Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is my car rev limited?

Rik b

I put this in the wrong forum earlier, sorry. Let's try again

Does my 02 996 have a rev limiter or does it need a garage?

There's not an amazing amount of torque at low revs. Then at 4-6k in 4th and 5th you are flying. If I hit 7k (the red line) she holds up. Any ideas, other than I probably shouldn't spank it like that😂😂😂

Any advice is gratefully received.

Yes there is a limit at 7200 I think give or take a few rpm
These cars do feel like they will rev on way past that limit and you could possibly remap it to remove the limit

Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but keep the max revs below 3000 until it's properly warmed up.

Hi winny thanks for that I'll have a look around and see what I can find.

Hi Robert yes I always let it warm up.

Cheers

There is a rev limiter and I don't understand why someone would have the car re-mapped to remove it! Porsche put the limiter there for a reason.

Different types of engine provide their strongest power at different areas in the rev range. An average Eurobox may tend to run out of breath as it approaches the higher end of it`s rev range and thus encouraging the driver to select the next gear up.

A sports car engine tends to generate most of it`s power higher up in the rev range and as such tends to pull strongly until it eventually self destructs. The more time an engine spends at, near or beyond maximum ADVISED revs the shorter it`s life span is likely to be.

I suspect manufacturers of sports cars try to protect those used to Eurobox driving and save them from blowing apart their sports cars engines by fitting rev limiters, and for the more educated sports car driver they install a rev counter to help him/her avoid damaging the engine. I guess the manufacturers advised maximum revs are set below where the rev limiter is set to cut the engine to allow for a bit of leeway before the engine/drive train is subjected to the shocks created by bouncing off the rev limiter...as opposed to selecting the next gear..?

You may have read elsewhere on this forum of PPI checks that buyers like to have carried out to gain an idea of what they might be buying into. An important part of PPI is to note usage of the upper end of the rev range records held by the ECU, thus if you tend to drive your engine into the higher rev ranges on a regular basis risking or indulging in over revs, then you will create a record of that style of driving which may affect the value of your Porsche..?

Seems to me that your driving style is likely to be rather expensive in terms of engine replacement expectations and with that the possibility that you may have knocked a few bob of your car`s marketable value...?

Just thinking in type claiming zero expertise... :?:

Hi P0tentail
It's really straight forward, I want the car to go faster..... 8)

Have you ever pushed your car only to find out its limit is less than yours. I'm a little gutted, that's all. This is the reason I bought another 911. I don't remember my old C2 cab pulling up at high revs.

Hi Luddite
Thanks for your explanation. I didn't know what the PPI did, that's amazing!
The reason for my initial question was my old C2 didn't struggle where my new one does. I do drive aggressively but all my cars and have more powerful and more expensive cars than my 996 all get very well looked after. I haven't killed a car sines the 90s😂

Rik, I am no expert, and the newest 911 I have driven was a 993 and only for a day... Also when replying to a question there is no way of really knowing the extent of the knowledge of the person asking the question, so loads of room for misunderstanding. I suspect you might benefit from doing a search relative to over rev readings during PPI to better understand how that may affect you in time..?

That you are experiencing a measure of disappointment relative to power output one Porsche compared to another, it may be that you have an issue... So many cars are "tuned" and in a variety of ways that may not be obvious which can add to possible confusion.... Perhaps a visit to a rolling road to check if power output matches expectations of your car against manufacturers published figures ..?

You should be able to rev to a bit past 7 and it's part of the fun of the flat 6 as far as I'm concerned. Maybe your car has some other problem, like fuelling, exhaust or ignition that holds it back.

I wouldn't worry about overrevs on a 996 as you'd only ever see range 1 unless you do the 'money shift' by dropping a manual into too low a gear and produce a mechanical overrev.

Obviously there is a power difference between 3.4 and 3.6 engines ..

rev limiter is there for a reason .. it stops the car over revving and destroying the engine !

lack of low down power which i assume this is about .. a remap as i understand it would help but has anyone actually looked to see if there is a running fault on your car ?

A lot of fault codes and indeed faults don't trigger an eml and a look at codes and actual values might well be of use .

Hi demort
Ive just booked it in for a health check. Ill let you all know if there is an issue.
I spoke DMS and they said if its ok they'll put it on a RR and see if they can change where the power comes in with another remap?

Any thoughts?

Hi Grifter
Yes my old cab was a 3.4?

Start with a fault code check and a look at actual values to say everything is ok before a Rolling Road test ..

Let's just say i know of a garage that did this without checking first .. the car had a sensor fault and was in limp home mode .. they thrashed it on a rolling road test without checking first .. no ***** .. it didn't get full power !!!

Probably best if i don't continue as im already getting annoyed just thinking about that episode .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back