Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ignition key stuck

Rob6

I have a 2007 997 Automatic.

Drove home yesterday and as usual pushed the selector to the P position and went to take the ignition key out but couldn't. I got an error saying 'put selector lever to P' - even though it was already there.

I popped onto this forum but couldn't find anything, so I googled and found the same problem for a Porsche owner in the states. The answer was 'use brute force', so I did.
I am glad to report it worked but I have not been brave enough to drive it today.

Anyone else had this or got a remedy?

Thanks

My 2006 tiptronic became quite stiff to shift after being out on a run, when it was cold, it was fine. Told my Indy and they had heard of problem before; they adjusted the gear linkage, fairly cheap job, and it's been fine since.

I didn't have the problem with the key, but might be connected.
Good luck.

Rob6 said:
I have a 2007 997 Automatic.

Drove home yesterday and as usual pushed the selector to the P position and went to take the ignition key out but couldn't. I got an error saying 'put selector lever to P' - even though it was already there.

I popped onto this forum but couldn't find anything, so I googled and found the same problem for a Porsche owner in the states. The answer was 'use brute force', so I did.
I am glad to report it worked but I have not been brave enough to drive it today.

Anyone else had this or got a remedy?

Thanks

I found this after a bit of digging about, no idea if the info is any good but worth a look
:?:

"Have a look in your Driver's Manual under Ignition Lock/Steering Lock - there's a section Emergency operation - releasing the ignition key."

Good luck. :thumb:

You should have a small plastic cover by the key and a metal bit in the fuse box lid to poke it with. That's how it worked on my 997.2.

Thanks for the posts.
I fiund the emergency ignition key removal section in the manual, but I didnt need to use it the end after i forced it a bit it came out.
I was more concerned why the system think the selector is not at P when it is.
Maybe that first reply to my opener could be similar?

My PDK did it from time to time over 6 years and two gearboxes. They tried to fix it once.

Rob6 said:
Thanks for the posts.

Maybe that first reply to my opener could be similar?

Is your tip. shifter stiffer after a run ? mine was fine when cold but when hot, it was stiffer and it did seem to have difficulty displaying whether it was in park or not.

If yours show these symptoms, I'd definitely get your gear linkage checked out by a decent Porsche indie or somebody who knows the cars.
Good luck.

Your problem is a stiff gear cable / linkage .. it's not reaching far enough so the car thinks its not in park and so will not release the key.

X2 places it will be .. either the linkage on the gearbox which has a pivot has seized .. we remove it free it off and grease it ..

Or it will be the actual gear lever .. there is a T30 screw on the right side which can self tighten .. remove the center console or at least lift it up and slacken this screw by 1/4 of a turn .

last few i have done and they have all been this screw .. strange .. it always used to be the linkage .

Attachments

• t30_421.jpg
    t30_421.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2,130
deMort said:
Your problem is a stiff gear cable / linkage .. it's not reaching far enough so the car thinks its not in park and so will not release the key.

X2 places it will be .. either the linkage on the gearbox which has a pivot has seized .. we remove it free it off and grease it ..

Or it will be the actual gear lever .. there is a T30 screw on the right side which can self tighten .. remove the center console or at least lift it up and slacken this screw by 1/4 of a turn .

last few i have done and they have all been this screw .. strange .. it always used to be the linkage .

Sounds like a good place to start - how easyis to lift the centre console and where do I start please?

Thanks

First place to start is to disconnect the gear cable at the gearbox end .. you can soon feel if the linkage is stiff or not .. you can also with the cable disconnected feel if its still tight .. it shouldn't be with cable not connected .

Image of the gearbox pivot.

This then proves which way to go .

PM me an email addy for you please :)

Attachments

• 320_06_808.jpg
    320_06_808.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 2,004

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member