Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My Search Begins

MattyR said:
jono2200 said:
jkhamler said:
Hi Jono, I'm in the same position as you so I will watch this thread eagerly. I'd love a Gen 2 but 30k is out of budget for me. I really like the look of the early 997.1 3.6 models, especially riding on the smaller less flashy wheels with the original exhaust (not the quad pipe). I'm just terrified at the prospect of an engine failure, but perhaps this issue is over hyped...

Hi, so a bit of an update,,, but first i will say when i originally wrote this post i didnt actually submit the thread (by mistake) so it was probably close to a week before i re logged on, and up popped my draft post,,, so i just then hit submit,,, and then shortly after i found the car i was happy with, it was the third one i viewed,, a midnight blue, 3.6 carerra 2, manual, and 53k ish miles. so fitted my original criteria...not a great deal of options from factory, but i didnt see that as a issue, and i was happy with the condition and history, i was happy with the chats with the seller, and also the previous owner to him who i spoke with,,, im a bit of a believer that as much as buying the car you are also buying into the seller, may be a load of rubbish, but thats my view, and so far has served me well. only thing to mention was a slight discrepency with the miles from one MOT to another,,, after looking into this and working out timelines, it was 34 days after receiving a service at a main dealer then it went for a mot, i think the tester inputted a 9 instead of a 7, and although i was happy with it being a rogue key strike on the keyboard by the mot tester, ever so slightly took the shine off, however proved to be a good bargaining tool and the deal was made....

It looks lovely, congratz! Best colour. Also real easy to block off the plenum for some extra zing from the air box :thumb: Which you sadly can't do on a gen 2 :sad:

I had this done on my 996 c4. Is this just a kind of aluminium bung fitted in the air box you are referring to.

Congrats on the car.

i too sold my 987 Boxster to get into a 997 C2 ..(i went to look at a car with no intention of buying..fatal..and the rest is history !!).

I took a punt with no Bore Score check...but about 50 + Receipts from every services. oil change and nut and bolt..

Car is fantastic..i've spent approx. £2,500 since i brought it in March including a complete front end respray last week ..due to stone chipping......

Interestingly....i took it to Cath Burrows for some minor work and they checked it for bore scoring t and for a car with 100 K miles on it has "Surprisingly very little to no scoring"....so i tend to ignore the naysayers....you could keep yourself up at night if you read and believe all of the articles.

Can we get some pics...and happy motoring

Here is a pic... For info I've just completed a 280 mile trip from North East to Aberdeen. Absolutly faultless. Love this car...
villaman said:
Congrats on the car.

i too sold my 987 Boxster to get into a 997 C2 ..(i went to look at a car with no intention of buying..fatal..and the rest is history !!).

I took a punt with no Bore Score check...but about 50 + Receipts from every services. oil change and nut and bolt..

Car is fantastic..i've spent approx. £2,500 since i brought it in March including a complete front end respray last week ..due to stone chipping......

Interestingly....i took it to Cath Burrows for some minor work and they checked it for bore scoring t and for a car with 100 K miles on it has "Surprisingly very little to no scoring"....so i tend to ignore the naysayers....you could keep yourself up at night if you read and believe all of the articles.

Can we get some pics...and happy motoring

Attachments

• fb_img_1571988723003_153.jpg
    fb_img_1571988723003_153.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 2,130
Wow, looks stunning. How do you find it compared to the 996? I test drove a red 3.6 down in Barry Island from a garage there. It felt way tighter than the 996 with a smoother clutch pick up. I loved it but for some reason they didn't return my calls when I asked for it's history, I walked away. Only had 32,000 on the clock and was up for 25K.
When funds allow, I'm very keen on a 997 3.6.

Rich.

I liked the 996 a lot. It was a gen 1 with a tip box, but this is a nicer place to be. That was low miles and mint condition but the interior on this is a definately a slight step up. Performance wise I imagine will be similar but being the manual it does feels quicker, and the gear change on mine is very good. 1 other I test drive it was very clunky, so I think overall I have got a good one.
Stoddy said:
Wow, looks stunning. How do you find it compared to the 996? I test drove a red 3.6 down in Barry Island from a garage there. It felt way tighter than the 996 with a smoother clutch pick up. I loved it but for some reason they didn't return my calls when I asked for it's history, I walked away. Only had 32,000 on the clock and was up for 25K.
When funds allow, I'm very keen on a 997 3.6.

Rich.
:sad:

Wow.. that looks in fabulous condition and love the colour .

Glad you are enjoying the car ....they are made to be driven

One from the other side..... Yes its very very clean.. Loving it.
villaman said:
Wow.. that looks in fabulous condition and love the colour .

Glad you are enjoying the car ....they are made to be driven

Attachments

• fb_img_1572431054954_104.jpg
    fb_img_1572431054954_104.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 636

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back