Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nick being hounded at the Ring

Senoj said:
911UK said:
for comparison this is what a slow and steady 8'15 minute BTG lap looks like from inside a 996 GT3

from 2008 so before Go-Pro's so excuse the video quality

Blimey, doesn't time fly, over 10 years ago.

Good going as loads of traffic early on.

Simpler times when GT3 aero didnt eliminate lift (always intersting on those bumps) and of course the temperamental Toyo tyres that were never quite consistent lap to lap (cue all the abs) until they were actually worn flat :mrgreen:

Still a year before I finally found outright pace on that set up, how I miss that original Zakspeed Viper aka Moses

not even an RS. CS yes and highly modded. get the facts right first ;-)

I would say Nick's car is good for mid - late 7 mins and he has done more laps than I have hot dinners in my life and that GT3 does not look on edge. and that car is a weapon and suited to the ring well.

CarraraWhite said:
911UK said:
how I miss that original Zakspeed Viper aka Moses

Moses :?:

Just as Moses parted the Red Sea, the Viper did a fantastic job of sweeping through TF traffic. If you could follow it close behind, it greatly assisted getting a decent lap.

NXI20 said:
CarraraWhite said:
911UK said:
how I miss that original Zakspeed Viper aka Moses

Moses :?:

Just as Moses parted the Red Sea, the Viper did a fantastic job of sweeping through TF traffic. If you could follow it close behind, it greatly assisted getting a decent lap.

and training to get around in under 8 mins, had some memorable laps in those earlier days trying to keep up and learning the tricks of how to pass on a TF day :thumbs: fond memories :thumbs:

IIRC it went off and over the barrier and down the drop at the "Miss-Hit-Miss"

:?:

I do t think that was the 290R it's the earlier incarnation but the added advantage the Alfa had was that Max Banks was driving it who is apart from owning Alfaholics with his brother is essentially a pro driver and races all manner of cars and has probably been doing the ring since he could drive. However you could see the Porsche driver not trying as hard as he probably could have gone. I'm building an Alfa 290R but I'm under no illusions that was just a very good marketing ploy 😂

On the subject a good test by Chris Harris on the 290R

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9BuZmJmpTdk

Holy thread resurrection Batman :lol:

Trouble is there are so many fast and faster modern cars these days you can only really rely on having a better knowledge of the Nordschleife. Obviously this was a retro recreation so probably more of an even keel. New cars however are more and more automated with traction control, automatic suspension and paddles et cetera.

Nothing these days is like the analogue 996 GT3. No PSM, PDK, RWS, etc and only ABS to assist or hinder you. Real talent lies with those such as Stefan Bellof and others who had to do it themselves and not rely on technology or AI.

Pip

The yellowbird RUF film/video takes some beating from the perspective of driver skill in an unassisted car

I remember the 1st time I saw that RUF film in the the Porsche centre in Newcastle in about 199something, must have stood there for 20 minutes watching it and just thinking it was the amazing thing I'd ever seen outside of a Hollywood film.

There are lots of Green Hell videos but this one was pretty epic, the guy is a bit of an acquired taste but he doesn't say a lot, which is testament to the speed. FFwd to 6 minutes to miss out the build up.

Slippydiff said:
Familiar face/car, nice video, a real shame about the news at the end though :sad:

Nice touch at the end Nick. :thumb:

Slippydiff said:
Familiar face/car, nice video, a real shame about the news at the end though :sad:

Matt's doing really well & has been back at work since the start of October.

Form an orderly queue for your 4.0 conversion ;) I know he's already got one being done at the moment. Mine was the third one he'd done. According to Wayne's dyno, it produces around 360ft/lb of torque which you can definitely feel. Due to the way it makes its power & torque now, I've got the rev limit set at 7900 which should help extend the life of the engine.

Part of the reason for going full-fat 4.0 was the original crank had done 170K miles and although it would have probably been ok for another 50K, it was getting close to its wear limits & you can't regrind them. That & the need for (another) new set of rods at circa £6k meant it was actually cheaper to do the 4.0 - man maths wins again!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back