Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

who is running a solid flywheel on a turbo

pauluk996turbo

hi all i had a lightened ( solid ) flywheel fitted to my 996 turbo last year and love the way it drives engine feels much more like what i would imagine a 911 engine to be like but ...

i do have a problem with the engine stalling seems every time i come to a set of traffic lights it just wants to stall does anyone actually run one in a daily ? as i would like to start using the car more often

i was thinking of getting the idle increased slightly but not sure if this would actually help :dont know:

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Attachments

• porsche_996__557.jpg
    porsche_996__557.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,651
When I bought my 996 c2 I was told it had a lightweight flywheel and that this was why it was so easy to stall when parking etc. It turned out it was a vacuum leak that was causing it to stall so easily, and when I changed the clutch & flywheel, I found it was a normal dual mass one.

I think you may be able to determine if you have a vaccuum leak by checking your fuel trim with a computer, but I'm not certain. Hopefully Demort will be along soon and will be able to help you.

thanks for the reply but i do defiantly have a solid flywheel as i has it fitted when i had the clutch changed

in terms of vacuum leak may be worth a check as it does stall very easy and maybe the mechanic broke something when fitting the clutch :dont know:

Yep, I wasn't suggesting you don't have a LWFW, just that you might want to investigate the possibility of a vacuum leak. Are you getting all the boost that you should be? A vacuum leak becomes a boost leak under boost remember.

I had the tickover speed raised and a small hole drilled in the throttle butterfly. Depending on the tune it seems that the revs can fall so quickly that the idle speed control is too slow to react and can't catch it before it stalls. Once sorted mine was 100% stall free.

MC

It shouldn't stall, and if you have one its obvious if you have driven Porsche with them before.

Martin996RSR said:
Yep, I wasn't suggesting you don't have a LWFW, just that you might want to investigate the possibility of a vacuum leak. Are you getting all the boost that you should be? A vacuum leak becomes a boost leak under boost remember.

yes boosting very well around 0.8-0.9 boost might have to pay desgin 911 a visit as its one of there flywheels and just to see if they can confirm its acting as it should

MisterCorn said:
I had the tickover speed raised and a small hole drilled in the throttle butterfly. Depending on the tune it seems that the revs can fall so quickly that the idle speed control is too slow to react and can't catch it before it stalls. Once sorted mine was 100% stall free.

MC

thanks for the reply ! may i ask who done it for you ? it currently has a desgin 911 map on the car if that helps at all :dont know: :grin:

pauluk996turbo said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

thanks for the reply ! may i ask who done it for you ? it currently has a desgin 911 map on the car if that helps at all :dont know: :grin:

My car is looked after by Matt at Fearnsport. The other option is to keep your foot very slightly on the throttle as the revs drop, but that isn't anywhere near as easy.

MC

MisterCorn said:
pauluk996turbo said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

My car is looked after by Matt at Fearnsport. The other option is to keep your foot very slightly on the throttle as the revs drop, but that isn't anywhere near as easy.

i have tried that and cannot do it :floor: but i called fearnsport this morning a seem to be great guys they have advised me about drilling the throttle body valve which i will do when the car returns and ive also arrange to take my car up to them for a complete once over and a suspension setup

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back