a unique buzz - I can't enjoy this too much. A few rounds in a series will do me.

I've never raced a GT3, but have a 997 GT3 which I've done lots of UK & Europe trackdays in. I'm essentially starting all over again! :thumb:

I've driven a 996 GT3 road car, but it wasn't a particularly good one! It would be great fun to get the Cup car and your GT3 together on a track day 8)

Brilliant mate, definition of 'living the dream'!

Yes, hope to meet you on track next year, and if your Cup car has a passenger seat then I call 'shotgun'! :thumb:

It's Henry Firmans old car I believe?

ditchvisitor said:
It's Henry Firmans old car I believe?

Oddly, no. I was adamant it was though as they're aren't many this colour.

I thought the same and called 911 Virgin to find out if they had any more info on it, to be told they still have their car!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back