Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help please - power steering pressure pipes Needed.

JM30

Hello all, as title I'm in the Costly process of having a reconditioned steering rack fitted due to wear and play within (excuse my non technical explanations!!)

As with anything on these blooming cars nothing likes to come apart nicely so having to get new lines ones a pressure line and the return line

Porsche part number - 99634745204
And
Porsche part number - 99634745012

Both very costly and I'm quite shocked to say the least, after chatting to Iain via PM he mentioned a few have had companies make them up at a much reduced price can anyone pleased forward me the details 🙏🏼

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers

NXI20 - Many thanks for that, have you used them before? I shall give them a shout now, :thumb:

Robertb- I'm hoping they should come with the reconditioned rack but I may need a set of them, the ones in question are different and run to the rear of the car nearly £1000 from Porsche :sad:

I'm sure i read somewhere that someone used the shorter and cheaper 997 front hoses and had them connected to the long hoses that go to the rear of the 996.

Thanks Steve, that's interesting, I did send my guy a diagram that happen to be of a 997 but he said he isn't sure and has only ever changed the complete line, I'm frustrated at this not only due to the expense but why an aftermarket option isn't available by now!, Is it common to change these pipes?, he said it's 9/10 fused and will either damage the rack or pipe removing them 😖

He is removing them for me to drive to my local pirtek In Ashford to see what they can do but in the meantime please do forward any information guys/gals as I'm not confident they can help, neither is Steve@goss hall classics that is dealing with this for me but that's mainly because he has never heard of another way or place doing this.

Iv got it in my mind to damn well try get around this!!

The issue you have is that, as you have touched upon, the pipe ends that fit into the rack suffer dissimilar corrosion, steel pipe, aluminium rack.

The only way to get the rack out of the car in many case is to cut the power steering pipes.

The next issue is that ends of the pipes are Porsche specific, not a standard JIC, AN etc fitting.

So while Pirtek and the like may be able to make you up a hose, the standard Porsche lines are made up of a mix of steel pipe and rubber hose, and are a long and an intricate shape, they will not have a compatible fitting to replicate the Porsche specific item that fits into the rack.

I recently installed a 997 Cup car electric power steering pump on my 996 and spent time working out and sourcing what I needed. - In addition to removing all of the original power steering lines.

I made up custom hoses and can provide the info if required, however my power steering pump is now located in the frunk, not bolted to the engine so a much shorter and less complicated run.

If you prepared to go totally custom on the lines and want the info let me know, however there is no straight forward, like for like aftermarket solution.

Steve R - thank you so much for taking the time to find and post that link, very interesting and could well be another route, I forwarded it to my guy and hoping to hear back from him (he is the one doing it so very much restricted to what he wants to do) I will be the one that is having these made but any fitment issues will be on my back if I don't get it right,

Crash7 - That is an issue too, as you say he may have to cut the pipe close to the connections but I'm hoping when it's off he can safely remove the ends for me to take, he did advise me that the fittings are like no other! typical, the pipes are being removed regardless so I will have them to hand and take them with me however I'm not holding to much hope,

your electric power steering conversion sounds very cool unfortunately not something I would likely be able to do myself and would cost me an arm and leg in labor costs if I had the place do it for me? :p I don't mind trying something outside the box so to speak, the guy dealing with this has been great and he knows me but I feel he thinks I'm going on a wild goose chase trying to get round buying OE pipes..

Cheers guys,

I feel your pain, having had to refurb my steering rack following the hard pipes splitting and facing the lottery of the return pipes. As with your case, they were welded into the rack.

In the end I bit the bullet and went with the OEM route on the basis once it was done, neither I or any future owner would need to worry again. Similar to the corroded brake lines I replaced two years ago.

Negligible depreciation on the motor comes at a cost - you have to keep investing to maintain its value.

Bullet now well and truly bitten :frustrated: :sad: Porsche are now £1k richer as of today and I'm livid,

Hamblemark - I hear what you are saying and sometimes just knowing it's now done and dusted is all I can take for comfort, It's got to be £2k spent on the most boring and unsatisfying automotive part possible steering rack + pipes! :what:

I could have pushed more to have something made up but time between work and the place I'm using getting a little frustrated with my car in the way I felt the pressure to just bite the bullet on this, not to mention the places I called giving me mixed signals, understandably wanting a week or so to sort something out but not sure they can get the Porsche type fitment,

Thanks for all the help, genuinely annoyed because I feel this can be done (and has been) as shown by some of you, I wish I had more time on it.

I really hate this time of the year adds to what feels like a waste of money Roads are awful around here thick of mud and flooded boo..

Sorry i couldn,t be of more help young man .. i simply didn't have an answer for you :(

Strange as it may seem .. i've not had to do this to date nor have my colleagues .

Pirtek

NXI20 said:
These guys should sort you out. Onsite service too :thumb:

https://www.pirtek.co.uk/

As stated just take them to your local Pirtek centre!

As a ex- Pirtek centre owner, we would either make new or repair power steering pipes most days at a fraction of OEM price.

Lee

Hi mate, no thank you for getting back to me on this, really nice to have someone like yourself to just be able to contact :wink:

As you say It was a hard one to diagnose, one reason why this has been an issue on the car for the last two owners I would imagine! I just ended up being the one to get it sorted, this isn't a dig at all to either owner by the way! what I mean is I don't think anyone of them would put it down to play in the rack itself, I certainly didn't, within 1min of test driving I felt this knocking through the steering wheel and I was thinking 200-400 max will sort this, Centre gravity changed all sorts on this already according to the invoices, so I did track rods anti roll bar bushes drop link, suspension arms and now new rack, the pipes are just the unlucky side of having to change the rack as you know on most of these older 911's, I did hear the steering rack is not a common fault more so now you say it!

Thanks again

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back