Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bad News Day for my 996

ballcock

Paul Ricard
Well folks another engine has joined the ranks of the crippled and the dead ...

Long story short, I had my car in for an oil change, and copper swarf was found in the oil and filter.
The thinking at the moment is that it's worn crank bearings.
The engine is out , I should get news of the extent of the damage within a few days. I'll keep you all in the know.

To be fair, I'd been chatting back and forth with Grant from Hartech over the last year or so, and he DID warn me that they are seeing more and more higher mileage (above 100k miles, but some significantly less than that! ) 996's with crank bearing wear.

I'm not trying to start a war of words with 'well mines done xxxk miles and is fine" ... I'm just giving you my experience first hand, and it really does sound to me like Grant was looking into his crystal ball when he mentioned crank bearing failure to me a few months ago!

The next step is to find out if Ive caught it early enough to safe the crank.
Either way , it's going to be spendy!

Oh Ball ***** :sad:

:floor:

Sorry to hear that buddy, go for a few beers tonight and worry about it tomorrow :drink:

Sorry to hear that, never want to hear about an engine failure.

Would you mind commenting on how many miles the engine had done?

Not a good day for M96 news :sad:

Hopefully you will have avoided the worst of the damage.

Much appreciated guys, sympathy definitely helps! :sad:

It's in or around 120k miles, apparently Hartech are finding more and more failed crank bearings around this mileage (and earlier), and these guys know what they're talking about .. so keep a close eye on oil if you're north of 80k miles.

It will be interesting to see just how much damage there is to the bearings as I believe I caught it at an early enough stage, certainly no ominous engine noises..

Blimey, mines on 167,ooo!

Use it daily/weekly though, as it's my only car.

Due an oil change actually.
Fingers crossed for your prognosis. 🤞🤞

141k daily slag here. Must admit, I'm not too fussed when the time comes and have money in the bank to cover it.

...reinforces the increasingly if grudgingly accepted view that engines with north of 80k are living on borrowed time...and anyone pontificating that their m96/7 engine is on 80k plus miles and is in perfect condition is simply deluding themselves...

Sorry to hear of your news OP; I have been in the same position so understand the impact...Good luck.

Nowt wrong with my engine pal. Doesn't even use any oil apart from an egg cup full after a 2.5k blitz every July.

Really sorry to hear this and hopefully you've caught it in time. Once done you'll have some peace of mind so you just have to take the positive. It definitely seems like the cranks can be a weak point and I'm just at 90k now on my 3.4. I change the oil twice a year, it maybe does 6k a year and I have an oil analysis done. It'll show something at some point I'm sure and then I think it's time to call the Bolton emergency services!!!!

Could the crank bearings be a cost effective maintenance item,many BMW "S" derived engines are having their crank bearings changed around the 80k mark.

What would it cost on a 996/997 ?

alpinaman said:
Could the crank bearings be a cost effective maintenance item,many BMW "S" derived engines are having their crank bearings changed around the 80k mark.

What would it cost on a 996/997 ?

It would cost a lot more than on the BMW engine as you need to remove tge engine and take it all apart, plenty of 'whilst you are in there' parts to do. At least £1k cheaper than waiting until your crank is ruined though.

MC

Mine is / was a daily driver and never used oil ...

Just sayin!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back