Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PPI ECU results need interpreting help

mavster

Montreal
I am looking at a manual 996 turbo which was PPI'd last year. The ECU results have me a bit worried.

1. As the cam deviations for bank 1 & 2 are quite far apart. At -1.94 and -5.03 respectively.
2. Ignition range 1 has hit the max stored by the ecu at 65535

The car has 100k plus miles, and the ppi was done 10k miles ago. There are no leaks and engine seems to start from cold fine, and idled smoothly, and pulls well when warm.

Should I avoid due to the above points ?

Thank you.

max in range 1 .. it's been driven hard but if no range 2 it's not been .. over driven shall we say .

Porsche flag range 2 as more the issue .

PPI was done 10K ago .. if there was an issue then it would have developed further by now and would be obvious i feel.

Cam deviations .. I'm afraid i have no real knowledge of a Turbo .. non turbo and i would say it's a little high on B2 but within limits .. you will get an eml if too far out ... from the ones i've seen it seems to be about 11 degrees out but that's not Turbos which obviously are a different engine .

More a question for Hartech perhaps as i can only speculate i'm afraid .

Gut feeling .. maybe keep on looking .

It's Rev range 2 was also reached, however the number was around 520 only.

The variance in cam deviations points to a possible stretched chain issue if taken with the high revving life of this car. It's been tracked a few times. Perhaps a ticking time bomb that might require an engine rebuild,... I think I will pass on this one.

Thanks for your help.

Provided any range two is not with the last couple hundred of hours then no issue - nearly all turbos I see have maxed out in range ones.

CD is perfectly normal - even Porsche new cars can have deviation of 5d - the marks to time are not a perfect way of getting deviation spot on - we use a tool we made ourselves which gets less than 0.5 on each bank when building these and we don't use the timing marks.

Forget the stretched chain rubbish - it is just that.

As long as the cams clock forward 30d then everything is good.

You would need another PPI - 10k mileage is too much to ignore.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I spoke with 911virgin and also your garage yesterday to form my view above. I will keep looking.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back