Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What does the sport button do on a 997.1 GT3?

Roro said:
squelch said:
Senoj said:
The only 'map" that changes in sport mode is the torque curve as a result of the timing of the exhaust flaps opening a tad earlier. There is no throttle map change. It engages a slightly less aggressive traction control.
It's a bit more complex than just exhaust flaps (they're open all the time in Sport). It's a different map and throttle response is noticeably sharper. Here's a pic of the section in my owner's manual:

It's a bit confusing, but the key part of the excerpt / image you included in your post is the last sentence, which says torque values are the same whether the Sport button is on or off

Ahhhh... I've just worked out what that excerpt from the manual is trying to say. When the exhaust valves are open, there is a natural drop in torque as there is less back pressure in the exhaust system. The car therefore adjusts the map to bring torques values back UP (hence the torque increase) to where they are normally with the valves closed. Hence the torque values are the same whether the Sport button is on or off...

Roro said:
C4Silver said:
This is interesting, I don't have a SPORT button on my 2007MY C4S ?

Which seems a bit odd reading the posts above as it is a S ?

It's only there if you have the Sports Chrono Package fitted (the silly stop watch thing on the top of the dash)

Ah...... in that case I don't have it, I think that's the only option not ticked on the list from the original owner.......

Thanks,

Roro said:
squelch said:
Senoj said:
The only 'map" that changes in sport mode is the torque curve as a result of the timing of the exhaust flaps opening a tad earlier. There is no throttle map change. It engages a slightly less aggressive traction control.
It's a bit more complex than just exhaust flaps (they're open all the time in Sport). It's a different map and throttle response is noticeably sharper. Here's a pic of the section in my owner's manual:

It's a bit confusing, but the key part of the excerpt / image you included in your post is the last sentence, which says torque values are the same whether the Sport button is on or off

No, I don't think they are the key parts at all - Nowhere does it suggest max torque is increased. The last sentence ("The maximum engine speed and torque values are the same when Sport mode is switched on or off.") is simply there to clarify that the max engine speed and torque values are finite and will not change in Sport - presumably just in case some numpty thinks it will remove the rev limiter and they can just keep revving to release some extra bit of magic.

The key parts (as I see it) are in the previous sentence where it clearly explains, "When Sport mode is switched on a power- and torque-optimised engine map is simultaneously activated for the lower and medium engine speed range". Key points being, the torque is "optimised" at LOWER and MEDIUM revs. Exhaust valves alone will not achieve this.

It's all about where in the rev range they are delivered (presumably as lower down torque is better for exiting corners on a track perhaps..??)

My car definitely feels more eager at lower revs in Sport than it does in Normal and it's not just a placebo effect of the louder exhaust note. I'm not saying it's night vs day but it is noticeable that something has changed.

The manual is talking nonsense really. Why would you not 'optimise ' power and torque in normal mode..

I have a .2 now and also zero difference to power, throttle, torque with the sport button pressed.

It's an 'exhaust ' button really 😂

Senoj said:
The manual is talking nonsense really. Why would you not 'optimise ' power and torque in normal mode..
Er, you would and er, it does. BUT at different engine speeds (revs). You really need to read the whole sentence - you seem to be overlooking the words "lower and medium engine speed" which not only give some rather important context but are crucial to the key point of the sentence.

In Normal mode the engine has the same (presumably still "optimised") power and torque outputs, but NOT at the lower and medium engine speeds where Porsche would like them to be when in Sport mode. Probably due to their obligations to meet noise / emissions requirements at pre-determined engine speeds, and make the car "suitable" for real world driving.

Senoj said:
I have a .2 now and also zero difference to power, throttle, torque with the sport button pressed.

It's an 'exhaust ' button really 😂
That surprises me - it should have a similar effect as in the Gen1 to give lower rev torque delivery (for prompter acceleration when exiting turns on a track). I thought the Gen 2 had a more advanced "variable valve" exhaust system??? Seems that was a waste of R&D money then!

My 997 GTS on the other hand simply has a more sensitive accelerator pedal in Sport mode and does nothing to the power / torque delivery characteristics of the engine's output. The power / torque delivery is the same for equivalent engine speeds, it's just you don't need to push the pedal as far.

The gen 2 has more advanced variable exhaust valve timing I believe. Not exhaust pipe flaps.

The torque may well be different but it's due to the exhaust change not a specific engine map. I suppose you can term that a 'map" which what I believe the writer (translater) of the owners manual may have done.

Try unplugging the exhaust actuator then drive it. Ie take the exhaust pipe valve change out of the equation. Exhaust will be open all the time and the button will make zero difference to the way the engine delivers power.

Somewhere inside the Porsche GT dept in 2005/6...

"This car is great!! But we need more noise, more excitement, these German emissions and noise laws mean our beautiful new GT car is very quiet for a sporty car"

"How about we have some clever exhaust valves that open and make more noise when the driver wants it"

"Yes, but if we do that then we lose torque because we lose back pressure"

"Well then we adjust the engine map to compensate and improve the torque in those areas it drops when the exhaust valves open"

"Good idea, let's set the car so that it does all of this with 1 button... hmm ... what do we call this fantastic noise making and torque increasing button... hmm... I wonder... "

"SPORT!"

"Perfect. Let us also put some disclaimers in the owners manual though so that people do not think that the car is actually any faster when they use this button..."

"Yes let's do that. The marketing team will be very happy with us!"

I doubt you are far off.

I think you can could actually gain torque with an increase in exhaust gas speed as a result of the switching. Not sure if the physics principles but torque is not all about back pressure. Higher Velocity of gasses is desirable.

I'm sure it's not mapped differently. Just the exhaust flow change could improve torque. Anyway, unplug the actuator and use the butt dyno
:thumb:

I am glad of the op's ask here and the replies.
New to the 997.1 GT3 experience and Thought the sport button would make the car louder and maybe sharper....in a 996 that i had eons age i had the button to make the exhaust louder and you could really hear the difference.
But in my GT3 it makes no difference,and if it does i can't tell. I do have the valves but also cross-over pipe fitted. I am assuming the x pipe is negating the louder exhaust when in sport.
So it seems an odd extra on the GT3. But i bet when speccing those canny porsche sales people said it is a must for resale!!

Fulla said:
I am glad of the op's ask here and the replies.
New to the 997.1 GT3 experience and Thought the sport button would make the car louder and maybe sharper....in a 996 that i had eons age i had the button to make the exhaust louder and you could really hear the difference.
But in my GT3 it makes no difference,and if it does i can't tell. I do have the valves but also cross-over pipe fitted. I am assuming the x pipe is negating the louder exhaust when in sport.
So it seems an odd extra on the GT3. But i bet when speccing those canny porsche sales people said it is a must for resale!!

Car doesn't need sports throttle maps and stuff. It's superfluous on GT3. Same as sports chrono, that does nowt except ruin the line of the dash..

Congrats on the new car btw :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back