Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

heatshield bolt size

Shurv

Does anyone know what the bolt size is for 3.6 heatshields. Mine are rusty and rattling, and I'm sure they will be a pain to get off. I want to replace the bolts with either stainless or titanium, which is the recommended option? Thanks.

I seem to recall that with a couple on mine that had sheared or the shield has corroded away we fixed it with a self tapper and a washer. Or maybe we used the original hole with a washer on a new screw.

Did mine this weekend, 6mm (10mm head). I reused the original bolts as they were ok (unlike the heat shields).

Sorry, didn't measure the length. They also have large diameter 'washer' faces which are larger than the bolt head size, to spread the load.

They were fairly easy to get off but I had them off in the recent past to fit new coil packs, I used a 1/4" ratchet socket. For the rear LH one, you need a bit of 'extra length' so I used a short extension.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting that you were able to use the old bolts. I need to start spraying them with penetrating oil. :thumbs:

It's a bit oily where mine live so the come out ok!

I have literally just looked at this because the heat shields were missing on the car I have just bought. The bolts are M6x16. Screwfix do a bag of 10 in stainless steel for £1.39 and I am going to add penny washers to help spread the load.

Just bin them. Never had any on mine and it keeps the coil packs nice and dry and gives you greater access round that area.

Alex, so what purpose do they serve then? Interesting that you don't have any fitted to yours.

Well I guess the idea is to stop them baking the coil packs and leads, but I've never had them on mine in 6 years+ and they haven't seemed to cause any problem. :dont know:

Just seem to get in folks way if you ask me. I always wondered why it took people so long to change their plugs and struggle getting them out when I could do it in half an hour.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back