Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Ignition lock issue

toddy2

Hi All,
Thankfully it's been a few months since I've had any issues with the 996.
But recently, I have been experiencing issues with a stiff ignition lock and no lights, wipers not working. I've put this down to the key once turned not turning back, and when turning off and removing the key on occasions the power remains live, i.e radio stays on.

I've done a quick search and came across a cheap fix switch on a previous thread. I'd rather replace the ignition switch complete, does anyone know if there is an upgrade one or whether the 997 one is a better option??

Thanks in advance for any responses.

The 997 has a totally different lock so don't buy that one :)

Cheap fix is the electrical connector .

The entire unit comes with out the barrel which in very .. er .. Very rare cases can cause a similar issue .. anyways .. just swop it over to the new lock ass .

I think you can only order the lock ass from Porsche though .

Thanks deMort, the part number you suggest is more appropriate 👍

You definitely want to fit the year appropriate switch - when I bought my car it had had a later version switch fitted, perhaps thinking it was an "upgrade" it always felt horrible turning the key and eventually it failed (largely as it chewed itself to pieces) and I discovered the mismatch - safe to say the car is far happier and the ignition action fare nicer for having the right part in it(!)

Thanks both, swapped it for the correct year part.
Good to know the later one doesn't work as an upgrade 👍

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back