Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Targa Roof Drains

AndyH

New to 996 ownership having picked up a 52 plate Targa last week and loving it so far. How do I access the rear drains on the targa roof channels? I have done a search for this and found out where they are but it didnt say how to get to them and I want to make it part of my regular checks to avoid water ingress problems. I assume the front drains are accessed by rolling the roof back?
Thanks
Andy

Thanks deMort. This is the thread I found from a search but I couldnt figure out how to get to the drains. Do I need to pull back the fabric curtain to expose the channel and drain tube plate as shown in pic 11?

Its not easy to actually get at them ..

the cover at the rear under the rear tailgate which hides the motors needs to be removed .. fingers under the bottom of it and pull towards you .. it should be in the owners hand book under emergency roof tools .

Cover off and you can just about get to the drains on the o/s/r .. ALWAYS pull these pipes off by the top part of the rubber and not the actual pipe .. it will split other wise .

N/s/r is the problem one .. you can't get at the drains .. so ...

Hatch open , unscrew the rubber bungs each side .. unscrew the x4 phillips screws holding the plastic panel and slide it out ..

Then you have to pull back the rear carpet sections .. basically you are trying to get it to look like the image below but with the side quarter panel still fitted .

the other way would be to remove the B pillar trim then the quarter panel .

In short you will see what access you have when you pull out the panel under the hatch .

You have no access to these with the side fabric moved to the rear position .. it also does not pull out so don't try that :)

Attachments

• targa_2_115_138.jpg
    targa_2_115_138.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 2,972
Ah right thats why I couldnt figure it out lol! Thanks for the explanation, I will strip it down and see what is what. There is no condensation at the minute so I presume the car is dry I just want to keep on top of it and avoid any future problems

So the plate in Pic 11 with all the gunk in it, is it more of a strip down to expose that and clear out the problem area or can you get to that as described in your post above?

You can remove it in situ .. again not easy , it's also siliconed in place so when refitting it will need to be cleaned of the old silicone and redone ...

Its screwed to another part that will move if not careful .. also both parts locate the drive cable end so it has to be refitted correctly .. i'll see if i have pictures of it if you wish .. let me know.

To be fair .. this is the best way to clear out the drains but you will need a short T20 and an 8mm socket and its tight in that small area .. i would have to say .. its best to remove the quarter panel if doing this so you car looks like the image .

Again if you wish i can do a full write up of what to do.. obviously that will take time so i'll do it if you are happy to take on this job :)

BTW right click on the image and select larger view or open in a new tab .. far bigger picture that way .

A write up would be great if you dont mind taking the time to do it. I would rather keep on top of things properly to look after the car and I am mechanically minded so dont mind getting stuck in. Thanks for your help

As you wish .. i'll do a write up of the way i would prefer it to be done as you are hands on :D

Won't be finished till tomorrow night though so don't wait up lol .

I'll post it here and update my Roof thread i feel .

Thats great thanks mate. No rush with it as I said there is no condensation so just precautionary to keep on top of it and make sure I dont get any water coming in from a know problem area

Items to remove to properly clear out the rear drain tubes on Targas.....

Rear hatch panel .. fingers underneath it and pull towards you , x4 spring clips locate it. It slots in under the top panel.

B pillar panel .. remove belt height adjuster , lever it at the base , small screwdriver to push in from the top on the claws each side , it will probably fall apart but i have a video of how to put it back together .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwakFlGvgMs

No sound as it didn't work but you get the idea .

Seat belt bolt , top plastic trim on coat hook , its pulled downwards and levered out .. screw behind this.

Pull B pillar trim downwards and out at the top .. it will drag on the leather there so be aware.

Rear quarter panel ..

Screw by the B pillar , remove the speaker , remove the rear light housing , cover on this pull out at the front part of the car , dont pull on the rear spikes of this ... screw upwards under this and one at the back .

Slide it along the seat belt and put under the rear seat.

Remove the seat back pin , 6mm allen key.

panel pulls outwards at the top and x1 clip lower down near the front seat belt .. be gentle with this one .. same clips as the rear , see image .. then lift up at the B pillar area .. once off you can see the fixings there .. a hole in the carpet locates it .

remove the rear carpet and top cover the wiper motor goes through .. x4 screws , x2 rubber bungs which twist out then slide it towards you.

remove the bracket each side.

The drain .. x2 torx screws and x2 8mm nuts .. drain is siliconed in place .. its a case of gently levering it down .., blow through the tubes.. clean and refit everything .. simples.

Images are for reference and in no set order ..

Open each one as a separate image / tab to get a large view .

Attachments

• p2200003_988.jpg
    p2200003_988.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 2,857
  • p5150017_985.jpg
    p5150017_985.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 2,857
  • pb040061_162.jpg
    pb040061_162.jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 2,857
  • what_it_looks_like_out_ot_the_car_957.jpg
    what_it_looks_like_out_ot_the_car_957.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 2,859
  • p6280033_994.jpg
    p6280033_994.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 2,856
  • p5010019_141.jpg
    p5010019_141.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 2,857
Thats awesome thanks deMort. I will tackle it when we get a dry weekend.

Sorry to revive an old thread. Car has been dry since I followed DeMort's advice to clear the rear drains but was dripping in quite badly onto the nearside rear seat last week. I have had the roof open quite a lot lately with the nice weather and I think dust got in cos the nearside rear drain tube was completely blocked. Cleared all the drains again but noticed the short drain tubes in the middle of the roof channels that are attached to the seal have ripped off on both sides. The tubes were still in the guides but not cable tied into position which may not have helped. Is this bad news for leaks and is there a fix other than roof out to replace the full seal?

This is what I have left of the drain tubes

Attachments

• 20200605_171606_182.jpg
    20200605_171606_182.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,125
  • 20200605_171359_135.jpg
    20200605_171359_135.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,124
You need to remove the glass section/frame and replace the seal im afraid ..

These tubes are a common failure and as you have found out water will drip onto the seat base when the car is at an angle .

Takes 3-4 hours labor plus a new seal but its not a job for the faint hearted .. difficult to remove the frame as its larger than the hole .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back