Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Badly pitted windscreen

Ishay

Spa-Francorchamps
I've no idea how long my windscreen as been in but the low sun at this time of year is reminding me how terribly pitted and scratched the screen is. It's like it's been lightly sandblasted with the wipers on scratching some of the sand into lines.

I've never had this on any other car. I can't quite bring myself to replace it for this alone but the temptation is there. I've also heard it's a two man job and auto windscreens, and the like, can be a bit inexperienced at doing them.

Anybody else been in the same boat?

Call your Insurance and explain you can't see through it. They'll most likely have a new one fit for you and you just pay the £60 or whatever it is. They did infrasilver's for the same reason.

Re: Badly pitted widescreen

Ishay said:
I've no idea how long my windscreen as been in but the low sun at this time of year is reminding me how terribly pitted and scratched the screen is. It's like it's been lightly sandblasted with the wipers on scratching some of the sand into lines.

I've never had this on any other car. I can't quite bring myself to replace it for this alone but the temptation is there. I've also heard it's a two man job and auto windscreens, and the like, can be a bit inexperienced at doing them.

Anybody else been in the same boat?

I was in this exact position 6 months ago, i called the Insurance and explained that the light refracting off the small chips was blinding me and it was dangerous and they agreed to have it replaced. I wanted an OEM one and fitted by Porsche which they approved. I took it to Porsche, sent the Insurance co the invoice and they refunded me within a few days.

I think I'll be doing something similar soon as after my recent detail + new splitter it really shows the front end of the car up. :nooo:

Mine has marks from the wipers too. I had assumed it was caused by previous owner not cleaning/changing the wiper blades when needed.

:dont know:

My 19 year old windscreen is mullered. Think I'll make the call myself and see what they say.

Hmmm, I must have been with the wrong Insurance company then :nooo:

About 4 years ago I had an Insurance renewal quote via email for my daily driver, a few days later I had a smashed rear window as some nice youngster smashed it with a BB gun. I rang the insurers and they said yes, covered with standard £40 contribution from myself and no affect on my Insurance renewal quote.
Had it sorted at Autoglass, paid the £40.
Then recieved a new Insurance renewal quote with an increase of £100 for the next year, overriding the quote I had recieved a few days before :hand:

That was Direct Line, have since moved to Swiftover with Multicar policy, but now they are taking the proverbial with annual increases :sad: so need to move again :pc:

The moral of the story is, make sure it will not affect your NCB or renewal premium and GET IT IN WRITING FIRST, then you have something to argue with !

When I first got my car the windscreen was scratched due to the wipers. I used a glass polish kit and replolished the whole screen. It was a bit duanting at first because you have to sand all the scratches out before polishing back, so the screen goes opaque.

It polished up great though. Super clear. this process won't really cure stone chips though.

[/url]https://glasspolishshop.com/index.php?_route_=glass-restoration-kits/diy-glass-repair/diy_automotive_glass_scratch_removal_kit_xnet_system Craig

Great tip Craig :cheers: cheers.

Pretty nervous about doing it though.

T8 said:
I think I'll be doing something similar soon as after my recent detail + new splitter it really shows the front end of the car up. :nooo:

I finally got around to doing it this week.

I explained that I had quite a few small chips peppered across the screen and they agreed to replace it without any quibble. Today I took it to a 'National Windscreens' depot and £75 later had a pristine Saint Gobain screen in place.

This is something I need to sort as well, mine is badly scratched where the wipers have been, but also mine has a small crack in the top passenger side as well, so the Insurance company shouldn't be able to dispute that.

Just remember that this goes down as a claim on your Insurance record. I found that out when I renewed this year after replacing glass on a car. I'm with Admiral

Mine was replaced for a tiny chip in the wiper area that had been previously repaired and as such couldn't be improved, however the rest of the screen was also quite badly peppered.

My Insurance premium actually went down the following year, I'm with Tesco!

img_4874.jpg

I've never had my Insurance go up because of a glass claim, maybe it just went up, unless they actually stated you had made a claim or maybe that is just Admirals policy.

I made a claim last year when my drivers door glass exploded while on the M1 and I also got a stone hit the screen, they paid out for a screen and door glass and I only needed to put a single glass claim in costing the £75 and it didn't affect my renewal.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back