Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Can the SPORT option be unlocked on the 997.1?

C11BRA

Suzuka
Edit.

It's a long story but I have just fitted a switch pack from a 997.1 GT3 which Doesn't have the now obsolete spoiler button but it does have the Sport button. I have examined the circuit board and cross referenced it with the wiring diagram (kindly supplied by an awesome forum member) and now that I fully understand the switch pack, it seems that my car is pre-wired with the correct Yellow with Yellow trace wire that signals sport mode to the initial ECU that would link to the DME. It seems that my cars DME has been reprogrammed and has the VIN & data from a 2007, orange 997.1 GT3 RS. (Why, I'm not yet sure, but if not for performance reasons, it may have been so that it communicates with the GT3 instrument cluster in my car.).

I have a Carista for my 2018 B9 A4 Avant. It is remarkable what hidden toys you can unlock with this bit of wizardry.

I wondered if the Porsche system could be coded to tell it that it has sport mode to see if it selects the 2nd map I suspect may also be in my modified DME.

My brain is hurting. But I love a challenge like this.

BTW. I have no desire for more power. The car is quite frankly, bonkers. But. I do like to play around. It's not a big deal if it's not worth exploring as I have other plans for these new switches any way, which is why I sourced the new switch bank.

Need an expert for this one me thinks.

Note. Even though the GT3 switch pack is slightly different inside and is marked TC off (my original switch says PSM off) the pin locations are consistent & resistor values were close enough to give me confidence to fit. The PSM still turns on & off correctly. Result!

The PASM switch have gained will be used in a future project. Just so happy to have lost the spoiler switch.

Original question.

Can you let me know what the SPORT button does on a 997.1? Is SPORT mode only available on S models?

I assume that the small extra light on the SPORT switch illuminates when in Sport mode.

Q1. Is there an indication in the instrument cluster that the car is in SPORT mode?

So, I imagine that the DME will select a more aggressive map with improved throttle response etc.
Q2.
Is this instantly noticeable when you select sport. Does the idle speed change for example?

Q3. Does the 997.1 have exhaust valves & if so, are these influenced by sport mode?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Can you let me know what the SPORT button does on a 997.

C11BRA said:
Hiya.

Me again.

Can you let me know what the SPORT button does on a 997.1? Is SPORT mode only available on S models?

I assume that the small extra light on the SPORT switch illuminates when in Sport mode.

Q1. Is there an indication in the instrument cluster that the car is in SPORT mode?

So, I imagine that the DME will select a more aggressive map with improved throttle response etc.
Q2.
Is this instantly noticeable when you select sport. Does the idle speed change for example?

Q3. Does the 997.1 have exhaust valves & if so, are these influenced by sport mode?

Thanks in advance.

I cna only speak with regard to a .2 but should be the same I think...

Q1. Is there an indication in the instrument cluster that the car is in SPORT mode? Yes (at least there is on a .2, later PDK with sport flappy paddle wheels its on the wheel)

So, I imagine that the DME will select a more aggressive map with improved throttle response etc. Yes, this is even noticeable on manual cars. The throttle just feels more eager, on auto the gear change map is changed to hold onto gears for longer.
Q2.
Is this instantly noticeable when you select sport. Does the idle speed change for example? Can;t say I've noticed a difference with idle but it is instantly noticeable when driving.

Q3. Does the 997.1 have exhaust valves & if so, are these influenced by sport mode? No, PSE has the valves but that has a seperate button if fitted.

You should probably wait for a 997.1 owner to respond, but I thought they got loud mode PSE in Sport mode.

In terms of map change it's largely throttle to pedal mapping, not the actual map.

PSM change and a rev limit change (soft to hard) accompany it.

Hertsdriver said:
Its in your manual, but if you cant be bothered to go and get it a google 20 second search... :grin: (right click, 'open image in new tab')

Can't be bothered. A little bit rude.

But I see your point. Maybe I shouldn't ask questions huh?

Thanks for the screen print. Just what I wanted to know.

:thumb:

jonttt said:
C11BRA said:
Hiya.

Me again.

Q2.

Thanks in advance.

Q1. Is there an indication in the instrument cluster that the car is in SPORT mode? Yes (at least there is on a .2, later PDK with sport flappy paddle wheels its on the wheel)

So, I imagine that the DME will select a more aggressive map with improved throttle response etc. Yes, this is even noticeable on manual cars. The throttle just feels more eager, on auto the gear change map is changed to hold onto gears for longer.
Q2.
Is this instantly noticeable when you select sport. Does the idle speed change for example? Can;t say I've noticed a difference with idle but it is instantly noticeable when driving.

Q3. Does the 997.1 have exhaust valves & if so, are these influenced by sport mode? No, PSE has the valves but that has a seperate button if fitted.

Don't mean to be and ar53 but if if you have Chrono and PSE on the Gen 1 then hitting the sports button will activate both together as there is only a separate button for the PSE when the car does not have Chrono.

Thefinn said:
jonttt said:
C11BRA said:
Hiya.

Me again.

Q2.

Thanks in advance.

Q2.

Don't mean to be and ar53 but if if you have Chrono and PSE on the Gen 1 then hitting the sports button will activate both together as there is only a separate button for the PSE when the car does not have Chrono.

Fair enough I did disclaim that I could only comment re a .2

I did not realise that if you have PSE and sport Chrono in a .1 there is no separate PSE button. Does not really make sense as that means you can't have PSE open unless you are in sport mode which is I guess why they changed that in the .2 :dont know:

In a Turbo it means you have selected 'warp' drive :thumbs:

Extra 10 sec over boost, sharpens the gearbox and the throttle response. As I have a DSC module PASM has to be selected but if it's std, PASM is active and the suspension stiffens up. This is the good thing about the DSC box, you can have PASM on even when Sport is not active, plus it stays on until you actually turn it off.

In Sport Plus it also allows launch control :thumbs:

jonttt said:
Thefinn said:
jonttt said:
C11BRA said:
Hiya.

Me again.

Q2.

Thanks in advance.

Q2.

Fair enough I did disclaim that I could only comment re a .2

I did not realise that if you have PSE and sport Chrono in a .1 there is no separate PSE button. Does not really make sense as that means you can't have PSE open unless you are in sport mode which is I guess why they changed that in the .2 :dont know:

I know its not the best set up and i guess why a lot of people disconnect the cable to put PSE on full time in the gen1, glad they sorted it for the gen2. You can also get round this with the DSC module as this allows you to select all of the functions on / off with more presses of each button, another reason why they are so good on the gen1.

BTW a bit off topic but did you buy some carbon mirror triangles off me on ebay? if so i hope you liked them

C11BRA said:
Hiya.

Me again.

Q2.

Thanks in advance.

A1, Puts sport up on the dash board.

A2, The throttle response is vastly improved, it's night and day different.

A3, If spec'd with pse the the sport button does control this.

SPORT CHRONO PACKAGE PLUS – A GREAT PORSCHE 997 OPTION

If you're in the market for a used Porsche 997, it's worth looking for one with the optional Sport Chrono Package Plus which, contrary to popular belief, is much more than simply a stopwatch on the dash top.

Part of the Sport Chrono Package is a small button in the centre console marked 'Sport'. Pressing this instantly makes the car feel livelier and more exciting. It does this in a number of ways:

First, it changes the engine management system. The throttle pedal response becomes more sensitive, and the engine is essentially 'remapped' to make it feel more responsive and livelier, although overall power remains unchanged.

Second, if your car has PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management), this is also set to Sport mode, with firmer damping to give even better handling, although you can also set this by pressing the PASM button.

Third, in the case of Tiptronic S transmission, pressing the Sport button changes the automatic gearchange characteristics. Shifts are faster and lower gears are held longer, while lifting off the throttle immediately leads to a down-change. Furthermore, when in manual mode, the transmission will no longer automatically change up a gear as the revs approach the redline – you really do have full control. It makes Tiptronic cars much more fun and, indeed, I wouldn't buy a 997 Tiptronic without Sport Chrono

Finally, pressing the Sport button alters PSM (Porsche Stability Management) so that the trigger threshold is raised so that assistance doesn't kick in as early, allowing you to get more of a feel of what the car's doing during cornering and braking. Yet if you push things too far, PSM will still come to your rescue.

And on top of all that, you also get that chronometer, er, on top of the dash. Again, though, there is much more to this than meets the eye. Controlled by the stalk for the onboard computer, the chronometer is an accurate stopwatch that allows you to time a drive. In addition, it lets you measure intermediate times as well as the total. The large hand on the dial measures seconds, while the two smaller ones show minutes and hours. In addition, a digital display on the dial shows hours and minutes, while the same information also appears on the onboard computer readout in the centre of the dash.

The final benefit of Sport Chrono Package Plus is the ability to allocate personal settings for up to three different ignition keys, so individual drivers can have various functions set to how they like them. This is one of those potentially useful features that the majority of users probably never get around to using, but it is can be genuinely useful. Functions that can be set include the fade-out time for the lights, whether the wipers operate manually or automatically, whether or not the rear wiper operates when reverse gear is selected, automatic door locking, and climate control settings.

So with all the above in mind, you can see why the Sport Chrono Pack Plus is worth sniffing out.

Yep PSE (if you have it) being tagged onto the Sport button was a pain on the .1 I must say. Meant at Bedford I couldn't have the throttle sensitivity I had driven every mile in whilst having the exhaust quieter to come under the sound levels.

All great info chaps. Thank you.

The reason for asking was:

It's a long story but I have just fitted a switch pack from a 997.1 GT3 which doesn't have the now obsolete spoiler button but it does have the Sport button (& Pasm). I have examined the circuit board and cross referenced it with the wiring diagram (kindly supplied by an awesome forum member) and now that I fully understand the switch pack, it seems that my car is pre-wired with the correct Yellow with Yellow trace wire that signals sport mode to the initial ECU that would link to the DME. It seems that my cars DME has been reprogrammed and has the VIN & data from a 2007, orange 997.1 GT3 RS. (Why, I'm not yet sure, but if not for performance reasons, it may have been so that it communicates with the GT3 instrument cluster in my car.).

I have a Carista for my 2018 B9 A4 Avant. It is remarkable what hidden toys you can unlock with this bit of wizardry.

I wondered if the Porsche system could be coded to tell it that it has sport mode to see if it selects the 2nd map I suspect may also be in my modified DME.

My brain is hurting. But I love a challenge like this.

BTW. I have no desire for more power. The car is quite frankly, bonkers. But. I do like to play around. It's not a big deal if it's not worth exploring as I have other plans for these new switches any way, which is why I sourced the new switch bank.

Need an expert for this one me thinks.

Note. Even though the GT3 switch pack is slightly different inside and is marked TC off (my original switch says PSM off) the pin locations are consistent & resistor values were close enough to give me confidence to fit. The PSM still turns on & off correctly. Result!

The PASM switch have gained will be used in a future project. Just so happy to have lost the spoiler switch.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back