Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

When is my next service due?

allenh

Hi there,

997 C2 here. Service book is a bit cryptic in the way it explains service intervals.

It says minor service at 30k, 90k miles
and major service at 60k, 120k miles

So in theory 4 services from new to 120k miles.

Then there is a time interval override
2, 6 and 10 years (I assume from new?) for minor
and for major
4, 8 and 12 years

So if I have got the following 2 most recent stamps:

- Major service 5 November 2014 21,000 miles
- Minor service 8 February 2019 38,000 miles

Current mileage is 45,000

Then when is my next service and what is it? Car is registered Nov 2006.

I'm trying to avoid the conclusion that it must be a major service and it must be now.

Allen

Its difficult to know what was included when you say "major" & "minor" but as you haven't mentioned the 12yr MAJOR being done in 2017/2018/2019 its safe to say that is what should ideally done .
Virtually returns the service schedule back to the start of its cycle from where you can effectively start again knowing the slate is clean so to speak .
Around £1200 at OPC / £850/£900 recognised Porsche indy just be sure it covers everything it should like filters , diff oil , gearbox oil , plugs, polybelt etc :thumb:

As above, I'm sorry to say that it looks like it needs the 12 year service, a major + other things next.

If it hasn't had a major done since 2014 and you're planning to put miles on it I'd treat it to that service asap.

allenh said:
Hi there,

997 C2 here. Service book is a bit cryptic in the way it explains service intervals.

It says minor service at 30k, 90k miles
and major service at 60k, 120k miles

So in theory 4 services from new to 120k miles.

Then there is a time interval override
2, 6 and 10 years (I assume from new?) for minor
and for major
4, 8 and 12 years

So if I have got the following 2 most recent stamps:

- Major service 5 November 2014 21,000 miles
- Minor service 8 February 2019 38,000 miles

Current mileage is 45,000

Then when is my next service and what is it? Car is registered Nov 2006.

I'm trying to avoid the conclusion that it must be a major service and it must be now.

Allen

Its every 2 year OR 20,000 miles which every come soonest.

so for your 2006 car which is clearly under the mileage I would expect to see at least 6 services over the time to give a 'full history':
Minor service 2008
Major service 2010
Minor service 2012
Major service 2014
Minor service 2016
Major service 2018
So due a Minor service in Nov 2020.

Looks like a previous owner has missed the schedule with a big old gap between 2014 and 2019 :dont know:

Personally Ill be performing oil changes every year in between the schedule for my own piece of mind. :thumb:

:p let the expletives go , we've all been there

When i started my hunt for a 997.1 all my target cars were at the 12yr or already past marker , obviously service history is a major factor hunting down the right car , nearly always these cars are described as having a FSH which yes i suppose they had but whenever i received the breakdown of how the history was formed every car was out of sync with what should have been done & when .
Furthermore i found regardless of mileage or number of owners only the car i bought had the 12yr service stamped & fully documented ( OPC it has a major checklist where green ticks or red crosses tell all )
It wasn't the primary reason i bought the car but did tell me a lot about the guy i was buying it off & how the car had been treat in his 4 yrs ownership .
Bite the bullet , get the 12yr MAJOR done then crack on safe in the knowledge that from a service perspective you can do no more , after that revert to following the schedule as laid out in service book with a interim yearly oil change too ( make a note but no need to stamp book )
Costwise i think for what gets done the £750/£1k figure isn't that high , its on a par with BMW ///M service costs & they are more frequent than 12yrs :

deMort said:
At 12 years you have gearbox and front wheel drive oil change needed if fitted .

Are you meaning those items are done additionally to others like oil , filters , plugs etc ?

I'm away from home so can't photograph my service book where it shows what is covered at each 6/8/12yr point but checking online at OPC service options its the same as my book & the 12 yr or 120k service lists far more than that as requirements

Suppose its down to how you interpret the schedule :dont know:

Attachments

• screenshot_20191105_091255_01_384.jpeg
    screenshot_20191105_091255_01_384.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 1,307
A quote for a service is just the basic service .. Porsche list additional items separately .. and charge separately for these to be done as do we.

Ie brake fluid is changed every 2 years .. that's a seperate charge .. plugs again at 4 years and a seperate charge .

At 12 years old your gearbox oil is due to be changed and 4wd if fitted then the oil needs to be changed... again a seperate charge .

Technically you are also due a drive belt change , it should have been done at 6 years ... if so its due again now .

As with any of these items its time OR milage .

Indy or OPC work the same way here FYI .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back