Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT4 Prices - where they going

S A Watt

Monza
I know no one owns a crystal ball but what's the current thoughts on the 981 gt4 values now we have the 718 GT4.

I run the 981 Cayman GTS and love the car. It's a late 2016 one.

But I still have a thought for the 981 GT4 but they are still commanding big money.

What's the thoughts going forward.

I keep looking at GT4's, I see them £70k for a sub 10k mile car with good spec in a year.
Prices will hold, as the new GT4 will draw interest and when people find out they can't buy a new one and don't want to pay £10k+ over list will go back in search of the 981.

I could be wrong of course....

I think the new car will be more in demand as it has the 4.0 engine. However they are so few in numbers they will not just suddenyl drop in value. However I have seen a steady decrease in value since their release. They were going for over £100k initially. I know see them at around £70-80k.

I have had an urge for a Spyder and tried to put a deposit on one fo the new cars when they were announced but Wilmslow Porsche sales team were so bad at actually contacting me I didn't in the end.

As you'll be all too awareOP, the ethos behind the GT4 is somewhat different to that of your GTS, but when you consider what this example could be bought for :

https://ycsc.co.uk/2016-porsche-cayman-gt4/

Sure, it's got a few more miles on than some would want, but it is a Clubsport spec car and has PCCB's.

If this car is a genuine/no stories example, it's lot of go for the dough. IMO they're starting to look sensibly priced now, especially when compared with the asking prices for a nicely specced manual 981 GTS.

Having bought one after the 718 GT4 was announced with the flat 6 :roll: I'm happy with the choice.

They are and will always be seen as good value now that the prices have come down to what they cost at list where they seem to be holding steady. There's no shortage of OPCs selling good 981GT4 - when I was looking there were 8 on the locator and only one left when I bought mine. Most prices are hovering around £75k which is where they were 6 months back.

The car linked above does look good value but my only concern would be how much track time has it had given it's a CS with PCCB etc. Usual checks would be essential. I asked someone to look at a 20k+ car which had a lot (denied) track use and it was a turd.

Suggestion the 718 will not be limited but getting an allocation unless you are an established buyer (or tried the brown envelop routine) you will not get one. Also to Spec one up you're balls deep into £90k and then the re-sale premium for the first few years will push the price over £100k. So that's £30k+ over a 981 where they stand now. And the 'informed' opinion suggests they are not that much more than the 981 and not worth going balls deep putting in 30 bags extra for what you get. 718GT4RS will be the one people want and also wait to see when PDK is offered.

981 3.8 engine is well established and bulletproof. The 718 4.0 is an 'all new' engine for the GT4 which to my mind is untested. Remember the dabacle with the 991.1 GT3 engine and the 10yr warranty they've had to put on it.

Some 981GT4 for sale look attractive - depened what you want - Clubsport, comfort seats, buckets etc. Lack of Nav seems to affect values but given the limited use most of these cars get and the PCM3.1 one up from an Abacus I wouold have rather saved a few quid and bought without :roll: Some buyers crave over the leather dash :?

I do know someone who is selling a 718GT4 allocation slot for a 'modest' premium if that floats your boat. Would I personally pay overs? Nope

Thanks for all the good replies guys.

There are a few nice 981 gt4 on the go at the moment and are tempting.

I am seeing nice ones in the spect I want for around £75k on a 2016 car.

The thing is you buy a car cos you like it and we have to remember that. But equally I don't want to buy it and lose a ton of cash if I sold it again in a couple of years.

Sound like the 981 will still be a fairly safe bet!!

If you want a GT car and not take a bath in the long term a 997 GT3 CS is a better bet :thumb:

kas750 said:
If you want a GT car and not take a bath in the long term a 997 GT3 CS is a better bet :thumb:

They may be but I was talking to a chap who bought a 991.1 GT3RS at the top of the market and lost £50k when he sold it after 18 months. Clearly a case in point for not buying when they're way above list secondhand

Zingari said:
kas750 said:

They may be but I was talking to a chap who bought a 991.1 GT3RS at the top of the market and lost £50k when he sold it after 18 months. Clearly a case in point for not buying when they're way above list secondhand

Exactly, though it isn't just that - they made quite a lot more of the 991 RS that any previous GT3 except the regular 991 GT3. Now that it is no longer the newest toy in town there seems to be plenty of cars to meet the market demand and the huge initial overs have deflated accordingly. 997 Clubsports are not only cheaper, but significantly less common and the market for them is now maturely stable. They won't go to the moon but they are unlikely ever to lose much either as a result.

I know 2 people who have deposits down on the new GT 4 and one of them hasn't bought a new Porsche in 20 years. He's also waiting for the PDK to become available which it will be next year apparently.

The white one above does look very nice but remember it's being sold in Yorkshire, the Axis of Evil for second hand Porsche :hand:
First thing to do would be to get an over rev check, there was an Asian gentleman who I saw at a lot of track days and he was in a White GT 4. That car was thrashed mercilessly, might have a pic of it somewhere.

I have a deposit on a 718 GT4

I personally do not think they will cause the values of the 981 to drop anymore than they would if it, 718 GT4 , did not exist.

Supply of the 718 is limited, I have seen the build slots for the UK cars up until the end of 2020, the largest OPC's are seeing circa 13 cars, making the current estimated total number no more than the 981.

Those that want a GT4 and unable to get an allocation, there are many, will then be faced with paying overs, there are currently some Spyders advertised for 125k Euros, or buy a 981.

The white car looks great value, almost to good based on the spec.

I pretty much agree with all that Brian says above. I bought mine just under two years ago. It was just under the OPC average of £81K at that time. I would have been pretty miffed if I'd waited until to now to buy a GT4 for £5K or £6K less and now have one that is 2 years older, has more miles and have missed out on two years of driving it!

Prices have been very solid so if you want one there's really no point waiting because they're not going to drop like a stone and will only get older the more you wait. Enjoy one now while you can!

picture host

I bought this 2016 Carmine red gt4 recently and it's a revelation- the handling has blown me away

Prices still holding quite well and I think they will for 2-3yrs until the allocation for 718 has run its course. They're making a lot of them and yes I believe it's possible to order one without Porsche buying history. That said you'll be balls deep at £90k+ with extras.

They didn't make a lot of the 981 variant as they were testing the market which proved there is one.

I do believe the 718GT4 CS still uses the 3.8 981GT4 engine which says something to me.

I hope the white Yorkshire car mentioned above is not mine :? That said I've only got a few over-revs in Range 1 :oops:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back