Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bad News Day for my 996

Makes me think that using them is a good thing, seems likes of Alex`s well maintained keeps on running. Also some say that the brits seem to welch about high milers, maybe this is why.

My stance on it after racing motorbikes is keep changing the oil & filters well before time & its running in nice clean lubricant then, got to help. :cop:

.......and a good Italian tune-up once its warm.......everytime you use it :grin:

As Baz has said before though........cabs have the best engines. :)

Crank Bearings

Mine is just about to come back from the menders after spinning a bearing on no6 cylinder with 100k just up on the clock.

Had to source a secondhand crank in the end and it looked like mine already some form of rebuild before as it had strengthening rings/closed deck on the top of all bores.

Granted I only have the car a year, but...
It has a FULL service history, very regular oil changes, and has been used as a daily driver.
I really don't think how the car is used has much to do with worn crank bearings. It's very much mileage related, I believe Hartechs view is similar, and as per comments above perhaps should be looked on as a 'service item' beyond a certain mileage. Sure, the mileage seems to vary but I really wouldn't buy one of these cars above 100k miles without budgeting crank bearings and 'while you're in there' work.

I still think these are fantastic cheap cars for what they do. With all this work done I expect to have paid less than half of what a good 993 costs.

That's not good news for you but on the positive side your going to be in much better place when it comes back to you, interestingly all this talk about mileage...... I was cramming in some singer clips on you tube The other day and one of their brand spanking $600K cars had an engine warrantied for 100K miles and then it would need a complete re build.

Well it's been an interesting day!

The engine has been opened up, top and bottom and ....

Yes the crank bearings are showing signs of wear but nothing like the amount of copper in the oil!
This has come from the head, the oil scavenge pump has seized and has snapped the drive off the cam pulley.
Debris found its way into cylinder no. 1 and 2 so both pistons are damaged.

I've not heard of pump seizure like this before.

Have they been able to identify what was caught in the oil pump?
I've seen it a few times when its been part of a roller from the cam chain

Good question Mac I'll ask.

Sounds likely this is more frequent than I first suspected

90,000 miles. Oil analysis showed engine in good condition no significant wear. 2,000 miles later an oil change and look at the filter showed small flakes of copper.

No crank damage thankfully. Oil analysis is fine, but only shows the tiny tiny bits not bigger chunks apparently. I'd have thought that the two went hand in hand but there you go.

Jamesx19 said:
90,000 miles. Oil analysis showed engine in good condition no significant wear. 2,000 miles later an oil change and look at the filter showed small flakes of copper.

No crank damage thankfully. Oil analysis is fine, but only shows the tiny tiny bits not bigger chunks apparently. I'd have thought that the two went hand in hand but there you go.

This is why i gave up doing the oil analysis, failure mode is nothing, then immediately loads....so you'd be very very very lucky to catch it at oil analysis time

ballcock said:
Well it's been an interesting day!

The engine has been opened up, top and bottom and ....

Yes the crank bearings are showing signs of wear but nothing like the amount of copper in the oil!
This has come from the head, the oil scavenge pump has seized and has snapped the drive off the cam pulley.
Debris found its way into cylinder no. 1 and 2 so both pistons are damaged.

I've not heard of pump seizure like this before.

I've only just started reading EVO again, but from what I gather is this what happened to Jethro's 996?

Are you able to see from opening up the pump what has happened? I can imagine this happening if any debris gets in to the pump. There are no filters at all on the pump inlet.

MC

And this is one of the reasons we justified developing properly thought out, designed and tested larger engine alternatives.

Owners forced into a rebuild as a result of failures can spend a little more and get a whole lot more back while those wanting to keep the car and at mileages where they know they might fail (and cost more to fix because the crank has failed first) may not then be able to afford the extra of a crank AND larger engine - so we offer an incentive to have a preemptive rebuild.

For any technophiles interested in reading a long and very technical report on our oversized engines, I have made our internal report available to E-mail - just contact Sharon at [email protected] and she will send you a simple and straightforward reply to agree to some simple protection for our intellectual property - and she will send it to you.

Please don't request it if you are an armchair TV addict wanting to watch a video full of things you probably know anyway. This is a proper technical article and you would probably need to know something about engines and physics to get the most benefit from it - but at least it is available and contains information explaining why these engines perform so very well and the improvements you might expect.

We have a similar (but even longer) one about the 4 main problems that afflict these engines - that allows you to make up your own minds about all the rubbish so many spill out on these forums - beware though you might need to take your time reading it all and have some headache pills to hand!

Baz

I'm glad you spotted this thread Baz as you've been pointing to crank bearings for some time now, and unfairly taking flak for it (no good deed goes unpunished and all That!)
Just to be clear, tho my mechanics has confirmed that there IS wear in the main bearings some of them are through to the copper so I'm very happy that this work is getting done now.

@MC, the failed pump has been stripped and, of all things, a left hand thread M6 bolt was found jammed in there, causing the pump to seize. Heaven knows where this item came from, it certainly doesn't seem to be a Porsche item, unless some of you guys have come across similar?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back