Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alternator???

Maxthedane

Monza
You guys have been very helpful with previous posts... I wonder if you can advise me again!! Guess I'm beginning to learn about Porsche ownership!

So, I was out this evening about 10 miles from home. Started the car )996.2 C4 convertible ) and got a red battery warning light. As the car was running I decided to head home. As we drove I noticed the battery voltage indicator dropping (eventually below 10), then as I approached home a whole array of warnings flashed up - roof, PSM, ABS... I lost count!

Pulled onto the drive, switched off & the car won't start. All sorts of lights flashing - windows tried to go up and down.

Am I correct in guessing it could be the alternator? If so, how big a job are we talking about? Not sure what will be covered on warranty (Portiacraft have previously been excellent). I need to think about how to get it to a workshop - 1st port of call will be the breakdown people.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Paul

Sounds like the alternator to me ..

You would have been driving it with headlights on i'm guessing so a pretty full load on the alternator .. when they get old then under a load they can fail .. no load and you'll get a just about acceptable charge rate .

Anyways light on means no charging so the car is running on battery only .. it has got too low hence the other warnings lights .

Alternator failure IMHO should be covered by warranty .

Approx 1 - 1.5 hours chargeable rate to have it replaced.

Thanks again Iain for your help.

You're correct - headlights on. Ironically I'd just polished them and fitted new bulbs. Previously it felt like I was driving with a couple of candles. What started as brighter lights were worse than candles when I got home!

lol .. i can well imagine .

lets just say you won't be the last person to post of alternator faults .. we are now driving in the dark and so a struggling alternator that was just about doing its job will be pushed over the edge due to its now under more of a load with headlights on .

Battery will need a trickle charge to get it back up so that you can drive it to a garage to repair... full charge basically and when you drive it .. no lights .. no radio .. no fan etc .. you'll get 20 miles plus this way.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back