Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering rack woes

Nooo! Can you not get the lines back in? Those are long and very expensive new.

You may be able to get a local hydraulic hose engineer (PIRTEK?) to make up new ends for you.

AFAIK my mechanic dropped the rack off the column and left the lines connected.

Usually the best way to tackle the nuts is to cut the crusty hard line off and used a well fitting socket on the flare nuts.

This makes it look so easy:
20170105_101320_1484126591424_resized-1024x576.jpg

That looks like a C4... It looks like the transfer box is being held up with that chrome pole. I will have another try of getting the lines back in. Tapping them in with a punch may help, and Pirtek is another option. I have a spare rack that I could take over to them to see if they could get something to fit.

Cheers for the advice.

Joe

Joe,

How is it going? Picked my pipes up in person from the power steering store on Wednesday and will tackle when I do the front suspension refresh.

Ian

Any update - I'm just tackling mine and its challenging! Got 3 of 4 pipe unions undone with it in situ but the last one is resisting due to access!!
Ian

Wasz can I ask about the column? I'm dropping my rack and tank to sort a few scant bits on the chassis. Does the rack not come away from the column?

I'm still crying over my power steering issue! I feel your pain,

I had play in my steering rack so had to replace it with a recondition unit, this then caused the issue or removing the pressure and return lines that run the length of the car and both welded themselves to the rack I'm told, I started a thread on this and I was advised to use Pirtek but I found myself running out of time due to the garage wanting the car off the ramp and pirtek not sure if they could replicate them quick enough or at all (please do your own enquires on this as other branches can differ) and to be fair to them I didn't get time to find out yet, I have my old pipes and will be dropping them in to see if they can repair, and then I can offer them for sale to anyone in my position for very minimal price! however I had no choice but to purchase them from Porsche £994 😖

Other reasons I was told is that when removed they sometimes don't go back in and seal properly so can leak but I don't know if that's true with all cases,

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back