Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Level Reset Help !!!!!!!! -----------------

Jam911 said:
It should take at least 8.5 lt in total

I've just done an oil change on my C2 gen 1 today and all I can squeeze into it is 7.6 litres and yes it was completely drained and yes its on level ground !!

robro911 said:
Jam911 said:

I've just done an oil change on my C2 gen 1 today and all I can squeeze into it is 7.6 litres and yes it was completely drained and yes its on level ground !!

It holds 9 litres if dry. If you only get 7.6 litres in then you have either not fully drained it or you are reading the display incorrectly or on a hill. Short of a damn big dent in your sump reducing the capacity or a faulty capacity sender, there is no other explanation. :eek:

The min to max lvl is 1.5 liters , if the oil is lower than this then the bottom segment will flash ... yours does so there is not enough oil in the car for it to register on the gauge .

I can say .. with 7 litres in the car it's not enough and you will have what you have already got .. it needs oil adding ( gauge will not read this low ) .

car must be run up to operating temp .. if bottom segment flashes then add 1 ltr .. recheck .. if still flashing then add 0.5 ltr and check .. you will have a reading at this point .

If the car had drained out overnight then about 9 liters is what it will take .

So a lot of this is based on just how long you drained the car for ?

Worst that can happen ... you over fill it .. if 0.5 over fill then it will still be fine ..

If you go massively over then you just have to drain some or all of it out and start again.

Can i just say .. i've drained in excess of 2 litres over filling in cars before and they drove ok .

In short i'm just repeating what has already been said ..

if you are still unsure then i'll PM you my number and i'll go through it on the phone with you :)

jl-c said:
robro911 said:
Jam911 said:

It holds 9 litres if dry. If you only get 7.6 litres in then you have either not fully drained it or you are reading the display incorrectly or on a hill. Short of a damn big dent in your sump reducing the capacity or a faulty capacity sender, there is no other explanation. :eek:

Interesting comment, but it was certainly drained and on level ground, however I will go back to it tomorrow and recheck the gauge. It was all so much simpler in the aircooled days with a dipstick !!

robro911 said:
jl-c said:
robro911 said:
Jam911 said:

Interesting comment, but it was certainly drained and on level ground, however I will go back to it tomorrow and recheck the gauge. It was all so much simpler in the aircooled days with a dipstick !!

How long did you drain it for ?

deMort said:
robro911 said:
jl-c said:
robro911 said:
Jam911 said:

Just over an hour, there really was nothing left to drain,just the odd drop every 10 secs or so. I'm not new to "spannering" so changing the oil isn't exactly challenging for me, so I'm a little mystified as to the reading on the gauge.

How long did you drain it for ?

Sometimes it does happen , no idea why .. rule of thumb you will get about 8.5 out but i have on occasion only added what you have to get a max reading .

I could say there is an issue with the sender unit but i have seen this on and off since they first came out and there has never been an issue .

Change the rule of thumb to .. it will be anything from 7.5 - 9 ltrs depending on the drain and the awkwardness of the car !

For the OP .. i chatted on the phone to him and he needs to add more so his car is closer to the 8.5 lvl .

EDIT ..

After thinking about this it might be the position of a component in the engine that is holding back some oil .. camshafts perhaps .. i have no answer basically but it does happen .

Oil

I've just done an oil change, 7.5l out and 7.5l back including the bit in the filter pot.
Drained for over an hour, engine was up to normal temp and on level ground in garage.

Ok after messing about i finally sorted out the levels this morning before my M.O.T. which of course the 997 passed naturally!!

Thanks all for ya input and iain for taking my call !! Appreciated!!

Cheers!!! :thumb:

Attachments

• 20191106_083036_20191106111623228_139.jpg
    20191106_083036_20191106111623228_139.jpg
    934.6 KB · Views: 1,207
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Good news ! :)

I think you may have overfilled it now !! My understanding is the very top smaller segment should not be lit white. DeMort will know.

montygraphics said:
I think you may have overfilled it now !! My understanding is the very top smaller segment should not be lit white. DeMort will know.

Ive poured in total 8.3 liters, not 8.5, it did go to the line before the top, i checked and poured alittle more and now shows up all bars...

Cheers

J

Re: Oil

D5RSR said:
I've just done an oil change, 7.5l out and 7.5l back including the bit in the filter pot.
Drained for over an hour, engine was up to normal temp and on level ground in garage.

Really glad to hear that, I was a little concerned that I could only squeeze 7.6 litres into mine and I know I had done everything correctly. It only goes to prove that we shouldn't believe everything we read on the forums !

-- 997 -- said:
Ive poured in total 8.3 liters, not 8.5, it did go to the line before the top, i checked and poured a little more and now shows up all bars...

Why did you add more when it was already at the max line :?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back