Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''ve decided to expand on the GT3C theme. Just for fun.

C11BRA said:
Phil 997 said:
The carbon scoops from Porscheshop are a reasonable price is that the ones your talking about . they seem half the price of some of the others . the gurney needs to stay black but its personal if you paint or leave carbon the scoops . I am not sure that going back to stock ride hight might lose the GT stance . fully understand the H&R are too low for your needs they are the lowest of the three main brands , but would look at either techart springs which are the least drop of the main brands or search out some used coilovers . TBH getting the stance and hight right are more important to achieving the aggressive GT look than the scoops and gurney so that would be where my money went first. :thumb: keep us posted as its an interesting thread :thumb:

oh yes and are you getting the alcantara lower dash to finish the interior , mine is aftermarket retrimmed as you can see compared to the OE gear knob and gator an excellent match

Love the Alcantara dash. I will add that to my Trimmer's to do list.

As for the standard front springs. It's just a short term fix whilst I consider a permanent fix to ride height/comfort balance.

Here's a quick shot of the car as it stands (from last Ace meet).

I do prefer the lower stance in the other pic ,but as you say no good if you cant drive it . the H&R drop 30mm the techart drop 20mm . I haven't noticed a reduction in ride comfort using either H&R or techart , they seem the same as stock springs

Hi Phil.

I think Centre Gravity were spot on. Who ever fitted the H & R springs (with new Bilsteins, top mounts & new full size bump stops) didn't allow for the suspension travel. Centre gravity recommended different bump stops which probably would have given me the ride you have experienced. However, the car is simply too low so going back to standard (temporarily) has killed two birds. Nose clearance for this weekends road trip & the comfort we desired.

My ideal plan would be to fit coil overs with a nose lift kit. I'm working on it.

NLW73 said:
have you removed the GT3 badges yet?

I've decided to leave all the GT3 references that have already been fitted.

Still not decided about the single badge on the car.

It's so damn obvious to Porsche experts (like you guys) that it's not a GT car. But to the less educated, I quite like the challenge of making them look twice.

You have to remember that I have history of simply liking iconic cars. I class GT3's in this league, especially the 997. So to drive a (cosmetic) replica does it for me (and I keep the £50k in the bank for other projects)

My first project when I was 19 was a Cobra (hence my plate C11BRA).
V8 yes. Ford V8 No.
Halibrand wheels yes. 15" deep dish No.
Awesome paint yes. Traditional colour No.
Did I love it yes. Was it trying to be a replica No.
I just built it for me. And it was awesome IMO.

Hertsdriver said:
Why have you changed the thread title? you've now made the thread very difficult for anyone to follow :dont know:

I wasn't sure I could. So I tried it.

I thought it was more relevant tbh. If people subscribe then surely they can still follow.

Things to (possibly) do in first 18 months.

Fit mesh grilles to bumper vents.
Overhaul brakes & hoses. Paint calipers non PCCB yellow?
Fit the larger GT3 suspension mounted brake cooling ducts.
Fit centre radiator & ducting. With thermostat.
Fit Gurney strip to rear spoiler.
Fit air intake scoops to rear spoiler. Painted or carbon fibre.
Modify centre exhaust with switchable valve system.
Remove 10mm spacers from rear and replace with 5mm spacers from front.
May consider a set of front springs to temporarily lower the front 10-15mm.
Trim interior parts with Alcantara as per genuine GT3. (Excl centres of seats)
Fit fire extinguisher/s (may paint yellow to match interior theme)

Please feel free to suggest other details.

Longer term.

I'd like to fit coil-over system with nose lift.
Larger brake calipers & larger steel discs all round. And larger bore master cylinder if needed.
If the engine/IMS fails, I would seriously look into fitting a Mezger lump.
(Pretty sure it would be a nightmare with all the dry sump ancillaries etc but I'd love the challenge. Would it even mate with the standard gearbox. I've researched the GT3 box and for road use, I don't think it's worth the slightly nicer heft to the gear change and the option to change ratios (that I'm unlikely to ever do).

BTW.

I promise to do something with the GT3 badge on the rear. It will either be a de-badge or something creative. For now it still wears it's wrongly sized 991 GT3 badge, but only because I haven't decided what to do yet.

NLW73 said:
have you removed the GT3 badges yet?

Hang him if he hasn't I say :judge:

You should not be driving this hoodwink of a car :nooo:

:roll:

C11BRA said:
Longer term.

... fitting a Mezger lump.
... Would it even mate with the standard gearbox.

Nope (which is why the Turbo went to the 9A1 architecture when PDK came in with the 997 Gen 2 while the GT3, GT3RS, GT2 and GT2RS all remained strictly manual until the Mezger was retired). So if you were ever to do such an engine swap then you will either also be doing the gearbox as well or sailing into uncharted waters engineering a way to mate your old one to it (which may or may not even be viable).

To be honest, I suspect that a better option would be to accept life with fewer RPMs available and instead investigate a Hartech 3.9 rebuild & upgrade when such time comes. That also ought to fit very nicely with the character of tourer that you seem to be heading towards?
:?:

Good advice Disco.

Thank you.

I imagine that there are considerably more Turbo engine & gearboxes available on the market than GT3. Has anyone heard of cars being retro fitted with this combination? Obviously disconnecting the front drive of the 4WD box (as it seems can be done). And then changing piston/con-rod internals to increase the compression ratio up to NA spec. I imagine the crankshaft has different throw dimensions which will probably make the idea financially stoopid. Then the intake & exhaust would need modification. Any extra sensors on a Mezger?

Just playing with ideas before people start aiming their guns.

C11BRA said:
Good advice Disco.

Thank you.

I imagine that there are considerably more Turbo engine & gearboxes available on the market than GT3. Has anyone heard of cars being retro fitted with this combination? Obviously disconnecting the front drive of the 4WD box (as it seems can be done). And then changing piston/con-rod internals to increase the compression ratio up to NA spec. I imagine the crankshaft has different throw dimensions which will probably make the idea financially stoopid. Then the intake & exhaust would need modification. Any extra sensors on a Mezger?

Just playing with ideas before people start aiming their guns.

personally if you want oomph the simple and around 10k solution is to fit a supercharger they do one that sits snuggly where the current airbox sits and adds 150bhp that would take you to 505bhp with no turbo lag :grin: :grin: then your well and truly in GT3 territory and still Naturally aspirated .

Having a great time in Wales.

Drove south today down the coastal roads from Conwy Quay hotel to a fantastic hotel near St David's. The Twr Felin Hotel. A former windmill. An art hotel & perfect to our taste.

My fake-ass car!

I chose a room in the original windmill. (Top left of photo)

Very very impressed with the room & art. (In need of some Paul Oz art in my opinion though)

Looking forward to fancy pants dinner in the restaurant later.

The 997 is enjoying our first road trip. Hoping for nicer weather tomorrow up the mountain roads.

Love the well placed finger :grin:

Did they get the artwork from Kool Kanvas :dont know: :floor:

Hotel looks mega :thumb:

Whilst driving south today, we come across 3 air cooled and a 996.2 heading north. Any one know these guys?

By complete fluke, we drove in convoy on the M25 with these chaps on Friday morning. They must be doing a South to North Wales Drive whilst we are doing the opposite. Early black 911 on black/silver plates is lovely.

Why would you bother putting a mezger in a standard 997? Seems a lot of effort and ££

Just go out and buy a real gt3 as that would keep its value. Not a fake 997 with a mezger in it.

There is so much you would have to change to get it anywhere near a real gt3 and it would never be one. Wrong chassis number and not the stiffer shell of a gt3 for starters

As you said first up you had the money for a gt3 so go buy one

They are dropping in price and a lovely black one for 65k in aldershot for sale

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back