Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another crap dealer thread!!!

C4Silver said:
deMort said:
I have to admit though i'm as frustrated as you guys are .. salesman should be champing at the bit to sell a car and not expect someone to walk in with wads of cash and say i want that one where do i sign !!

That's the problem, wads of cash and they're not interested, it seems now they want every last drop on finance, minimum amount in maximum payment every Month.

A few years ago the dealers seemed to help with residuals, monthly's and amounts to favour the deal. I picked up a Tiguan for my Mrs last week, they'd put Tyre and wheel Insurance on the finance, Gap Insurance and paint protection !

I made them cancel the crap paint protection as it's a complete waste of money, that went down well but as they didn't ask I thought they were taking the pi$$ to be quite honest, I kept the Gap and alloy Insurance but made them take it out of the finance so I could pay it in a oner, the mats, boot Mat and a charger cable were also secreted into finance, they had a little pow wow in the office between me scrutinising their behaviour and I very nearly walked out of there while I had to wait with them glaring thro the glass ! My wife just about managed to keep me under control !

I'd specifically said I wanted nothing in the finance except the remaining balance so why they put everything in there including a £16 cable Which attracts interest for 3 years that I'd clearly struggle to pay is beyond me !

I was told a while ago that buying a car in the not too distant future would be like going to a drive thro, you would drive in your PX, walk through a door and drive off in a new one, all the ordering would be done on line and there would be no salesman just a handover ? It makes me wonder if they're already giving the salesman less and less to do, they don't ring you back, the finance calculators are all on line, there's physically very little outlay as they're only inviting minimum payment ?

I'm just glad to see that it's not just me who struggles with real world problems !

It is great though when you deal with a salesperson who really knows his/her stuff and takes your money without protest and because the whole buying experience has been a terrific one.

They can make the feel good factor a reality.

spongebob squarepants said:
Ok so after weeks without internet, then disorder and chaos in Baghdad, now sat in an undisclosed venue in the Iraqi desert, its hot, its thundering, its lightning, its infested with flies, but most of all there's now no electricity to go with the limited internet. :nooo:

So car dealers. FFS. A trio of 991 Turbo's have caught my interest and could possibly sway me away from my beloved Herman. In reality I cant really afford it and know the px offer will be dogs, however it would be nice to find out!

Having contacted 3 dealers, nothing! Having made it very clear I cant talk on the phone for hrs, with basic stuff that can be done in an e. mail- Nothing!

How hard can it be???? I want your car, and I want to px mine? Give me a ball park? Well talk finance, ill go to someone who'll give me 3% cheaper, and well hopefully do a deal!!! Ive done it like this many times, with 911V, Redline, Ashgood etc and several OPC's.

But no instead well just ignore you! I dont get it, i mean id ignore me, but they dont even know me yet to make that decision! The cars im looking at are still available, its not as if they are sold , and they arent even Yorkshire cars!

Porsche (and car dealers generally) its just not good enough, how hard can it be FFS! Strangely one of the 'dealers' does a 'we buy your car. com' and guess what? I had a ***** offer in hours!

Let me see if I can get this straight...

1. You have emailed several dealers about cars they have for sale and you have explained you are abroad.
2. You expect them to give you part ex prices on car they havnt seen.
3. You believe you have received poor service because they havnt got back to you.

Are you on drugs? No dealer in their right mind would commit to anything over email which I am sure you understand as you talk about 'ball park', so stop pissing about wasting their time while you are bored at work.

There is no way on earth you would buy a car just purely based on an email conversation, so get back to the uk, drive to the dealers, let them appraise your car, drive their car and do a deal.

I spent 10 years selling cars, and nothing is more annoying than wasting time with a man from abroad who has access to the internet and is bored :floor:

To be fair, I would have at least emailed you to let you know that I was very interested in your car as I have a potential buyer waiting for a yellow one (which would be *****, but make you think you will get a good deal). I would let you know that I wouldn't be able to give you any prices until I see it, I would maybe suggest WBAC if you wanted a market ballpark worst case figure, but let you know that we would definitely be able to beat that easily once we had seen it, and tried to arrange an appointment for you to come down. Lastly I would have let you know that there are 2 other people also discussing the car you are looking at (also *****), and ask you to please come back quickly with a definite appointment, but I would let you know if it sold. :thumb:

mikeluke said:
Just remind me again where Wakefield is?

:?: :hand:

Ah yes Yorkshire I believe :grin: I doubt a Yorkshire dealer would conduct a deal in this way! Strangely contrary to belief ive done deals this way several times with real dealers on trust, 911V, OPC Belfast, OPC Leeds to name a few.

Ive never viewed a car prior to sale, and the dealer has not seen mine prior to the deal, honesty prevails and if its wrong on either side it doesnt work obviously, for most car dealers (and salesman, previous included) this stuff is rocket science of course :thumb: :roll:

I was gonna say, I've just bought a car over email and I'm not on drugs,

I changed my D5 3 weeks ago and he gave me a price on mine, sent me all the relevant details on the new one all via the medium of honesty and integrity.....
I've been buying LR's from the same place for 20 years mind,
I've had 4 Porsche's, two cayennes a Macan and a Panamera from Silverstone all done via email ?

The problems I've been encountering are from franchised dealers like Evans Halshaw, JCT600, Marshall's, Sytner etc, all wanting market dominance, All registering vehs and selling them as new, all wanting you to take finance under their terms and conditions, they're registering cars to meet targets but using them as personal transport whilst racking up the miles and refusing to reduce the price whilst running round in them.

Call it perks of the job, salesman's prerogative or whatever other terminology they want but advertising a car with 23 miles on the clock, traveling an hour to go and see it to find out it's not there because the salesman has a week off and he's gone on holiday in it......it's been pretty registered. and it's actually got 3,200 miles on the clock ! Is mis selling ! They don't want it because they're enjoying joy driving it !

One salesman even told me he didn't want to sell it because he'd waited a year to spec the car exactly how he wanted it and he'd barely driven it
His Mrs liked it........ and he was going to a wedding in wales next week in it !

I think he was on drugs !

Hertsdriver said:
Bad example C4 if you have dealt with the same dealer for x years, the OP was randomly emailng dealers he has never bought cars from before - not the same thing.

But the OP has done just that before, successfully :hand:

and you have never had the pleasure of correspondance from the Sponge :grin:

jonttt said:
Hertsdriver said:
Bad example C4 if you have dealt with the same dealer for x years, the OP was randomly emailng dealers he has never bought cars from before - not the same thing.

But the OP has done just that before, successfully :hand:

and you have never had the pleasure of correspondance from the Sponge :grin:

Hmm yes strangely with 911V, Redline, OPC Leeds, OPC Belfast, and countless deals on cars other than Porsche for the first time it wasn't an issue :roll:

Equally strangely companies like WBAC have even made a business making offers on cars unseen! madness :roll:

Hertsdriver said:

Yes i know..... Thats why my response earlier on the thread highlighted my Experience of trying to Puchase a mid sized SUV for my wife from various different manufacturers...... None of them could be bothered and in the end i took the Finance route just to bring an end to the saga,

I too had emailed them...... Rang them...... sometimes i couldnt even get the receptionist to pick up the phone, getting past the front desk is often a chore.... I'm not imparting my hatred of car dealers firmly at their door, some of the problems were from my own doing, i hadnt realised that the process of buying a car had changed so much in the last few years, there was a time when you could buy a car cash, now the incentives are based around the finance package, gap Insurance, paint protection of all things, all clumped togethr and bobbed onto the finance package, my guess is the salesman / woman used to get paid for selling cars, now they get paid for selling finance, which they dont actually do because they have to hand you over to some one who is actually regulated to do so........ which brings me back the point i was trying to make...... Surely it's only the people who dont know what car they want to talk to some one who can sell them a car, It seems that if you know what you want and have a basic understanding of how the internet functions you can actually buy a car from the other end of the country or even the world without even clapping eyes on it ! and not even having to take to take any drugs,

The problem with working overseas is that your time off is best spent with people who you want to be around Family, Freinds etc, when you get back home and not talking to car salesmen in Cheap Suits and pointy fronted shoes...... The idea that a salesman could possibly do their job and line stuff up for when you get back is basically what they are supposed to do..... It's their job.....

A bit like relying on me to do my job and then when it all goes wrong because i cant be bothered i blame emails and drugs....... and people with too much time on their hands.......Which to be honest is basically where it all does go wrong.....
:?:

Yes car selling in general is very different now.
The internet makes everyone an 'expert', and the car discounters mean there is no longer any profit in new cars unless you are selling something that doesnt require discounting (and there arent many of those around).
There is still plenty of profit in used car sales, possibly even more now that WBAC has helped people understand that they wont get forecourt prices in part ex. Of course WBAC will always kick you in the nuts and hope that they make some profit when the car goes through the block, very few people actually get paid the full quoted amount from WBAC (they will all tell you they do as nobody likes to be shown up, but they knock everyone when the cars actually turn up on site).

I'm glad I'm long out of it and feel sorry for anyone left in. There are some good people left, but most of them (as you have found) are disinterested muppets.

In all seriousness I must be one of the only people who WBAC are targeting Successfully?

For me it is a sure fire way of disposing of a car without having some one chipping away at you on price, ringing you at 8 o'clock on Saturday night asking if they can come thro on Sun morning to then not turn up, once it's gone I've played my part and they've done their job, anything after that I don't know about and have absolutely no interest in how much money they make, it's passed on to a used car dealer after that and then again has to be made money on, good luck to them.......

I'll tell you one thing for sure....... I wished I'd had the inclination to put that lot together on the internet and have people bring their cars to me, I noticed about 6 years ago when I PXed a Discovery the dealer offered me less than WBAC because they had costs incurred getting it to them and that they set the pressident on market valuations.
I drove it there myself and then asked for more money off, I am from Yorkshire......

I read over the weekend that new car sales are down 20% ! Make no bloody wonder with the hoops you have to jump through to get any one interested in selling you one. Buying a car is quite stressful...... or at least I just found it to be, I bought a 997 privately and can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, I changed my Disco 5 for something a few months ago and neither created anywhere near the amount of pallava that this last one brought.....
👹

Your right though, the people left in are not naturally gifted in the art of sales technique, on

Five things I've done recently:
1) bought a brand new car (Golf GTI) through Drive The Deal - no hassle, great price.
2) sold my C63 to WBAC - no hassle, fair price.
3) bought a 911 993 privately - no hassle, lovely seller, sensible price.
4) bought a 911 997 unseen - no hassle, great price, cracking car.
5) sold said 997 privately - lots of questions but charming buyer, no real hassle and a fair price.

It appears my experiences differ from many posters on this thread, but I have found the car market very efficient and painless. Note when I bought new I went straight to an internet broker and would do so again.

Also Mike, also in Hampshire - don't count beans....

I've used Drive the Deal in the past and I also found them very good to deal with.

On the WBAC front - about this time last year we sold Mrs L's BMW via Evans Halshaw rather than WBAC - painless process and got about £1K more from them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back