Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steve Wright's Serious Moddin' - SSK solid bush/bearing

Hi Alex
Can you add me to the list for your next run please, would like one for my 997.
Adrian

Ok :thumbs:

Ok :thumbs:

Hi Alex, if you have any spare or any plans to make more, I would like one please?

No problem - I'll keep you posted. :thumbs:

I can do with a set too Alex.
Thanks

:thumbs:

Fitted my SSK today and after a short test-drive, I'm just kicking myself that a) I didn't fit it months ago, when I first got it and b) that I've no real excuse to do some more driving while we're still on restricted movement...

It's hard to believe that the standard shifter can make gear changes feel so un-mechanical but the SSK transforms it.
Reminds me a lot of my MK1 MX-5 now, which I think is one of the best boxes I've ever used.

:thumbs:

:thumbs: Glad you're impressed.

Many thanks :)

Got your SSK a few months ago, it's taken me a few months to pull my finger out and do it.

Removal of the centre console bit caused me the most grief, the thing would not come out. Ended up taking out the vertical console part out so I could get more wriggle room.

Found a load of dodgy looking wiring and a tracker. Also remnants of the old GSM car phone which was part of the PCM. The audio install was bodged by the garage, lot's of superfluous adapters and level changers, but they didn't use the preout that was available from the HU, bizarre.

Any way, the conversion was the easy bit. I refitted it and found I'd marked the wrong part and the gear change was awful, notchy and not pleasant. That was when I found out the green alignment tool had gone up from £3 to £18, which annoyed me. I asked for help which Maldren kindly offered. In our conversation it turns out the tool only works with the original shift. Maldren came to the rescue with an original shifter. So I installed that, got it all aligned using the plastic widget, counted the number of threads, removed the original shifter and put the SSK on.

Now it's much better, it gives the action more heft and the sloppiness is gone. If given the choice I'd prefer slightly longer action, but overall a worthwhile improvement.

Now to re-assemble the interior ...

Great mod by Alex, fitted mine some time ago and it's perfect..

Darren.

So the enigma of the often referenced 'Alex's Short Shift Kit' is revealed!!

As a more occasional viewer I've missed this thread until now. Alex, I've just sent you a pm :)

SSK

Hi all I'm new here so the first thing I thought I'd do is tap a long standing member :)

Is Alexs' kit still available? sounds like something I would love to do as I was considering a DesignTek short shift.

My gear change is currently aweful, I'm constantly scared trying to shift too quickly from second into third as there is only vague difference between third and first.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back