Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4 GTS RS spyder wheels winter tyres.

jhrfc

Spa-Francorchamps
I would like to get some winter tyres for my c4 gts.
Tyres, not tyres and wheels!
I have 19" rs syder centre lock wheels, currently with bridgestone 305/30 ZR 19 on the rear.
The Porsche tyre specs pdfs
https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/tyreapproval/
describe the summer and winter rear tyres as 305, and 295 width respectively.
But it also show the wheel width as being different at 11.5J and 11J respectively.
Does this means I should really have different rear wheel size for summer and winter tyres? or can you fit either 305 or 295 tyres to the same wheel?
how do i find out what size my current wheels actually are!
Thanks
J

My 11J rears are perfectly happy with 295 or 305 (depends on manufacturer which goes on, ie 295 Michelin 305 Bridgestone )

The normal Spyder wheels are 8.5/11. Being Gen 2 they probably state it inside, on the rear of a spoke.

Thanks will have a look, but from what I can find online the wheels are all 11j

The Spyder centre locks are 8.5 and 11. The 11 rear is fine for either 305 or 295 (it is the standard winter 295 wheel for the 997.2 GT3RS and Turbo S {if centre locks weren't optionally deleted}) as well as the GTS).

As far as I recall, the only 11.5J 997 was the Fuchs style rim on the Sport Classic and that was an option on the GTS (not sure if it was standard configurator or Porsche exclusive, but it could be had) if you deleted the centre lock option (so will show in charts and wheel searches as a valid size). If you had those then you ought to source another set of wheels as while they probably would mount, they are out of spec for a 295 winter. However, since you have Spyder rims : not a factor for you. :thumb:

Mounting/unmounting tyres seasonally is a pain though, so if you have somewhere to stack them I'd still recommend checking eBay (include germany and so in in your search) to see if a used set is available for sensible money before going down that path (I got the winters {with the narrower rear} for my narrow bodied GT3 with centre locks for only £1200* inc little used tyres and TPMS sensors; although admittedly quite a few years back). Can't hurt to check...

* - why so cheap? They didn't sell on the initial listing so I contacted the vendor and agreed a deal for cash in hand picked up from Preston {opposite end of the country from me} within the week. Also - being for a narrow bodied centre lock there are not many people out there with cars that they will fit (literally only the 997.2 GT3 winter runs them in 11j - the standard/summer is a 12j), so more of a buyers market than for GTS, RS or Turbo/S fitment.

You can run 305s and 295s on an 11 inch rim, and you can run 295s on the 11.5 inch rim: I have the optional 11.5 inch Carrera Sport rims on my 4S with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 295 winters fitted. They're not ideal though as the diamond cut edge doesn't like the winter. (I'll get them refurbished one day I suppose, when they get tatty.)

Thanks all, good to know the 295s will fit.
I don't really mind the twice yearly tyre swap, having done it on my cayman daily drivers .
No net increase in running costs swapping the tyres, as opposed to duplicate wheels
I've seen various 2nd hand sets of centre locks but am too tight really
And also small matter is I can store the tyres in my garage but not a full set of wheels
Cheers
J

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back