Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange starter motor sound when hot.

Stoddy

Hi,

I noticed during my lovely Sunday drive, that on re starting the car after a short stop, the starter motor sounded slightly odd. It's a sort of choking sound when the car is hot.
When it's cold, no problem, it's just when it's hot.
Is the starter about to give up? Or is it maybe an earthing issue?
Any thoughts gratefully received!

Stoddy :?:

Alex took his apart and re-greased the rear bearing to stop a squeal that mine had too.

I took mine apart and found that the rear bearing grease had dried up. I took the motor apart and also re-greased the gearing but decided that I didn't want to have to do it again so I fitted a new motor (courtesy Eurocarparts) for about £130 exchange.

It's not too bad a job as long as you have a set of wobble bars as socket set extensions.

Oh ok, yeah, I guess the sound could be a bearing? Well I reckon for that price, I'll exchange it.
What's a wobble bar by the way Mike?
Thanks for the info!

Rich.

"choking" as in lethargic or difficult to start when hot? More likely to be positive cable running from jump post connecting to starter and alternator. The cable eventually breaks down with age and heat.

Ooh, that sounds bang on!
Where's the jump post??

These are what I bought:

The extensions have a curved profile that allows them to be used at an angle, more easy to control than UJs and ideal for working around Porsche (and other) engine bays.

Attachments

• s_l500_1_945.jpg
    s_l500_1_945.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,223
Brilliant thanks!

Rich.

Stoddy said:
Ooh, that sounds bang on!
Where's the jump post??

As you look at engine - top right. Plastic rectangle box that opens to reveal the +jump post. This is where the starter cable terminates.

Great stuff, I'll try and look tomorrow.

Cheers!

Rich. 👍👍🤘

Ok, can't see any sign of cable breaking down on the jump post, I guess it's more likely that it's down near the motor it's self?

Rich.

It won't be visibly damaged, but sounds similar to an issue I had. I suspect where the copper cable is joined/crimped at the terminals it will eventually lose conductivity with constant heating and cooling. An indie should be able to test for you with a multimeter.

Ok cheers. I'll have to get it sorted as it very nearly didn't re start today when hot after I'd stopped.
In Manchester now.

Stoddy

If I was remaking the joint/crimp lug or replacing the cable ( as an electrician by trade ) I would tin ( solder) the stripped cable end, before crimping on the new lug, then heat the new joint/lug up with a blowtorch and run some more solder into the joint, that way it will never happen again in future :thumb:

I'm not sure if you have same problem as mine was but..... mine hot starting end up with £4000 bill if your car is manual take out air box and spin engine any resistance in the same place NOT GOOD.

If you need any more info ask, I'm from Rochdale if not far you can come by just send me PM.

Sent you a pm mate.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back