Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Starting to get very worried about when not if....

I think 5k residual on a hartech rebuild is a little optimistic, maybe 2k at most. 3-4k for an oversized.
Whether you're spending for maintenance or upgrading, you never get your money back.

Borescope images back and very good news, all but number 4 were totally unmarked and like new, number 4 has some marks (the line down the middle is light) which apparently are definitely not bore score and probably caused on the first start up, nothing to worry about anyway. Phew!

Attachments

• 7dc4a7cc_919c_4c5c_bb68_721fa2185789_440.jpeg
    7dc4a7cc_919c_4c5c_bb68_721fa2185789_440.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,385
  • efa79df3_c68c_4d27_b825_d1a3802b19c4_483.jpeg
    efa79df3_c68c_4d27_b825_d1a3802b19c4_483.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,385
Grey996 said:
Borescope images back and very good news, all but number 4 were totally unmarked and like new, number 4 has some marks (the line down the middle is light) which apparently are definitely not bore score and probably caused on the first start up, nothing to worry about anyway. Phew!

good news mate , just normal scuffing all engines get that. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:

Thanks, glad to hear it.

I've sent my oil sample off today so hopefully my luck will hold!

Grey996 said:
Phil 997 said:

Thanks, glad to hear it.

are you planning on changing the oil to millers 10w50 or 5w40 or a thicker viscosity of some other brand . and more regular oil changes , these things are recommended to reduce future risks . :thumb:

jond58 said:
Everything with wheels costs money! I have a Vito v6 for my work. I barely do 25mpg and I've just ordered a prop for it at £1k !?! It's only money, you can't take it with you. No pockets in shrouds and all that!

Just sold mine. Great van :thumb: But yeah, a bit thirsty. Got the 119 CDI now. It seems to run for free by comparison :lol:

Phil 997 said:
Grey996 said:
Phil 997 said:

Thanks, glad to hear it.

are you planning on changing the oil to millers 10w50 or 5w40 or a thicker viscosity of some other brand . and more regular oil changes , these things are recommended to reduce future risks . :thumb:

Mine gets changed every year which for me is only just over 3k miles. The garage used Mobil Super 3000 X1 5w40 but i'll have a look next year when i do it.

Engines are mechanical and fail, you can of course look after the engines with preventive maintenance but they wont last forever. Everyone wants low bills but its a lottery and I speak as someone that has had an engine rebuild.
Buy a car you want and look after it as best you can but it still might cost you £££'s
Cars cost
:sad:

Got a green tick from Millers and the waste metal levels are 'satisfactory' but I was wondering if any experts could shed anymore light on the results with specific reference to our cars?

Attachments

• d1c71f52_8851_4982_b938_d990b71d6f74_639.jpeg
    d1c71f52_8851_4982_b938_d990b71d6f74_639.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 965
Thanks, yes Millers provided a similar sheet listing the types of metals found, I was interested in whether the amounts found where indicators of anything?

The analysis is of more benefit when you have baseline values and can see a trend over time.

...oil analysis is a waste of money unless you do it every few miles as analysis can show nothing of note one reading to my crankshaft is fooked the next as the bearing shells wear through to the copper !

I recall it saved poppopbangbang some trouble when analysis picked up an issue (though not a bearing) before it got worse.

Robertb said:
The analysis is of more benefit when you have baseline values and can see a trend over time.

Thanks that makes sense but does anyone have any ballpark values of a 'healthy' engine?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back